ESC Spirit Pro Hobbywing Esc Setup

Harford

I have told my wife about this rather significant oversight and that the answer is more regular building experience...

Weather permitting, hopefully Sunday. Will of course report back on how it goes. It will be first experience with a 700 size heli which is a little intimidating.

My next project after this is to finally get to grips with the Spirit stabilisation/rescue capabilities - something I never completed after the excellent guidance from you and Heliman last year

Smoggie

Yes, more new heli building required!

Setting up stability/rescue is much easier with the latest firmware. You now have the ability to assign a dedicated channel to turn 'stabi' function on and off (this needs a spare channel so a 7 channel or better Tx). This is a lot easier than the old way where you had to make the gyro gain go to a negative value.

Tony

Staff member
If that works with your wife, please have your wife call my wife and explain just how important building new helicopters is!!!

Oh, and we need video of the maiden... Forum Rules :rules: :jk: :chuckles:

Tony

Staff member
You mean Rate mode? I keep a switch position set to Rate so that when I set the helicopter on the ground, I can flip to Rate then back to HH mode and it will center my tail blades and keep the heli from swinging around on spool up.

Harford

Tony - I have to concede my wife is very accommodating when it comes to my various resource draining hobbies.

Funny you should say that about the video. The onlt time I have managed this is to have someone else filming while I am flying but I am sure I read about a head mounted camera set up. Do you have any suggestions ? (I don't have a GoPro)

Tony

Staff member
If you have a tripod mount on the bottom of a camera, and a 1/4" 20 bolt and nut and an old hat, you can make a makeshift hat mount. Just drill a hole, put the bolt in there and screw on the camera. However, I'm sure if it is a big camera weight would be an issue.

Harford

No, I don't mean HH versus Rate. I am familiar with this and have a switch to move between the two. The negative gyro gain value relates to the Stabilisation/Rescue set up in the Spirit FBL System

Harford

Don't worry, I have got a couple in my hands and don't know either !
Anyway, it is another project..

Harford

Trex 700 setup complete so maiden programmed for Friday morning (weather permitting).

I do have an issue though in that I cannot see the telemetry data displayed on the DX9 screen.

The Spirit notes say that you need to select the option 'ESC Status' (using the roller while on the main screen). I do not have this option.

I have connected the SPM4649T using the Jeti integration cable as instructed.

I have configured in the Tx under the Telemetry option 1. ESC 2. Text Gen

I have connected the HW ESC PlatV4 using the Telem UNI cable from the P socket to the Spirit primary satellite port and in the Advanced/Telementry settings in the Spirit software I have set the Hobbywing Platinum V4 option.

I have obviously missed something so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Harford

I did. But I bound the SPM4649T and the Spektrum satellite separately as I had issues initially getting the satellite to bind ie I had to bind the satellite using the primary port on the FBL and then move it to the port as the primary port is required for telemetry connection.
Hope this makes sense
Many thanks

Harford

I will go through the manual again but I do have the correct settings in the DX9 Telemetry menu.
Unsure about the Spektrum airfare though ? I have updated the firmware on the DX9 to version 1.21. Is this the same thing ?

Harford

The other thing I am unsure about is the reference to flashing boot loader. I am using Spirit firmware version 2.4.3

Smoggie

Airware is just Spektrum’s name for firmware.
Boot loader flashing is only required for older Spirits if the SPM4649t gets stuck in bind mode

Top Bottom