450 T-rex 470lm Is It A Good One..

liquid1

The Trex 470 comes with a BeastX 'Microbeast Pus' flybarless controller but you still need a receiver.
Yes sir the SRXL you posted it’s a receiver right. I need to go to local hobby shop and put my hands on a few receivers , The telemetry would be nice but not sure ide be good enough to monitor live , I ride my dirt bike hard to relieve stress messing with helicopters just adds stress but I love it. Just want the best and straight forward components I can buy that want break the bank. Now I’m thinking of putting telemetry on my traxxas M41 speed boat it is bad to the bone fun. I look at flying helicopters and planes as a fun challenge for the money . I’ve never had even a glitch with any of the spectrum receivers most of my stuff is bind n fly it’s simple and works for a good price. I’m ready to go deeper for a nice helicopter setup , so it’s a new adventure for me . I greatly appreciate the knowledge this forum has to offer and want to thank everyone.
smoggie, I decided against the older blades thanks to you for pointing out the parts issue . There’s a overwhelming experience factor on here which is awesome!!

Tony

Staff member
I think I'm about to order one of those adapters so that I can use a satellite only with the BX. I have a helicopter here that I'm working on that has an adapter like that and seems to work pretty well.

Smoggie

I'm not really a fan of the Microbeast either to be honest but some really like them and they seem to fly well enough. My favourite is the Spirit which can be programmed from PC or from your phone by Bluetooth or now directly from your Tx screen it's got rescue and stability options to and supports triple receiver redundancy.

The Brain2 is right up there on features too.

Admiral

I'm not really a fan of the Microbeast either to be honest but some really like them and they seem to fly well enough. My favourite is the Spirit which can be programmed from PC or from your phone by Bluetooth or now directly from your Tx screen it's got rescue and stability options to and supports triple receiver redundancy.

The Brain2 is right up there on features too.

The Microbeast is OK but more recently I have acquired three iKon FBL units and think they are fantastic, mine are the early version but the features provided are great compared to the AR7200BX units I have been using.
I believe they are re-badged Brain units.

Last edited:
Only other issue I have with the microbeast is that you can only run one sat from the unit unless you run separate receiver. I like the clean wiring of sats into the Fbl unit. So to run 2 sats on the 470 I would have to run one. Even copy £20 Fbl units let you plug 2 sats in...

Smoggie

The Spirit Pro or Brain/ikon have ports for 2 sats which work fine, but to be honest there is a better option these days. The Spektrum SPM4649T serial receiver is the way to go. That connects by single line to the FBL and gives you antenna diversity and built in telemetry. You can in addition connect up to 2 satellites to the FBL to give tripple receiver redundancy.

If you have an ESC that supports data out (Castle, Hobbywing etc) then you can take data back to the Spirit/Brain and the SMP4649T sends it back to the Tx via telemetry link. You get telemetry data like such as battery voltage, Rotor RPM, Battery mAh used, battery current, and receiver signal strength.

You can also program the FBL direct from your Tx screen

It's a a pretty big jump in technology.

Isn’t that a quad diversity receiver?
So if I fitted one to the microbeast with the single sat, I would effectively have 2 sats and telemetry?

Smoggie

Isn’t that a quad diversity receiver?
So if I fitted one to the microbeast with the single sat, I would effectively have 2 sats and telemetry?

Yes, It's marketed as a receiver for racing quads, but it works just as well for helis. Because it's got dual antenna diversity it's equivalent in most respects to two standard sats all on it's own. I'm not sure if the Microbeast supports using a serial receiver AND a sat receiver? The Spirit and the Brain2 do, but only following the most recent firmware update.

liquid1

If it will bind to the Spectrum TX and work all 6 channels , I’m all in for that price I didn’t find this smp4649 on the spectrum sight. Plus getting telemetry back to Tx would be a cool plus as long as there no black outs and range is good, will need to confirm it will work with this align kit, sounds like smoggie is up to date on technology. Fantastic!!

liquid1

Smoggie

Chris, i can easy take a photo but really there is nothing much to see. The receiver only has one output 'Y lead. The male plug on the Y lead connects into the appropriate SRXL input port on the FBL, the female plug is just for the bind plug. The connection into the FBL will be different on different FBL units, an adaptor cable might be needed. For the Spirit a special adaptor cable is available but I just made my own from an extension lead.

here's the diagram:
schermafbeelding-2016-11-07-om-20.58.06.png

The plug called 'power end' connects to the FBL, via the adaptor cable. The telemetry data port (Laps/Volts/RPM) doesnt need to be used if you use a Brain2 or Spirit FBL because the FBL feeds telemetry data back through the 'Power end' plug.

liquid1

Smoggie, Just trying to get my head around this receiver as to how it works TX talks to RX and tells rx a 4V to 8.4v. signal is used from RX to FBL which now control the servos, speed etc the servos no longer connect direct to the receiver like on a 6 channel rx 6110 or similiar, it’s now kinda like automotive can buss but can also send info back to Tx while communicating with rx, am I close.. sorry I’m not up to date on RC technology, a lot has chanced in 5 years since back when I was flying more..

Top Bottom