Spektrum Spektrum DX8 w/ AR8000, AR6210, AR6115e and TM1000

Lee

I love the fact that the timer starts and stops with throttle if you want it. Great for the MCPX with all the crashing. :D

Tony

Staff member
Okay so the DX8 is coming on Tuesday unless the brown truck driver flips the truck and kills himself (at least that is the only good excuse lmao, kidding). Now the dilemma is, what do I fly first? I'm thinking it's going to be the mcpx, but I also have my Trainer, the Extra 260, and the Edge 540. Yeah, I think I will start out with the heli just to warm up a little. Then maybe the 260 if I can get the grass cut down enough in the field. The 540 will prolly still not see the air for a while...

Lee

I have those MCPX setting files here but doesn't seem to be possible to upload them on here.???

Tony

Staff member
You can send them to a zip folder and upload them here. I downloaded two files from horizon that should work out unless they are stock and yours is upgraded lol. But if you want to upload them, just do a .zip file.

Tony

Staff member
My DX8 is in Oklahoma and will be here tomorrow. Too bad I have a meeting with an old employer which I may go back to work for. If this happens, then my time for flying will be drastically cut. But, the money is good. Figures something like this would happen. Oh well, life first, then hobbies...

Tony

Staff member
I just got back from my interview at the trucking company, and the box is not here yet. I did stop by the hobby store and picked up some parts for the Rustler though. This is going to make someone a great truck.

Unboxing video will be posted when I get everything else edited lol. I only have about 7 videos yet to edit and upload... Yes, I have been busy and it's going ot get worse.

Tony

Staff member
Oh yeah, I'm going to like this tx once I figure it out lmao. I uploaded the settings for the mcpx, and they are not quite right. Not enough negative pitch imo. I have to hold full negative just to slightly climb, and even then, if I get some dirty air, I'm screwed. Lee, if you can load your file for the DX8 for the mcpx, I would greatly appriciate it. There are no dual rates or anything in this one.

I'm not saying I couldn't set this model up custom, I would rather try something else rather than what I'm used to. I will have to say though, never once did I blow the tail out with this Tx. Flew two packs through the mcpx, did some inverted (more on that in a bit) and some slow, close range circuits to get back in the swing of things. Afterall, it's been a while since I have flown. And this feeling of shaking, what's that all about? lmao.

First battery, I wasn't sure what to expect. I tried out the dual rates and checked all of the movements and everything was correct. Then, I checked the pitch at mid stick, and it was off, so I adjusted that to 0 pitch (T-Hold on, or idle up settings) and I have the same positive and negative pitch. But, in the air, the motor is telling me I have more positive, a lot more. Anyway, I get everything where I like it and take it to the living room. The thing lifts off, and just sets in one place in the air. My DX6i would never do that, it was always moving around. I don't know what's different, but something is. So, we went outside.

I started off just hovering and doing some nose in and such, then started getting into some slow circles in front of me. Everything was going great so I took it a little higher for some FFF (Fast Forward Flight for those that don't know). The thing was solid, even in the wind that was coming over my house. So, started to get a little more confident that I had not lost as much as I thought I had, and it was time to do some inverted hovering. Took it up about 30' and flipped her over. This is when I realized I needed more negative pitch. I almost hit the ground, but saved it with full negative. It starts to climb, and at about 5' over the ground, the battery dies... No time to flip it back over lmao. She goes down, hits the fence and lands, no damage, not even a link.

It was then I noticed I had a minute left on the timer. Wait, I never activated the timer, nor do I know how to if I wanted to lmao. Then, I raise the throttle stick again, and she beeps, and starts counting down. Yeah, the program I put in there had an auto timer for this model, I LIKE!

Next battery, I do the same thing, circuits, FFF, inverted, the usual and I'm in love with this Tx. The DX8 is getting the wifes place in bed, she can sleep on the couch :biggrin1:

I will see what I can do about getting some video up. I just wanted to get some time in with the Tx and get some flying in before I made a complete ass of myself on camera haha. Now that I have that out of the way, it's video time. But, it will have to wait until after I get some other things taken care of. Not a big deal, just takes time.

