stranded in arkansas

murankar

Staff member
Update,
We got a room for another night so we can stay out of the heat. Mechanic say the motor is shot based on the loud nock. They also tried to do a trade for a Cadillac Seville. The owner was not going for it with out the title.

All rental places in this area do not have mini vans so that's out. Right now a guy at a u-haul place is going to see if he can get us a truck or van. Our last option is maybe to get the wife and kids on a bus then I bring our stuff and dog back in a rental car. I will keep you all updated as things develop.

I would like to take a moment to say thank you for the support from the members here. I am almost crying as I type this.

We are praying and working things out slowly.

murankar

Staff member
Update,
Well we might be able to buy a mini van. We have to wait a bit before we know for sure. Yeah we will have another bill but come November we should be able to work it. Until then it will be super tight.

During all of this one thing lingers in the back of my head and that is no flying. When the time is right I will be back up in the air. I am not selling my equipment just yet. I have hope.

Right now its food time and praying for the van to work out. Once that is done we should be on the road. I love you guys. RCH is my extended family now. I hope to pay this forward some day.

Tony

Staff member
No need to pay it forward bro, just get the family home safe. Here's hoping the van works out. If it does, we are going to have to get some dubs for it hehe.

murankar

Staff member
We now have an 05 grand caravan. Almost the exact same milage as the Mazda. Ac works little rust not like an Ohio car.

Tony

Staff member
Those are good vehicles as long as you keep the maintenance up on them. I'm glad you are back on the road. Yes, the new payment sucks, but hey, at least you can make it home now. Keep us posted bro.

Lee

Dude, hope all is well. I've been out of it for a while, didn't see what you were up to.

murankar

Staff member
We just started the journey home. Had to stop and get gas. We at the first place we got to after the issue started. We drove over 13 miles with a bad clacking noise. We got lucky that we made to the hotel. Any how we are on the road once again.

Karubah

Is a caravan a vehicle model name over in the states? What we call a caravan is a house on wheels towed behind a car or 4wd. Best of luck on your journey and hope all goes smoothly from here on.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, it's called a Dodge Grand Caravan. I suspect the name comes from being as large as a "Caravan" on the inside. They are very good for families.

2008_dodge_grand-caravan_passenger-minivan_sxt_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

2008_dodge_grand-caravan_passenger-minivan_sxt_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

Whirlybird

What we call a caravan is a house on wheels towed behind a car or 4wd. Best of luck on your journey and hope all goes smoothly from here on.

We call that a "Trailer Home" here :) But when you think about it . . . Caravan does kind of make sense too :) :)

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I always called those an RV (Recreational Vehicle) then the ones that are self powered are Motor Homes. Gotta love the language barrier lmao.

murankar

Staff member
Wow I love this thread and how we have a language barrier. It neat to discover different cultures.

Anyhow I made it home at around 0230. About 50 miles into the trip home the check engine light came on. Not sure what to think I checked the oil. Can't be to cautious at this point. It was a half a quart low so I toped it off. When I was under the hood I noticed how new the motor looked. Upon further looking today their are a few blemishes but nothing major.

About the oil in this thing. Already I can tell that the oil system needs cleaned. When I checked the oil it was dark almost black. I was told the the oil was changed so that tells me that they never cleansed the system. I will also need to check the transmission fluid to see how bad that is. I am thinking i pay someone to so this.

Tune up on this will need to be checked also. Not sure when that was done last also. I have to really taken care of this car since its all I can afford at this time. I also noticed last night that the power steering is wining. Not sure on what to do to make it quiet again. For the belt(s) they chirp a bit and I have some concern but not a major issue yet. The wife noticed that the tires a starting to show signs of dry rot.

So what was included in the deal. They, the creditor, added a bumper to bumper warranty. Covers everything that is not standard maintenance. This warranty is transferable and is good in all 50 states. We got gap insurance with it also and is valid in all 50 states.

So today will be getting the oil and transmission flushed and cleaned. I will be looking at the trouble light and that's about it. Wish me luck on this thing. We will not be planning any long road trips with this vehicle right now until we are confident that it will go the distance.

Derek

I'm glad to hear that you made it home, Matthias! I do hope everything goes well for you and your family. Good luck, my friend!

murankar

Staff member
Thank you everyone.

Got the van back, all I did was tires and oil change. Found out that I have a broken lug and my front break pads are worn plus rotors need replaced. So I went and got the that stuff and did the change out. In the process I broke a second lug on the same wheel. Discover that the lug that was still in the bolt is askew so it cross threaded and sheared the lug. So now I need 2 lugs along with an oil pan seal and a transmission pan seal. I should have those tomorrow or maybe wait till the next oil change.

Right now I have new oil, tires and break pads with rotors. Now for the lugs.

Tony

Staff member
Gotta love the world of used cars. But at least it runs lol. Glad to hear that you made it home though.

Graham Lawrie

Just picked up this thread. Sounds like my luck. Glad everything has worked out.We call that type of vehicle a people carrier. Power steering whine can be low fluid or power steering pump, possible bearing fault. Hope all gets better.

Top Bottom