Spektrum Spektrum DX8 w/ AR8000, AR6210, AR6115e and TM1000

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Question is if you have a bird that you put in say 1500-2000 bucks and is your priced possession, will you trust your 9x on it? Or would you be going for name brands. (keep aside the fact that you can afford one or not) :)

murankar

Staff member
I wish I could answer that question. I have the FrySky TH9X myself and I installed the back light kit and run two different types of batteries in it. I have gone through the menus on it and have noticed that mine has a fail safe option but I do not know enough to set it up. My radio also is a newer generation of the FS TH9X because they removed the FM antenna and moved the digital antenna into the FM location. It now looks like the Turnegy TH9X.

During my mod I did notice a bunch of plastic shavings in the case itself. It wasn't till I fully reassembled and noticed black specs in the view window, I thought I had broke the display. I then disassembled the case and proceeded to clean out what I could and then reassembled it. The batteries I run are: Energizer 2300 mah rechargeable AA and a 1500 mah HK 3S Lifepo. Nice thing is I can charge both via car and I will always have little down time due to dead batteries. I will have less flight time on the lifepo but it will last long enough to charge the 8 AA Energizers.

The sticks seem to move smoothly and I have many options to customize the TX switches and dials. Since I am just starting out this radio setup seems to be adequate for my needs. The antenna wire on the rx is long and for me it proved to work. I moded the FM tube and zip tied the end to the tube, this keeps the antenna away from the cf and routes it away from the motor. I think it can be seen in my pics that I posted on here a few weeks ago.

As for putting it in a $2000 bird, I would try and see how it handles.

One draw back is I have not found a satellite rx option as of yet. This could be a draw back for those 500 and bigger helis or planes of equivalent size. Another issue (minor) is the size of the rx, it will not fit inside the air frame of a 450; so you will have to mount it to the outside. One option that most people don't mention is the fact that it can handle gliders and v-tail.

I hope this helps any, I don't think it will though.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks Lee, seems I like the un-numbered mcpx better lmao. We will find out tonight when the wind dies down a bit. I have them both in there, and will try them both.

Keith, I agree if you are strapped for cash, the 9x is the way to go. I was going to get one, but didn't really want to take the chance on bricking it, and didn't really want to mod it that much just to get it to where I wanted it. I decided on the DX8 for many reasons. One of which is the warranty. If something goes wrong, there is a recall, or whatever, I know I'm covered, and I wont ever have to order another radio. IMO, you get what you pay for, and with this DX8, you pay a lot, but you also get a lot. From my 6i to the 8, I noticed increased response in my heli, it's easier to fly (or I'm getting better with time off, I think not lol), and the rubber grips are just gold in your hands when you are holding this thing.

All in all, it's dealers choice. There are thousands that go with, and stand behind the 9x, then there are thousands that stand behind spektrum/jr, not to mention futaba, airtronics, and all of the others out there. If someone has what they like, it's doing what they think is right and their aircraft are flying well, great. But like Gaba said, I have a lot of money in my planes. I'm not flying foamies or something I can replace for under $40. I'm flying planes that are $500+. If I lose a signal, and they crash, I'm a deadman when I walk in the house carrying paper bags that was once a plane hahaha.

Thanks for the writeup Keith, It's a great comparison of the two Tx's.

Keith

No problems Tony, at the end of the day it's being happy with what you have got. You can throw as much money as you want at this hobby and still want more. I know I will never spend hundreds of $$$ on a model so the 9x suits me fine. As for upgrading and modding it that is part of the hobby for me. I had to smile when you said you did not want to mad the 8, look what you did to the 6i. I cannot comment on Spektrum as I have never owned one, just Macgregor (now JR), Hitec and 9x. I don't think I would be in a rush to get one after what I read about the DMS2 debacle, although the DMSX has good reviews so far....

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I kinda went overboard with teh 6i lmao. Who knows, this DX8 may get a paint job after a couple years if that lmao. But, I'm going to try and keep it stock. It is working great.

As for what you said, "You can throw as much money as you want at this hobby and still want more", man you got that right lmao. There is a 12 channel JR that I have been looking at, but now that I have the DX8, it's not going to happen lmao.

Either way, it's about what you want in this hobby just as you stated. I wanted to try something new that I could post up on the forum, and after all of the looking, the DX8 was it. If I had gotten the 9X, that thing would have been modded to the hilt! But, if I buy another Tx within a year, my wife will have my nads in a jar on the nightstand so it's the last thing I see every night before going to bed :biggrin1:

Top Bottom