Other Taranis is on its way!!

murankar

Staff member
Yes the fbl does the mixing for me so I have to setup with no mixing. ER9X has templates that you can use right in the firmware. You go to the template screen and they have a set of basic presets for a few air craft. It makes the setup a little easier if you are going the flybar route. I had to find a basic file on the open9x forum that gave the very basic setup that can be modified to suite my needs and right now [without a heli present] it seems to be working.

I tried to set up a file from scratch and could not get the stick inputs to map to the right channels. When I set up my FT Versa with elevons I got it to work like a charm with my servos on channel 1 and 2.

Stambo

The heli template in the Taranis I assume would suit the Trex and all it's clones, unfortunately for me Esky did everything backwards so it did not work.
I also tried to set up from scratch but the mixing is beyond me at the moment.
The wizard in Companion9x got me close and I just had to finish it off.
Everything seems to be about right, I just need to do the blade tracking and it's ready to fly.
I spooled it up tonight but I have a bit of a vibration.
I'm hoping that sorting the tracking will cure it.
It has new blades and new main and feathering shafts.
Levelled the swash and did the mechanical setup and I think I got it pretty close.
Esky might get it's first flight in a long while either tomorrow or Thursday night. :)

Have you tried using Companion 9x on the PC?
I was a bit intimidated by it at first but once I loaded the models from the tx to the pc and started looking around them it all became a lot more clear.
First thing I did was make a backup copy of the models I downloaded off the tx and then dissected what was there.
Then just started trying things to see what happens.
Companion9x allows you to simulate the tx so you can pretty much see straight away what effect you changes have made.
And because there is a backup you can start again If you stuff it all up. :)

murankar

Staff member
I use eepe and it is similar to companion9x. I have most of the same features minus the wizard. I can simulate the tx and look at the diagnostics through a monitor.

Mixing on er9x is done on the heli setup screen with swash type. I have that blank and have two servos reversed.

Since I don't have the servos installed I had to set them up as if they were in the air frame. Right now I have some subtrims to look at in the radio but according to the aftermarket zyx-s program all of my sticks and knobs are set as perfect as I can get.

One day I hope to get a quick screen cast of the setup process. Actually if I do both the radio and gyro it could be at least a 30 minute video.

Good luck and don't for get to check your main gear. It could be out of round slightly or not perfectly flat.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Stambo

I managed fine without the wizard on everything else but I would have had a lot more problems without it on the heli.

Forgot to mention main gear is new also. :)

Last edited:

Stambo

I found my vibration!! New main blades were way out of balance.
I never thought new blades could be that bad.
Lucky I had another set. Checked the balance and fitted them, tied it down spun them up and got the tracking sorted.
Now it's smooth as the proverbial babies bottom.
I did a couple of test hovers in the shed and called it quits.
I don't remember this thing being so twitchy and precise.
Time for some DR and Expo.
Not enough room in the shed and too much wind outside so the re maiden will have to wait.
I have not flown this thing since just before I got my 500 and the last flight was a disaster.
I flew when I should not have, a gust of wind at the wrong time resulted in a blade strike on the lawn.
I just put it away in disgust and waited for the 500 to arrive.
Now if only that wind would die down. :)

Stambo

What size helicopter were the blades so out of balance with?

Esky belt cp 450, they are way out.
27.92 grams
24.56 gram
That's nearly 3.5 grams difference.

For some reason I thought I had checked them but obviously not.
The second set I had already balanced.

Top Bottom