General Start up 1st time 450se NOT GOOD

KICK ONLY

Tried running the motor today for the first time. (Exceed Alpha 400-with a Exceed 30A ESC). Not what I expected. Motor was very jerky barley moved main gear 1/2 to 3/4 turn them stopped . I then cut power .Chedked the mesh seemed ok.Tried several more times same results.OR It won't do anything. One other issue is the ESC was getting hot.Wires to motor.Thought that was strange since I only have 30 or so sec. On this start up.Will appreciate any an all replys. Duncan

Tony

Staff member
Take the motor out and take the can off of the stator. I will bet you will find a loose magnet or something.

Tony

Staff member
You should feel the magnets "popping" around the stator. But, it shouldn't feel gritty like there is dirt in the bearings or anything. Make sure the magnets are not hitting the stators. There should be no scuff marks on the magnets, and if there are, then you have something that is not running true. Be it the magnet is not glued in properly, or a bearing that is not running true.

Do you have another motor that you can check on that ESC? If you do, test it out. If it's bigger than the ESC can handle, just run it up to 1/2 throttle for a second to make sure it's working. If it still doesn't work, then you may have a bad ESC.

Lee

If the thing Tony suggested don't seem to be the issue, you can also check the solder joints on the connectors. If you have a cold joint it could cause these issues.

KICK ONLY

I checked the bearing on the shaft an it's a little sloppy or the shaft is tweaked some . So I need another moter. Can you suggest one? Or stay with the Alpha 400.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks will chedk it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Tony 3 of the 6 magnets have scuff marks so it's not running true. Mabe the bearing or the shaft is a little off. Anyway thanks for your input. can you suggest a motor I can buy?

Tony

Staff member
The alpha 400 is a decent motor for sport flying, but I did find out that it needs a 40a ESC. In all honesty, get the good stuff and put in there since you are having to replace it. Get the Align 450MX and the Align 35a ESC. You will notice a HUGE difference in not only power, but spool up as well.

Derek

you could probably check out amainhobbies.com for your parts. they are in California. Even when they ship parts to me, in Indiana, the shipping is always less than a week.

KICK ONLY

Great will do. I ebay alot so it's good to know another source. Thanks, Duncan

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know. I'm always looking for a new source. I Ebay a lot.

murankar

Staff member
I ordered from amainhobbies while in south Korea. Shipping for me was about 7 to 10 days. My mail went a non traditional route. Check them out.

Tony

Staff member
I will ALWAYS choose A Main Hobbies over eGay any day. You know what you are getting from A Main, you never know if it's some rip off artist on eGay.

KICK ONLY

My feedback is is 664 I've bought alot .an only been disappointed a couple of times.(MY FAULT) Now Into this new Hobby Dealing with a whole new type of sellers makes me nervous. I can't go up the street to a rc store. nearest one is about 200 miles away. which makes it hard for info an buying parts. I'm wondering what I've got myself into.

Westy

LEGEND
The alpha 400 is a decent motor for sport flying, but I did find out that it needs a 40a ESC. In all honesty, get the good stuff and put in there since you are having to replace it. Get the Align 450MX and the Align 35a ESC. You will notice a HUGE difference in not only power, but spool up as well.

And reliability!

Or the Scorpion HKII_2221_10_Brushless_Outrunner

These puppies will run continuous 42amps all day long!
17385.jpg

SPECS: <== Click There...

17385.jpg

Last edited:

xokia

I like ultimatehobbies.com they don't easily come up in google searches because they don't list prices without adding to cart first. But they are usually cheaper than anyone else. I don't know how they do on parts price wise though.

Tony

Staff member
Don't get me wrong, there are good sellers on eBay. Before I go to buy something, I always look on there to see if I can get it cheaper. In fact, I just purchased the RCH Align Starter on eBay, but it was from the Horizon store on there.

I have been ripped off a couple times, but Paypal and eBay have taken care of me. But, I still have a rating under 100 lmao. I don't do much on there.

Slobberdog

I am finding eBay in the UK is getting expensive, I mean 90% of the time I can get things cheaper in online model shops. Oh and you can guarantee you get what your paying for, not a rebagged piece of rubbish, as most people are selling stuff saying due to the nature of the hobby no returns accepted, gets me wondering if it works properly in the first place, like you say Tony you just can't seem to whittle the good from the bad

Lee

I think Giant Shark is the best bang for your buck in the UK. They have the Gens Ace batteries there. I plan on buying a few when i start working again.

Slobberdog

They are pretty cheap Lee, but i got two Century Batteries from my local shop the other day and they only worked out to be about a couple of pound per battery more expensive, plus i have somewhere to take them back to if something happens. lol over use!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GS do alot of the HK parts, thats where i had my new tail assy from the other day, looks realy nice qualty as well, complete assy only £8 ish.

Top Bottom