ESC Spirit Pro Hobbywing Esc Setup

Harford

Following from a previous post about setting up the electronics on my Trex 700E FBL, I have followed Smoggies advice and have the following :
- Spirit Pro
- Hobbywing Platinum HV 130A V4 ESC
- SPM4649T Serial Telemetry Receiver
- JETI integration cable
- Telem UNI cable
- SPM9645 satellite Rx

Are you able to help me please with how I connect this system up correctly.

This is what I understand so far.

SPM4649T is connected from the Serial/Bind port using the Jeti integration cable to the Spirit with the orange wire/plug into the Ele/Pit/Ail port on the Spirit, and the Red/Brown wires/plug into the Rud port on the Spirit.

Hobbywing ESC throttle signal cable connected to Aux 2 on the Spirit (standard powering set up)

Assuming the above is correct, this is where I need help. I am unsure about connections for both the Laps/Volts/RPM port on the SPM4649T and the BEC output cable plus RPM Signal cable on the Hobbywing ESC. I have the CH0 and Aux 2 ports on the Spirit unallocated to this point.

Your help with this would be much appreciated

Michael

Harford

Further to my post above, I understand also that the The telem UNI cable is plugged into the programming port on the HW ESC and the primary satellite port on the Spirit. I understand also that the BEC output cable from the ESC can be plugged into either Ch0 or Aux 2 (the only remaining unoccupied ports on the Spirit). If all of this is correct, I am left with :
1) Where does the RPM signal cable from the ESC go (I read it goes into the RMP channel on the FBL unit but don't know what this is)
2) Is the SPM4649T Laps/volts/PRM Port used ?

Some advice would be appreciated.

Smoggie

You have it pretty much nailed. On the last two points:

1. Unless you are using the Spirit Governor just leave the RPM signal cable disconnected and use the Hobbywing governor which is excellent and easy (that's what i do)
  2. The SPM4649T telemetry input port is not used because telemetry data is sent down the signal line betweeen the Spirit and the SPM4649T

Harford

Thank you for this. Needless to say I am in my infancy with Telemetry capability (along with a number of other things). However, some progress today with ESC/Rx placement + binding both Rx. Next step Spirit setup plus HW ESC throttle calibration. I may have an issue with clearance for the ESC fan as the unit is mounted forward and with fan attached touches the canopy. In any event work in progress.

Harford

I would be most grateful for some help with the following please.
It looks as if I have two tasks in setting up the HW ESC. Throttle calibration I can follow, the other is flight mode with a choice between :
1) Helicopter Linear throttle
2) Helicopter Elf Governor (default).
I have no experience with the governor function and am just a placid upright (no 3D) flier. I tend to use flat throttle curves to maintain headspeed which works fine for me. Do I ignore the Governor option and select No. 1 (and would this then be the same as my setups on other helis ?).

I know this is an inane question, but how do I connect the fan on the HW Esc please

Many thanks

Tony

Staff member
I try not to use a governor from the ESC. In my experience it has always been hit or miss in most cases. What I do instead, if the ESC has the single RPM wire coming out, I will run that to my gyro and use then governor in the gyro. But that is just me. lol.

Smoggie

The Hobbywing governor is excellent. Governor store is the best mode to use, this is how I fly all my Hobbywing equipped helis.

I’ve no doubt that the Spirit gov would work good too but it’s more involved to set up, the HW one is as simple as it gets

The fan plugs into the socket in the side of the ESC. You need a y-lead if you have a data output already plugged in.

Harford

Thank you for this. Could you possibly tell me what set up procedure I need to take when using Governor store. I can see reference to RPM standardization in the manual but it is not quite explicit enough for me.

Thank you also re the fan. I am using that socket (programming port) to connect to the Spirit with the Telem UNI cable so I will get hold of a Y harness,

Smoggie

RPM standardisation is easy. The textbook procedure is to set a ‘flat’ 50% throttle curve. You just spool the heli up using the 50% curve and with zero pitch, allow the RPM to stabilise. That’s all there is to it.
Now re set the throttle curve to what you want for flight.

Harford

Thank you for this.

Before undertaking this procedure, I am guessing I don't need to do anything in the Spirit ? I raise this only because of the comments I read about ensuring the throttle endpoints are set at 0 - 100% .

If I understand everything correctly, this is what I need to do :
- disconnect throttle signal cable from Spirit (as well as the BEC Output cable) ?
- connect HW programming unit to ESC and change from default Elf Governor to Store Governor

- re-connect Throttle & BEC cables to Spirit
- set throttle curve in Tx to flat 50%
- move throttle stick to 50%, throttle hold on
- Power on ESC, throttle hold off
- allow heli to spool up and leave for 15-20sec
- throttle hold on
- heli spools down, disconnect power.

If all this is correct, I am then unsure about the next step with no experience of the Governor mode. Do I set my throttle curve as I would normally like eg flat 80% (or thereabouts) ?

Thank you again

Smoggie

All of that is spot on except that you dont need to disconnect the throttle and BEC output leads. The programming box plugs in where the fan normally connects so there is no need to remove any other leads.

Yes, after doing the RPM standardisation you just set the flat throttle curve you want to fly with and go fly, simple as that.

Harford

Ok thanks. I went through the process today, all very straight forward and I was quite pleased with myself. That is until I read you must have main and tail blades on with this procedure. I will do it again a bit further down the track.. after I have finished the Spirit set up process.

Could you tell me please what throttle curve you use for normal flight mode with this governor set up ?

Smoggie

Doing the standardisation with the blades off wont do any harm.

For a maiden I'd typically take off with a 75% flat line curve. My other two modes would usually be 80% and 85%. After the maiden I'll tweak the curves as needed.

Harford

Many thanks for this. Does this mean I don't need to do the RPM standardization procedure again ?

The only other adjustment I made to the HW ESC settings was to reduce the BEC Voltage from 7.4v to 5.8v. This heli has DS610/DS650 servos.

Tks also re the throttle curve.

Harford

I am part way through the Spirit set up but have encountered a fundamental problem.

Main blade pitch is zero at low stick and approx. +7 degrees at mid stick. The pitch curve in the Tx is linear. The links servos to Swash and swash to main blade holders are precisely as specified in the Trex manual.

The swash is level throughout its range (some subtrim in Spirit required to achieve this). All servos and swash moving in the correct direction.

Swash type in Tx is set to Normal (single servo) and CCPM 120 in Spirit.

The Washout arms are level at low stick (where pitch is zero)

I must be missing something simple and would appreciate some help please.

I understand adjusting the linkage lengths would fix this but I would then be deviating from the specifications in the Manual (which I have never had to do previously with Trex helis).

Smoggie

You must adjust the position of the servo arms on their splines and if necassary servo trim in the FBL (no sub trim in Tx) in order to get all three servo arms exactly level at mid stick.

Sounds like you have set the arms to be level at bottom stick, which isn’t going to work

Harford

You are absolutely right. I thought I was being smart during the build process by using a servo centering tool and fixing the servo wheels at 90. Completely overlooking setup 101 by not doing this with servos connected and Tx at mid stick. There is not a lot I can say now that isn't obvious....

Many thanks

Smoggie

Easily done.... you should be able to zip through the setup process now. Maiden flight this weekend?

Top Bottom