500 Swash Acting WIERDDD, Some Advice Plzzz

assad11

Hey guys, im newly registered, but ive been reading here for a few weeks, GREAT info and some great people on here too, and im glad to now be a part of this community!

I have recently decided to enter the world of rc heli by buying a hk500 from hobbyking and putting it together myself! GREAT fun, its all together apart from the battery mounted onto it, the specs are:
HK YEP 100A esc
Turnigy heli drivt t500 1600kv
revolution carbon blades
2650 6s turnigy nano tech battery
sanwa srm-102 for tail sero (came with rc car tx so dremeld a bigger hole to mount it)
gs-d9275 servos for the swash (not the best but prob will be crashing here n there n will bring repair costs down)
align 3gx gyro
turnigy 9x
n a few bits n pieces that dnt matter..

No the problem im having is quite wierd! i ABSOLUTELY CANNOT find anything like this on any forum to help me out, so i thought id just come direct, i was gonna sign up sooner or later anyway lol :)

my swash plate is lined up, all servos 90deg or closest i can get,
when i push the throttle up & down, 2 go up 1 goes down, and the movement is great until i reverse the ail, and the swash plate moves inline like it should but at top & bottom the ail servo is tottaly out of line, they move in conjuction with each other but dont line up at full throttle.. when i go into the swash mix and adjust the ail nothing changes! but the elev and pitch when changed do exactly what they should! I should not have to reverse the ail, i should just go into swashmix make the number say -60 instead of +60 and it should be sweet! isnt that right? when the throttle is max, if i push it to the left half way the swash levels out, i am totally lost here, i have been researching the last 5 days on how to set this up and i thought i had sufficient info to do so!

This is reallly plaing on my brain, i have been taking my time caus i want everything to be great and setup properly, rather then rushing and stuffing things up..

If you guys can help me out, i would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks in Advance!!

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. I'm hoping this bird is flybarless. If it's not, then your gyro is going to fight with the flybar and the gyro is going to win causing a crash.

The swash mix menu is ONLY to reverse TOTAL aileron movement. When you give right aileron, the left servo goes up, the right servo goes down, or should. If it's vice versa, then that is when you would reverse the swash mix. Same for elevator. Pitch is your collective, moving the swash up and down. If you raise the throttle stick and the swash goes down, then you would go to -60 in the swash menu. Hope this is clear.

You say that when you move the throttle stick, all servos but one go in the same direction. The one that is not going in the same direction, reverse it in the servo reverse menu, EVEN IF IT MAKES THINGS WORK IN REVERSE. What you are wanting to do is make them work together in their mixing. You can reverse things in the swash menu later.

If you can post a video of the heli showing moving the sticks and what the swash is doing, we can tell you EXACTLY what you need to adjust or reverse.

Again, welcome to the forum!

:welcome1:

assad11

hey man! thanks for quick reply!
Yea its flybarless lol!
i dnt think i explaind propelry!

the swash plate all 3 servos go in same direction with the throttle stick, which is correct, bit when at full throttle the swash isnt fully aligned :( the ail servo is out of whack!

ive been playing with these settings for hours and hours on end but no luck :(

its just the ail servo that isnt where it should be, i understand the swash mix now, it wont reverse the throttle direction, only the ail stick direction, i think, well mine wont anyway, i dont think i have a video cam here, ive never been into taking videos or photos lol :(

Tony

Staff member
I wasn't into making videos either. Yeah, now look at me hahaha.

Okay, so what you are saying is your endpoint of the aileron servo (front right servo) is not equal with the pitch servo and elevator servo? Okay, I know nothing about the 9x, but you need to go into your servo end point adjustment menu and make sure they are ALL at 100%. You may have to move the stick to change the little arrow. Not sure if it has one, but the DX6i has one. My guess is you might have one of the settings out of wack. Let me know.

assad11

GREAT! thanks man, ill check it out, i havnt messed with that, if it doesnt work or i cant get it working, ill ask around for a video camera, or at least a phone with one so i can get a vid happening, thanks man, ill be bak asap

assad11

haha! its all level now! but it is not EXACTLY COMPLETELY smooth, its a bit jerkey here n there, so id imagine mid flight it mightnt be too smooth, but better then it was WAY WAY better!

maybe the smoothness is the poor qualit servos, 10 bucks each, i know theres gonna be crashes n didnt wanna spen 50 bucks each to have them destroyd in the first few lights lol, the e points are not all at 100, they are all over the place now, but they have to be to make the swash level at full and least throttle!

