450 Tail not locking

concept30

OMG this video took forever to upload, Derek is probably asleep or at work, Tony can help too if he doesnt mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Did you say you are in Rate mode 120%? If so, HOLY CRAP!!! :shocked:

If the servo is moving on the boom, you need to stop this movement. And is that an analog servo on teh tail? If so, get a digital one on there quickly!

gaurdian

I have that same bird....first off fix that servo arm holding that servo the servo should never move ever.....second set up your gyro setting to over 51% min and 63% max for head holding....your at 20% you say that is rate mode and not good for just starting out....and you said you wanted to put that Cyclic align 415m on for your tail servo? not sure but that's not going to work..... you need a tail servo and if your gyro is the blade g210 you'll want to buy a eflite #eflrds76 servo for the gyro....just my 2 cents is all hope it helps out...

Hey Dustin, if I sound a bit harsh here then I apologise mate, but I don't think your following any of the guidelines we are suggesting to you. Derek has done a really good video on setting that tail up, also the link I sent you by blade helis is another very good setup tutorial on getting that tail working.

Looking at your last video that tail servo looks broke and is moving about the boom. If it's broke or it's an analog servo, GET IT OFF. Like Tony said, the DS415 is a huge improvement, I've got a DS76T on my tail...

Watch those videos again and again until you know exactly what to do, it's the ONLY way your going to get this bird in the air...And take your time over it, I don't know much about helis, but that Blade 450 3D I can take apart and put together with my eyes closed...lol..

The settings on your tx for the gyro are ok at 20 rate mode and 70 heading hold for now, but I'm guessing that 70 will need tweaking once you get the mechanical side sorted out...

Watch those videos over and over again until you know what your doing...

I hope to see this bird in the air soon.....

Derek

Hey Dustin...you need to get that tail servo holder fixed. You can't fly a helicopter with anything broken....nothing broken. Once you get that broken piece fixed, go ahead and install the DS415M. It's not the perfect servo for a tail but it will work to get you flying.

So...install the new servo, then power up the helicopter. Get the servo arm at 90 degrees and then you need to get the tail linkage rod adjusted so that the tail slider is in the middle of the tail rotor axle. Then do what I suggested in my video by spooling up the helicopter, in Rate Mode, and seeing if the tail will hold.

concept30

I have been following the guidelines, I adjusted the push Rod and it started to spin like a top, but like Derek said, keep adjusting it, and thats what i been doing, its going to be raining alot here for the next few days so i wont be able to test anything for a while.

by the way Tony its not a analog its a digital servo

Last edited:
I have been following the guidelines, I adjusted the push Rod and it started to spin like a top, but like Derek said, keep adjusting it, and thats what i been doing, its going to be raining alot here for the next few days so i wont be able to test anything for a while.

by the way Tony its not a analog its a digital servo

thats good then mate, just keep trying you will get there im sure, something was obviously loose on that video, get it fixed first so its rock steady... im sure you will have it flying again... just dont give up... ive crashed my blade 450 8 times now, i know this by the amount of broken main gears, broken blades etc. etc. i have.,...lol, but im STILL trying..

here's a nice collection for you.....lol
DSCF3566.jpg
so keep your spirits high....

DSCF3566.jpg

gaurdian

I tried that ds415 with no luck at all when I first got my bird but then again I have the gy370 gyro on mine... Had to laugh at blackwarrior's photo it looks like my broken parts stash as my learning curve has been improving my broken parts are not piling up as fast now thank god....

I tried that ds415 with no luck at all when I first got my bird but then again I have the gy370 gyro on mine... Had to laugh at blackwarrior's photo it looks like my broken parts stash as my learning curve has been improving my broken parts are not piling up as fast now thank god....

Hey Gaurdian, that's just the gears... Haha... Yeah I'm not a good pilot at all... YET..

I stuck all the blades in the garden sticking up, there was 14 of them, looked really good, well I thought they did, unfortunately the mrs didn't and chucked them... Wish I'd took a photo now....lol

concept30

Blackwarrior you might comment on this but I just seen that the whole length of the tail rod is one long peice of plastic, in other words i cant adjust it, but i can adjust the tail blades by moving the servo up and down the tail boom, let me know what yall thinkk about that. I dont know why we cant use the ds415 but it works alot better then the one i had on there, although the gyro is reverse and i cant fix it, maybe the DS415 is causeing that

Blackwarrior you might comment on this but I just seen that the whole length of the tail rod is one long peice of plastic, in other words i cant adjust it, but i can adjust the tail blades by moving the servo up and down the tail boom, let me know what yall thinkk about that. I dont know why we cant use the ds415 but it works alot better then the one i had on there, although the gyro is reverse and i cant fix it, maybe the DS415 is causeing that

Hi Dustin, that's correct mate, firstly you need to make sure the horn on the tail servo is at 90 degrees, turn TX on in rate mode... (BE SAFE, remove 2 wires from motor) then connect battery...then check you have zero pitch on the tail blades (the slider arm should be in the centre of it's shaft) if you haven't, then loosen the tail gyro enough so you can slide it along the tail boom until you get the tail pitch as close as possible to zero pitch.. Then tighten the 2 screws up on the servo mount... If your still slightly off no pitch, what I done was unclip the ball link at the tail end and turn it one revolution at a time until you achieve zero pitch...

Derek

Unfortunately, Tony, the tail push rod that he has cannot be adjusted. The only adjustment that he has would be to move the tail servo on the tail boom.

concept30

ok sounds easy enough, i hope yall will hang with me til i can get this figured out, i need to get the pitch 0 out, i got the tail servo mounted to the boom as tight as possible but it still slides

Derek

wrap a bit of Scotch tape around the boom where the servo mount will go. That will help take up the slop.

Unfortunately, Tony, the tail push rod that he has cannot be adjusted. The only adjustment that he has would be to move the tail servo on the tail boom.

i wonder if thats stock then Derek, or maybe mine has been modified.... i have a ball link at the tail end for fine adjustment....and looking at the Blade helis video his does too.....

- - - Updated - - -

I think i got the Gyro to lock, video coming soon!

yippeeeee.. bring it on....

- - - Updated - - -

ok sounds easy enough, i hope yall will hang with me til i can get this figured out, i need to get the pitch 0 out, i got the tail servo mounted to the boom as tight as possible but it still slides

we are not going anywhere mate, we ALL want to see you flying this bird, but take your time over it, be methodical, any doubts then SHOUT OUT

Tony

Staff member
If the gyro doesn't have a way to be reversed, then you will need to mount it in the opposite orientation. Meaning, if it's right side up, mount it up side down. Or, you can put the tail servo on the other side of the boom. Either way it will reverse it. If you mount the servo on the other side of the boom though, you will need to reverse the rudder in your Tx.

Derek

If the gyro doesn't have a way to be reversed, then you will need to mount it in the opposite orientation. Meaning, if it's right side up, mount it up side down. Or, you can put the tail servo on the other side of the boom. Either way it will reverse it. If you mount the servo on the other side of the boom though, you will need to reverse the rudder in your Tx.

I didn't even think about this. It's kinda like cheating...but not, lol

there's NOTHING this guy doesnt know man.... brilliant Mr T

Top Bottom