My opinion in 8 minutes of flight, if you have the money, get the DX8. I don't really like that you have to hold the scroll wheel and turn it on to change models and such, but it cleans up the menu a lot. And, you are not transmitting a signal while setting up the model name, type and such. Great Tx and I will be having a lot of fun with it. Stay tuned, there is a lot more to come.

Lee

There are two MCPX setups in that PDF file you have. one is the standard, the other is the team test pilots, thats what i'm using.
As for holding the wheel down, you don't need to do that to change models. Just prees the two buttons on the left together and voila, your in the model menu.
Its a fantastic TX thats for sure.

Tony

Staff member
I figure I may want to charge those batteries in the DX8 lol. Just wanted to get two flights in before I killed them by over charging them hehe. No worry though. I did find in the manual though that you should not charge the NiMh batteries over 12 hours for the first charge. Not sure how long that one pack that melted charged, but it does have me worried. I will leave it on my desk in front of me until I go to bed, then shut it off.

I do have to say thought, I'm not crazy about the color on the Tx. Silver is not my thing. Maybe after a year or so, I will be painting this one too hehe.

Tony

Staff member
What one is what on the model setup? There is one that doesn't have a model number, then there is one that is number 30. Can you point me in the direction of the one you are using? The one I tried is 30, and I really hope that's not it...

Tony

Staff member
I think it was the one without a model number. Much better d/r. I did adjust the negative pitch though to about 90% from 75%. Only one way to really test that out. Too bad it's getting dark outside... Ah well, I will play with them both. Sucks that I have to bind each time though. I'm sure I will stick with the first one though.

Keith

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys.... just read this on a US site called 'flying giants' I think it was..

The early 9X radios (often sold under the iMax brand) had very poor quality control. The soldering was awful, cases were often cracked during assembly and so they were very much a lottery.

Since HobbyKing started selling them under the Turnigy brand they have improved immensely.

For a start, the standard RF system has been upgraded from a single-frequency DSSS system to a full-time frequency-hopping one -- although it's still only suitable for smaller/lighter models because there's no user-settable failsafe.

However, if you fit a FrSky module (or even better, an internal FrSky DIY conversion) you end up with a FHSS system that's very good indeed.

Upgrade the standard Turnigy software with the free ER9X software and you get a radio with features that will put the DX8, T8FG and many other "brand name" radios to shame.

I've flown a wide range of models (jets, DLG, 3D, gasers, sport models, foamies) with the 9X/FrSky combination and it has been flawless. I've flown FPV models to over 2Kms and the FrSky system has delivered a rock-solid RF link all the way.

To be honest, for $58 it is the bargain of the century and when they're on special (prices as low as $38 each) I can't think of any reason *not* to buy one. At that price it's a radio you can throw in the car or truck, along with your favourite foamie or whatever -- so that you've always got a model at hand if you get a few moments.

When I dropped my original 9X and broke it up, it was cheaper to replace the whole damned radio than it was to buy two new switches for my JR9303 when I once dropped that.

So -- not a perfect radio (no sliders, standard software is simply "okay", only 8-model memories (16 with the ER9X software)) but it's unbeatable bang for your buck -- even the receivers are $9 a pop.

The standard RF system links up instantly and seems pretty resilient to interference. The FrSky RF system is even better and offers a wider range of receivers -- and there's a telemetry option -- something the 8FG doesn't even offer yet at any price.

When I compared the 9X to the JR 8XG recently, I found the 9X to be a much more solid-feeling radio with better stick units than the far more expensive JR unit. I find that the 9X is a *much* better radio for flying aggressive 3D too because I'm a "thumbs" flier and most other radios are just too big for my average-sized hands -- making it difficult to reach all corners of the gimbals without having to constantly reposition my thumbs. It's not a big stretch with the 9X and I love that.

The bottom line?

I have a JR 8XG, a JR 9303, a Hitec A9, E7 and O6 -- but 95% of the time, I fly my Turnigy 9X.

Top Bottom