450 Tail Breaks loose

It's a great feeling when you do things yourself and make them work. I'm glad that you have it going. I would be going over to the LHS and making them replace those blades that flew off. They gave it to you like that, IMO it's their problem. If they are half worth a crap, they will honor their mistake with a new set of blades. It's the least they can do.

Now all you have to do is get some video up of the bird in the air!!! :rules: :chuckles:

Ok. Here it is. My first attempt at getting my new trex 450 pro 3gx. Short and nervous!! Lol

Oops. Gonna have to learn how to upload vids first. Back with it later. ;)

Tony

Staff member
You must upload them to youtube, then post the share link here on the forum. We, unfortunately, don't have the server space for video uploads.

ok. I think i figured it out. if so, here is my first attempt with my newly built and programmed Trex 450 Pro 3GX[video=youtube_share;pkowfyLKLoQ]http://youtu.be/pkowfyLKLoQ[/video]

Tony

Staff member
That looked really good. I think I saw a little elevator shake in there. Might want to lower the Ele gain just a bit, like 5 points in the computer software. Other than that, and the fact that it looked like it had some drift in the rudder (could be solved by gain), it looked solid.

I wasnt gonna fess up but my wife thought it might be a wake up call to those noobs like myself that might not be taking every precaution: The ACTUAL first attemp (about 45 minutes before this one) was out in the grass (which I didnt like because I was afraid it wasnt letting my heli turn freely before lift so moved to the asphalt) was a near catastrophic disaster. The heli (as described before) wasnt moving freely which was causing tipping so i stopped it and went to get it. I didnt hit my throttle hold. I bent over in front of the heli to unhook the battery when the bottom of my coat brushed the throttle on my tx. the heli jumped up hitting me in the shoulder just slightly cutting my chin and went for the moon before I hit the throttle bringing it back down. I broke one side of the landing spar off but that was it! Strong heli. I glued the spar back on and after calming down and getting my nerve back I moved to the asphault and you see the results. Im a very lucky guy no doubt. All flying in future will be over grass and ill never, EVER forget to hit my throttle hold after landing.

- - - Updated - - -

That looked really good. I think I saw a little elevator shake in there. Might want to lower the Ele gain just a bit, like 5 points in the computer software. Other than that, and the fact that it looked like it had some drift in the rudder (could be solved by gain), it looked solid.

Thanks Tony! Ill give that a try.

Tony

Staff member
If you are worried about flying off grass, you can try to look for a very thin spot, or you can take a piece of cardboard out there to take off of if it's not too windy. I don't even like to fly my 600 off the grass. Last time it tried to tip and ended up hitting the main and tail blades on the ground. Wish I had a solid surface to fly off of out here lol. Keep up the good work.

Well my new 4503gx is flying great. NOW my son brought me an HK450 with a huge bag of spares and goodies. I have it now to where it seems to want to fly except for (guess what) ... the tail breaks loose (again) this isnt a 3gx system so am not sure what to do. Ive tried reversing the gyro in settings )its a GY48V. Ive tried replacing it with a spare e-flite g210 to no avail. when spooling up the gyro is lit and seems to take no commands from stick but when I hit the gyro switch on my dx6i the light goes out and i can now control rudder with stick but it still spins at about 50% throttle or just before lift. Im leaving for a bit so will check back in a few hours.

I stole the receiver from the HK450 to put in new Razor450 (which flies! thanks to your video) so will have to figure ITS problems later! :)

I stole the receiver from the HK450 to put in new Razor450 (which flies! thanks to your video) so will have to figure ITS problems later! :)

And it flew again! (into a chain link fence) SOOoo.. i put the receiver from the now broke Razor into my true TREX 450 clone and am using a gy48v gyro. SAME PROBLEM. tail breaks loose to the right. So far I have added and reduced gain, reversed gyro on tx, used HH and RM nothing seems to make any dif. The only thing that seems weird is that the RED LIGHT on the gyro is lit upon initialization but as soon as i give throttle it starts blinking fast and then stops when i let off throttle.

Tony

Staff member
Post a video of the "tail breaking loose". I'm still unclear on this term. If it's doing it on a pitch pump, that is normal for a cheap gyro. If it's just spinning around and around very fast, then your gyro is reversed. But a video will help.

Post a video of the "tail breaking loose". I'm still unclear on this term. If it's doing it on a pitch pump, that is normal for a cheap gyro. If it's just spinning around and around very fast, then your gyro is reversed. But a video will help.

yep, it just breaks into a spin. How do I reverse the gyro? You dont mean in the REVERSE settings on dx6i do you?

Yep, Tony, that was it. It hovered and quit spinning once i turned gain to 100 and delay is at 0 but when i hover it it seems like all the commands are mushy or slow. Unlike my trex450 this clone doesnt react quick and tight . seems like i have to do WAY Too much correcting just to hover. Is their a possible simple solution or is this something wherre there could be 187 different possibilities to try? :) Thanks for last tip!

Tony

Staff member
With that gyro, which is a piezoelectric gyro, you MUST let it acclimate to the outside temp where you are flying.

In your above statement, did you mean you turned your TRAVEL to 100? You stated gain, adn the gain is in the Tx on the gear channel.

Wow it is very cold outside but didnt think it would have to acclimate. Will do. lol, no I SHOULD have said I turned the LIMIT on gyro to 100 (0-140) and havent touched gain. I have dx6i but i cant find a "gear" channel. (im sure, by now, you're wondering how I get ANYthing to hover) :shame:

Derek

The gear channel on the receiver should be the second port from the right. Just before the AUX1. Your gyro should be plugged into that port.

When you make adjustments to the gyro, via the DX6i, these changes are made through the gear channel.

(I think that makes sense,lol)

The gear channel on the receiver should be the second port from the right. Just before the AUX1. Your gyro should be plugged into that port.

When you make adjustments to the gyro, via the DX6i, these changes are made through the gear channel.

(I think that makes sense,lol)

Well...im sure it makes sense to everyone who understands what you are trying to say but im still befuddled. I understand where the gear channel is on the receiver and I understand that the gyro is plugged in next to it. What I still don't understand is where in the transmitter do I go to affect changes on that channel. I mean its not like the Tx has channel 1, channel 2, etc. So my problem is trying to find in the tx where to go to adjust the gain. Im sure once I understand im gonna have a DOH! moment. :)

Derek

Oh, ok....to make changes to your gyro on the DX6i, you simply go to your Gyro menu on the DX6i. If you need more gain, adjust to a higher number. If you need less gain, adjust to a lower number. When you do make changes, only make the changes in 5% increments at a time. That should help!

and don't worry about "not knowing". Each of us started out that way. It's all a part of the game.

Good luck!

Oh, ok the same settings on the tx that determine HH and Rate, eight? So if mine is wandering a bit at 65 (which it is now) I should UP it rather than lower it right? Thanks Derek.

Top Bottom