Flight Controllers Spectrum 6i set up with the Flip 1.5 quad board.

Dandyfunk

Well today the build was completed, Flip board configured, and she had her maiden hop. Within the software all flight surfaces were able to be configured per the requirements on the flip board packaging except one.....throttle. If you look at the picture of the package it says to set the throttle trim at -50% I do not know where they want this setting done. Throttle adjustment does not go to negative numbers. Are they referring to sub trim adjustments???? The result of this setting being out of adjustment is a dead spot at bottom end of the throttle stick movement. It advances about 11 clicks then launches into the air. Instant throttle not a slow increase. At this point I cannot say if the throttle will slowly increase smoothly from the launch on up the stick range because I am scared as I cant fly!!! So guys I am a total noob to the software config stuff so I used the video "Flip 1.5 for dummies" as my guide. Great video!! a big thanks to the maker!! In the video we adjust the ppm's (pulse per minutes I think) on throttle elevator aileron and rudder. The maker suggested 880 ppm for a low and 2020 for a high. My spectrum Dx6i would only allow a low of 1000 ppm and a high of 2000 ppm for elevator, rudder, and aileron but on throttle the low was the same, 1000 ppm but the high could only reach 1520 ppm.

- - - Updated - - -

20160927_223736.jpg

20160927_223736.jpg

Dandyfunk

From what I can tell from the on line search I may have a bad pot on the throttle. When in monitor mode the throttle will not move past the half way point. No matter how the adjustments are set it will not pass the half way point. I have seen a lot of threads on this subject concerning rudder and aileron. None on the throttle.

Tony

Staff member
Go into your travel adjustment menu and make sure you are at 0 and 100 (or whatever the low and high is for the DX6i, I can't remember). You will have to move your throttle stick low and high to see each setting. But make sure those are the largest number you can get for each position.

Next thing you can do is to calibrate your ESC's to the transmitter. I don't have much experience with multiwii but I do know that open pilot and cleanflight both have a way to calibrate the ESC's to your Tx (or vice versa, it's early lol) within the software.

If there is no way to do it in the software, you can do it manually. First, make sure you are at the absolute lowest and highest setting in the travel adjust menu on throttle. Make sure you have a linear throttle curve and make sure you have no dual rate or expo on the throttle channel.

Turn your Tx on and raise your throttle to max. plug in your quad and wait for the first set of beeps (the quad should have no props on at this stage for safety)Once you hear the beeps, lower the throttle all the way down. The quad should initialize as it normally does.

This should set your endpoints for the ESC's. Let me know how that goes.

Dandyfunk

Thanks Tony, I have done all that you have suggested three times with two receivers. When you go to the Monitor screen the throttle arrow will not advance past the half way mark. I have set the end points in every config possible while plugged into the software and off line. While attached to my pc I can see the pwm values and they reflect the same as the on board monitor, a max reading of 1500pwm or 1/2 (midpoint). All other channels can swing a range of 1000pwm to 2000 pwm. Only the throttle can not. Therefore I make the assumption that the throttle pot is bad. There was a recall on this tx. I believe it was for this very problem. Do you know anything about the recall. I have owned thi tx since it first came on the market.

Tony

Staff member
Can you post a video of each of the settings? I have a feeling that I'm missing something.

Dandyfunk

I just received my Turnigy 9x radio in the mail this morning. I think that I am gonna bail on the 6i. Every video that I have seen that duplicates my problem can only be fixed by a potentiomiter replacement. That exceeds the effort that i am willing to do. I will try and post a video.

Dandyfunk

Hey all, Just thought that I would check back in. Thanks to all the help. The copter is up and flying using the Naze32r5 board and my new Turnigy 9x radio. My favorite and trusty Spectrum 6I went back into airplane use and works just fine. I sent an email to RTF quads about the Flip 1.5 board and never heard a word back. Prolly does not matter as it took me two years to build the darn thing. Much happier with the Naze and clean flight anyway. Cheers all......Breck

Top Bottom