250 Super bad's oxy3

Smoggie

3 blade heads are a little less efficient so you generally lose flight time with a three blade head. The extra call probably offsets that so you end up with the same flight time as the two blade on 3s.

You should be able to reduce headspeed a bit compared to the two blade head which might offset some of the 3 blade inefficiency.

heli-maniac

Once I get it tuned in and tamed down it may pick up some the way it is right now its a animal
Just uploaded a video from a flight at the field

murankar

Staff member
Dude lower head speed or bigger packs. The cell count only helps in efficiency. Glade you got out to fly though.

Smoggie

Actually more cells (and same mAh per cell) ‘should’ give longer duration. At least if all else remains the same.

Assuming that the heli uses the same power to fly as an identical heli on 3s, then according to Ohm’s law increasing voltage means current (Amps) will reduce (Amps = watts/volts). Reducing the amps consumed means that your battery mAh capacity will be used more slowly, meaning longer flights... at least in theory.

What’s happening here it seems is that the 3 blade head and also added weight of the bigger battery and extra blade results in more power needed to fly compared to the 2 blade, 3s heli. So the benefit of the extra call is lost as far as duration is concerned. But maybe there is an advantage of more performance?

PS.. I’m assuming that in going to 4s a lower Kv motor was used?

murankar

Staff member
If nothing changes but the battery voltage the head speed is going to go up. High voltage = higher head speed. So yes dropping the head speed will net more flight time. My suggestion is to drop a tooth or 2 in the pinion and see what happens.

Smoggie

Murankar,

I think we are thinking along similar lines.. If the Kv is the same and 'if' the pinion isn't already smaller then the headspeed might have increased a lot which would certainly hit flight times... and also explain why the heli feels much more responsive!

Super bad.. are you running a Governor?

heli-maniac

The 3s Oxy runs a 14t pinion the 4s runs a 11t pinion I have dropped down to a 10t pinion thats the smallest they make
on the Gov I have the Head speed on the 3s at 3950 in IU2 On the 4s I have it at 3800 Iu2
Battery packs are both Pulse 1350 35c

Smoggie

Sounds like you are good on the setup. Out of curiosity, is the rotor diameter of the three blade the same as the two or are the blades shorter?

heli-maniac

There is One Guy on HF saying with his 4s 1500 mAh Lipos getting 9 minutes of flight He must be counting running around with it in his hand
I just dont see that and he says he has a 450 class HK Typhoon motor in it that is larger than the EOX motor

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
There is One Guy on HF saying with his 4s 1500 mAh Lipos getting 9 minutes of flight He must be counting running around with it in his hand
I just dont see that and he says he has a 450 class HK Typhoon motor in it that is larger than the EOX motor

It's his lye and he can tell it anyway he wants. :lol:

heli-maniac

I tried my Spin 2222 4400kv motor in the 2 blade Oxy it had the same flight time just added weight and didnt play well with the Talon 35
So took it back out and Have a new motor on the way to go back in it

Also ordered some plastic 275mm Lynx Main blades to go on the 3 blade Oxy
So I can lower the head speed even more

Last edited:

heli-maniac

Update on my Oxy3s
Sold the Oxy Qube do to having to move on a short notice
I Held on to the 4s packs form it to fly in my Stock Oxy3 so went from 3s to 4s dropped the pinion down from 14 to 11 teeth . I have a 10 tooth on order to get the flight times up close to the 4 minuet mark . I went back and reset the Talon 35 to make sure the end points were right . Found they were off so that may help also
Tonight I loaded the new firm wear into the Micro IKON got 1 test flight before dark
This is were the Oxy 3 is for now

Top Bottom