Other Taranis is on its way!!

Stambo

As the heading says, my Taranis is on it's way.
Tracking says left country of origin so I hope to see it in a week or so.
With HK sending things through all sorts of strange places my last package that contained a battery went through Fiji before coming here.
I have to say I am just a little excited.:)

Stambo

Woohoo, arrived in New Zealand, I should be opening my late Christmas prezzy tomorrow. :biggrin1:
I cannot wait. I ordered it December 11 and should have it January 7.
I figure that's not bad for HK this time of the year.

Derek

That Taranis really seems like an awesome tx. Bruce, from RCModelReviews really really likes his. If I didn't have all my Spektrum equipment, I'd probably be real interested in getting the Taranis. I hope it works well for you.

Stambo

Yeah Bruces glowing recommendation is what made me decide to get one.
I already have a 9x that has run out of model memory (I have a lot of toys).
I was thinking about the 9xr but then saw the Taranis and decided I had to have one.
From all the reviews I have seen it should be streets ahead of the 9xr.
And I can use my 9x module for my Banggood stuff.
I think the stock 9x with the frsky module will probably be sold with the Esky 450 thats gathering dust on a shelf in my model room.
Not sure yet, I have a Dynam radio that may end up with the Esky.
Then I can try buddy box the 9x with the Taranis for my son.

Derek

Sounds like you have a plan, Stambo! I hope it all works out for you. Good luck and I hope you share your thoughts and opinions of the Taranis when you get time to play with it.

Tony

Staff member
Went ahead and cleaned this up. I will say this, I was not offended with that remark, it was the context. But yeah lol.

Stambo

I got it!!!
It arrived yesterday at work so I ripped open the packaging and there it was.
I plugged in the charger and started reading about how to make it work.
Surprisingly within 30 minutes of getting home I had plugged in my 9x module and I was flying my V911 around the lounge.
An hour or so later I had throttle hold, triple rates and expo.
I also have voice alerts for timer, rates and tx battery level.
Ok for the V911 this is a bit gimmicky but when it comes to FPV it will be awesome.
It also has a telemetry system. Depending on what RX and sensors you have, you can get it to moniter aircraft battery level, temperature, RSSI, altitude and who knows what else. You can also get it to read out the numbers for you, either at certain intervals or at the flick if a switch. The one that interests me the most for FPV is altitude. It also mentions variometer, someone here may be able to correct me but I believe that it measures slight changes in altitude and returns them as a changing audible tone.

I am liking the configurability of this thing.
You can assign any function or modifier to any switch.
I have not even touched the surface of what it is capable of.
There is a very steep learning curve but I have been looking at various Youtube videos for days in anticipation of receiving it.
Once you understand the basic concept of the opentx software it starts getting clearer.
Also there are many ways to achieve the same result, some better than others and you need to decide which one to use.

Ok so far I have only setup and flown V911 and V959. They don't fly any better or differently than with the 9x but I have lots of new 3 position switches and dials to play with, heaps more model memories and it talks to me. Beats talkin to myself. :)

I won't post pictures and vids until I discover something worth posting.
There are plenty of Taranis pictures and vids out there already.
Next it's my 450 quads turn, and then the FPV quad.
I will leave the Trex 500 till last as I think I will need to learn a whole lot more before I set that up.

murankar

Staff member
Yes please post up. Let us know about firmware updates and such. I think it has a port for the cables to do so.

I would also check if opentx is better than er9x. They are very similar in nature but u think that er9x is geared more towards th9x.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

That really sounds exciting, Stambo! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you learn more about it.

Stambo

Yes please post up. Let us know about firmware updates and such. I think it has a port for the cables to do so.

I would also check if opentx is better than er9x. They are very similar in nature but u think that er9x is geared more towards th9x.

I think the reason open tx was written for the Taranis was because all the switches are 3 position and the extra pots.
I may be wrong but I understand they can use the same eepe files.
I have not even hooked up to the PC yet, that will probably be done tonight after work.
I'll do a backup of what's already on there with the companion program and then try a firmware update.

