450 T-rex 470lm Is It A Good One..

liquid1

I scrapped the Idea of getting the older Blade 500 Helicopter or Blade 450, So I'm looking at other options around the $450 price range. Is this a good choice, i know its more heli than I'll need and not as big as I was looking at . But for Flying around the yard, Parks , Fields it might be a good choice. My wife wants to get me a Better heli than the King bee 3 for Valentines day, Ive always wanted a Align Helicopter, I would add a Spectrum rx to pair up with the DX9. This looks like a sweet looking high grade helicopter.

T-REX 470LM Dominator Super Combo RH47E01X

Smoggie

Yes the Trex 470 gets great review (I dont have one myself). You could also look at the 'LP' version which is the same heli but just with some plastic parts where the LM has metal.. They both fly exactly the same but the LP is a fair bit cheaper. The DX9 is a good Tx, cant go wrong there.

liquid1

Smoggie, Thanks which RX would you reccomend . I was also concerned if the all metal vibrates any more than the lp when setup correctly, The LM just looks bad to the bone . I just got the DX9 Black edition TX for Christmas so it’s new to me but really loving it so far, had the DX7 thinking of making it a land TX using air Rx with my boats and crawlers. I figure a good rx for align kit will be $75 or so the Lp might be a better budget option For sure. It’s been between this class Trex or the Blade 370x bind n fly. This will be my first heli build kit looks interesting , Will need to figure out a good docile base point for programming . I really enjoy tinkering and building stuff so a kit might be a blast plus I’ll be sure and get it right and use loftier like some others have said. thanks for any info..

Smoggie

The LM does have more 'bling' but the LP performs just as well. Hopefully the LP will come back in stock soon.

For the receiver there are choices
A satellite receiver, which would need a beastX satellite receiver adapter cable and a Lemon Rx diversity satellite.
An SRXL serial receiver such as the SPM4649T

The SRXL serial receiver is probably the best option as that gives you built in telemetry, both are well under your budget.

Best avoid a standard PWM output receiver as that gives you a lot of wiring to connect up whereas the above options need just a single cable between receiver and FBL which makes installation easier and neater.

liquid1

Wow things have advanced, is the Spm 4649t all I need it will program with DX9 and provide all the channels for the servos kit says need 7 channel receiver, good price , I need to research and read up on these setups thanks for info

Smoggie

Yeah, the SPM4649T will work fine with your DX9 and send telemetry data such as receiver voltage and signal strength back to the Tx. With some flybarless units such as the Brain2 or Spirit you can get full integration, so that you can do all your flybarless programming from your Tx screen.. But i dont think the Microbeast that comes with the Trex Super Combo supports integration, but even so it will still work fine just without some of the 'bells and whistles'.

Tony

Staff member
I would be a little worried about all of that plastic on that kit. Most of the time it's not going to be a problem, it's just that one time you missed a hairline crack or over tighten a ball and strip it out. I have always been an alloy person myself just due to the strength of the part.

The 470 is actually the same size as the Goblin 380 so if you can swing a few extra bucks, I would go that route. I have the 380 and I put the AlZRC servos on it as well as the motor and a hobbywing ESC and I think we are just north of where you are now. Of course you could go cheaper and not put an Ikon2 gyro on it and go with something like the TGZ380 gyro which is a BeastX clone the size of a 3GX. Supposed to be really good though. If you are interested in this route, I can pop up some links that will help out the site if you don't mind?

Smoggie

If you like the Goblin 380 but dont like the price there is always the ALZRC Devil 380.. Just as good quality even if it is a clone, great value in the 'Super Combo' version which comes with all you need except Tx, Rx and battery: Devil 380 Silver Super Combo Kit - Drones | RC Helicopters

Or a bit cheaper from Banggood in China: ALZRC Devil 380 FAST RC Helicopter Super Combo

But FWIW the feedback on the 470LP is very good, i've not heard anyone have problems with the plastic parts. I figure if Mikado can make a 700 size 3D heli out of plastic then it must be strong enough! (But personally i like a bit of alloy 'bling' just because it looks nice)

Admiral

The 470LM is the metal version the 470LP is the version with the plastic grips etc and comes in US$112 cheaper, both models swing 380mm blades.

liquid1

The only thing about machine heli is it’s less forgiving in a crash it bends and explodes, and cost more. Plastic will splinter and snap. That said dang I like this LM version but the LP is a sweeter deal . The LM is just sexy nuff said.
My biggest get concern is setting up the radio for a docile first couple months of flights. I have plenty of places close to fly so it will be a work horse for mild fun flying. I know it’s way more heli than I’ll ever need. The build will be fun no rush just want it done right. Hopefully align will be around for a while with hobbico, enterprize hobby has gobs if parts. I’m not planning on crashing so I want scrimp on a good receiver setup. But not really wanting to spend what I got in my mavic pro which I love and is more a tool than a hobby, I just don’t charge . I like the goblin alzrc and devil 380 looks great . A friend flys align and loves there products seems to be proven quality kits and well taught out directions. Tony I’ll be hitting you and others up for advice. I shoulda new better than to sign up on this forum I’m a Harley Davidson rock crawler guy now I’ve got the bug to build a better quality bird . I’ll blame my wife for getting me the sweet black edition DX 9..

liquid1

That sounds like a great combination, I have a 450LM and love it, I believe the 470LM is better again.
Admiral, Did you use blue loctite on assembly, which receiver did you go with I run spectrum . The RX smoggie mentioned seems to be sweet never knew the new technology was out there, a friend recommends the Beast x

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I like to keep it simple and it just works. On 2 of my birds I have the AR7200BX/AR7300BX is on my 500 :) simple and cheap.

Admiral

Admiral, Did you use blue loctite on assembly, which receiver did you go with I run spectrum . The RX smoggie mentioned seems to be sweet never knew the new technology was out there, a friend recommends the Beast x

I use Blue Loctite on all metal/metal unless I have Nyloc nuts.

Mine was a Combo Kit originally and came with a BeastX Plus, I bought it as a wreck and rebuilt it the previous owner had kept the BeastX for the 470L he had bought and I was lucky enough to pick up a new one from a kit where the guy fitted an iKon2 instead of the BeastX. I use a Spektrum DSMX satellite but the SPM4649T would work as well or better and give you Telementary as well.

Morning guys,
I have just added a Trex470 Lp to my fleet and it’s a great heli. Plastic parts are fine even when I’m giving it some stick. The super combo only cost £349 GBP.
Video to follow soon as only did maiden and test flight this weekend gone.

Smog give,
Jury still out with me for the microbeast, too much messing. I prefer to hook my vortex up to the laptop then I don’t need to mess again. Microbeast has trimming options for everything it seems... drifting, porpoising in fast flight etc. Again it all comes to personal preference and hey... it’s included in a super combo so no extra cost

Top Bottom