450 swah plate leveling

pj1969

Hi guys, whats the best way to level swash on my 450 with out a tool???? i've changed all 3 servo's and tail servo and want to set it all up. Tony's video's are really good, but just wondered if any of you lot had any tips????:encouragement:

Westy

LEGEND
cable tie works well ... you can put it in with the head on .... and then cut it off when done :)

pj1969

Brilliant, forgive me if i sound thick, i've only just started all this heli business, so i put the cable tie on main shaft, then spin head round and if tie doesn't hit ball link, adjust on my dx6i or manually on heli???

Derek

Yep...I just got done doing this on my 500.

take the head off the heli, leaving the swash plate...obviously.

take a zip tie (cable tie) and zip it to the main shaft. Cut off the tail of the zip tie so that it is long enough to reach the tips of the swash plate. Turn the gear so that the main shaft spins. Be sure that the zip tie will clear the anti rotation bracket. Then, super glue or hot glue the cut off part of the zip tie perpendicular to the zip tie that is on the main shaft and be sure that the glued on zip tie is above the actual swash plate...not the ball link. You can then turn the main gear (not the zip tie) to check the gaps between the tips of the swash plate and the end of the zip tie.

Tony just showed me this tip about 3 hours ago and it worked very well. I hope all this makes sense.

Westy

LEGEND
Yep .... take your blades off to make it easier to rotate....

1. Disconnect 2 battery to motor wires

2. get your throttle/collective at mid stick in idle up (with your liniar pitch curve)

3. get your servos all at 90º first

4. manually adjust the linkages till the swash touches the cable tie .... check all 3 first and adjust the 1 that is out..... if one is too high ... shorten the link .... if once is too low ... lengthten it

Last edited:

pj1969

right i'm going in haha, i dont think i'm a million miles off, i'll put the kettle on and have a go at it, good old you tube is brilliant. Thanks so much mate, i guess once i do it once and it works, it will become easy

Tony

Staff member
I do have a video, but don't have it uploaded. I will see if I can upload it real quick to help you out.

pj1969

that would be great, do i have to make sure servo's are central first? with arms off?? i guesss i'm going to start right from scractch. if i turn my radio on, it will centralize the servo's wont it? i have'nt got a centralizer. i messured all links when i fitted it all together and are all spec lengths

- - - Updated - - -

soory,one more, do i put my setting in sub trim back to 0 to start over??

Tony

Staff member
I would start at 0 in the sub trim. Then set the servo arms to 90º to the links. That will get you ready for the video that is rendering right now. Once it's done, I will upload it.

pj1969

Video is uploaded, here you go.

Level Your Swash With A Zip Tie

thanks mate, i'll try it this way. it's only 2 seconds to take head off. with the links at 90 and links all set to spec lengths, i guess they wont be miles off?? Is it just a questions og popping the links off and twisting to adjust height??? Appreciate all the tips, brilliant help to everyone reading!!! :encouragement::encouragement::encouragement::encouragement:

Tony

Staff member
Yes, you will just pop the links off of the swash and adjust them. You should never have to add any trim or subtrim when leveling the swash after you 90 the servo arms.

orbi

Yep .... take your blades off to make it easier to rotate....

1. Disconnect 2 battery to motor wires

2. get your throttle/collective at mid stick in idle up (with your liniar pitch curve)

3. get your servos all at 90º first

4. manually adjust the linkages till the swash touches the cable tie .... check all 3 first and adjust the 1 that is out..... if one is too high ... shorten the link .... if once is too low ... lengthten it

Can you tell me about the servo 90 thing, Ive heard Tony say that there should be 90 deg between the arm and the link rod, I also have heard that all arms should be 90 and level regardless. I have a PRO 450 and the servo s, ail 1 and 2 have rods attached to the swash that are on an angle from the arm/horn ball to the swash ball. It almost seems that the swash is too big for the heli, but Ive checked the manual and its the right one for sure. My swash is pure level at mid stick you couldnt get a hair through any of the contacts. I have dead 90 between arm and link rod but the arm is sitting slightly higher than level. AM I RIGHT ! or do I need to change, i havent flown yet only setting up stage.

Lee

You need to have the servo arms at 90º to the servo body. Do this by removing the arm, setting the throttle stick to middle with a linear curve 0 to 100 and subtrims zeroed. Then put the arms back on as close to 90º as possible. You may need to swap the arms around to find the ones that get closest to 90º. Then use your sub trims to get them perfectly 90º. Once this is done, then you can go on to level the swash using the links.
Hope this helps.
Lee

murankar

Staff member
First make sure you got the right hole on the servo arm. The adjust up and down. Once done the links should be 90° to the arms.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
My 700 the arms are 90 to the servos. If I 90 them to the arms everything gets bound up so I think the should be 90 to the servos. My pitch and aileron servos are mounted at am angle.

orbi

yeah... if I 90 the servo and arms I get an angle to the swash with the linkage rod I can move the rod closer along the arm to make 90 but this puts it beyond the manual spec of 12.5mm so my rod now looks strange it seems twisted somehow. I had it the other way, arm at angle to give me 90 between arm and linkage rod. Thanks guys

Lee

Take a picture. It will take seconds to diagnose any issue by the guys here.

Top Bottom