I see in a lot of the sales stuff they say it does not come with an sd card but mine had one so I guess I am lucky.
Apparently you need one for the voice files.

Just started playing a bit with curves last night.
Again a bit of a learning curve but once you understand it, it becomes more clear.
You can set up a series of custom curves and assign them to a switch so you can change them really easy.
You have access to heaps of custom curves and once you set them up you can easily use them on other models.

I know I'm gonna love this tx. :)

murankar

Staff member
I really want to get back to er9x. I just need to have the time to sit down and work on it.

Biggest issue was trying to get a base model with 0 mixing so the zyx-s will work.

Stambo

I updated the firmware last night.
Went without a hitch.
Using the companiontx program it was real easy.
The hardest thing was getting the PC to recognize the Taranis, and even that wasn't difficult.
Just followed the instructions on the opentx forum and installed the driver they have linked.

Here's my Taranis.
image.jpg

At first I wondered what I would do with all those 3 position switches and 4 pots but I think I will eventually use most of them.
The right and left side pots have little paddles on them so the RH one will be the tilt on my FPV cam.
It is right where my finger sits comfortably, so ergonomic.

I hooked it up to Phoenix last night and have access to 4 switches that are fully assignable to whatever I want.

I am starting to like this opentx firmware. :)

Now it's time to bind it with my night fly quad.
I have a receiver controlled switch that has 7 outputs so I want to start cycling lights.

Hmm, might be time for the bomb drop system. :)

image.jpg

Stambo

The more I mess with this Taranis, the more I understand it.
I've set up a model for my X quad and flew it, not too much different than the 9x except I have to get rid of the ratchet on the throttle, I hate it. When it comes to fine adjustments for hover I prefer a smooth throttle action.

I set up a flight sim model and put some custom curves and 3d settings in it. I know i can do that in Phoenix but doing it in the TX all helps with learning.
Is it really as easy to fly inverted as it is in the sim.
I have always been too scared to attempt it but after setting up the tx and trying it in the sim, maybe with a bit more practice I might give it a go for real.
Maybe I should set up my Esky and give it a go. Still not game to risk the Trex.

Stambo

Took a bit of doing but I set up the Esky last night.
Learnt heaps along the way.
I used the companion program and set up a helicopter model with the wizard.
So many options but I managed to get it all working, backwards!
The servos on the Esky are backwards, single at the front 2 at the back.
After messing around for a while trying to reverse individual servos and making a total mess of it, I found a setting that reverses aileron and elevator direction. (One or both). Too easy.
Luckily I had backed up the setup before trying to "fix" it.
Now it's almost ready to go. Just gotta put the blades on, check the pitch and tracking and fly it.
Hopefully gyro setup shouldn't be too hard as I have figured how to add the pots to the mix.
One pot for tweaking HH and another for rate. Once it's dialled in I will check the numbers and just lock them to a switch.
Tx is all set up with 2 idle up curves so if it flys ok I may just attempt a loop or inverted flight.
After a lot more practice on the sim that is. :)
Good or bad results, the camera will be on. :)

murankar

Staff member
That's a lot of programming to learn. I just figured out how to set up er9x without swash mixing. I have three throttle curves and two pitch curves for all flight modes. I have 1 pitch curve shared by 2 flight modes.

Slowly learning It myself.

Stambo

That's a lot of programming to learn. I just figured out how to set up er9x without swash mixing. I have three throttle curves and two pitch curves for all flight modes. I have 1 pitch curve shared by 2 flight modes.

Slowly learning It myself.

Is the "no swash mixing" for a flybarless system?
I think there was an option for that in the set up companion9x model wizard.
What I have been doing is use the wizard as a starting point and then study all the mixes to see how it is done.
I could just accept what the wizard gives me but that just doesn't do it for me. I have to know how it works.
For me the easiest way to learn that is dissect something that works, make a change and see what happens and why.
All the other models I have done from scratch but the heli mixing at the moment goes over my head a bit.
I WILL figure it out a bit at a time. :)

Top Bottom