Thanks ALOT man u are great! do you have any other tips on the smoothness? or any tips on anything lol thnx a bunch man i GREATLY appreciate it!

Lee

G'day mate. I see Tony has you sorted on the cyclic stuff. I'm just wondering about your tail servo. You say it was from a car. Do you know the specs on it. Tail servos need to be fast, and i'n not sure a car servo will have the speed, i may be wrong.

Lee

Actually just found it on line, and i was right. This servo is only 0.2sec, which is very slow for a tail servo and probably won't hold the tail steady. You need a servo with something like 0.08 or faster. I would get an Align DS525. It maybe more expensive but it works very well. The tail servo isn't as prone to damage as the cyclic servos in a crash, if you are worried about that.

assad11

yeah i was a little suss on it, i had a faster turnigy metal gear one, but it failed straight away wtf!! lol after a few flights ill get new servos all round, all metal gear and all very fast, just dont wanna fork out 150 bucks when im not even in the sky yet lol, thanks for your concern and advise, i really appreciate it, after i get everthing working properly and have some flight under my belt ill be getting alot more serious about things. Im going to get a goblin 700 when ive got some experience and can pull some moves off lol i fell in love with that thing the moment i saw it lol

Tony

Staff member
As lee stated, .2 on the speed is not going to work on the tail. That thing is going to be all over the place and VERY unstable. The DS525 is only about $40 or so and is WELL worth the money. The other thing you have to look at on a tail servo is what the pulse width (band) is on it. The 3GX is setup for only two different bands, 760 and 1520. If your servo doesn't meet these, or you have the wrong setting, you can and will burn up the tail servo. I suspect that may be what toasted your last one.

And on your cyclic, you should not have to change anything from 100%. If they are not moving the same, then something is wrong with the servos. Hope you get it sorted. It's hard to do it over the net like this lol.

Lee

I understand about not wanting to fork out the moola on expensive servos just yet, but that servo on the tail will not work with such a slow speed. Your heli will be very unstable and impossible to set up the tail to hold. 100% with you on the Goblin.

assad11

now when i move the elev stick the other two go outa wack! wtff, cars or SOOOO much easier then this lol i might just buy a whole bunch of new servos and start fresh, idk whats goin on, its really doing my head in n feel like chuckn it in the garage and never coming back to it..

Westy

LEGEND
Hey there and welcome !
Yep ... I agree with All the above .... spend some coin on an align servo .... I smacked up my Goblin 630 yesterday and all the servo arms broke off (WHICH IS FANTASTIC) I have all servos in tact!

Anyway .... yes ... make sure you have no trims ... and your travel limits set at 100% on all channels .... and also make sure you have all your swash to servo linkages ... coming out of the same holes ... IE if you have 2 of them on the 3rd hole and the last on the 4th ... this will cause the last servo to move at a different rate than the others ... and this will cause you issues.

I know you would not have done that ... but that is the only thing that I can think of that will cause your issue if all the above has been done correctly and the swash is perfectly level (with a levelling tool or the zip tie method)

Westy

LEGEND
for a 500? .... go Align 525 servos ..... or you may be able to find some good Second hand 520M servos or you can go MKS or SAVOX or FUTABA ... all are good names .....

I have seen a few guys get the HK Turnigy ones ... but I do not know how they got on.

Tony

Staff member
Without a doubt, get the DS515 for cyclic and DS525 for the tail. If you are worried about stripping gears, then get a few sets of replacement gears just in case.

Tony

Staff member
Lee might have had luck with those MG930's, but I sure didn't. They just felt sluggish to me. But, with a big enough BEC, they should work fine. Hopefully lol.

Westy

LEGEND
for a 500? .... go Align 525 servos ..... or you may be able to find some good Second hand 520M servos or you can go MKS or SAVOX or FUTABA ... all are good names .....

I have seen a few guys get the HK Turnigy ones ... but I do not know how they got on.

- - - Updated - - -

I had one of those MG 930's.... .and it cooked in 10 minutes flat!

Top Bottom