450 servo slop and bouncing heli

danhampson

i had a slight altercation with the ground today practicing right side in hover, anyway i bent the mainshaft, feathering shaft, tail shaft, stripped the main gear and finally broke my brand new rail blades.
after going over the heli and replacing the bent/broken parts and giving the heli an all over inspection, i took her out to the garden to track the blades (blades had been already been balanced), she seemed to spool up out untill just over mid stick (throttle curve 0, 85, 85, 85, 85) (pitch curve -2, -1, 0, then linear) when she started jumping up and down. i took her to the bench and inspected the servos again, there is no notchyness when moving the manually but there is some play in one of them.
my cyclic servos are ds410m that came with my pro v2 3gx kit

Last edited by a moderator:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
That looks a bit much .. is your servo case damaged? That will cause this kind of a slop and yes wobble in the air and non positive control.

you will have to unmount the servo and do a case and gear inspection there. If case is damaged.. just get yourself a new servo (DS410's are dicontinued.. so you'll have to find on ebay or a private seller)... or replace them all with 415's.. IF needed... Hopefully not

danhampson

ive had another look the case doesnt seem to be damaged from what i can see without removing it. but there is some play in the output shaft.
I was planning to do a full strip down and rebuild after my holiday (next week). so its going to have to wait until then.

stokke

In my experience the Align 450 servo's are very fragile, and therefore do not hold up very well during a crash. Personally I've gone though about 9 servos on my 450 (so the 10th 11th and 12th are currently mounted LOL).

Anyways, get used to swapping out servos...

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
servos do end up taking a load of the brunt.. esp if throttle hold is not hit at the right time.

even my MKS servos .. on my warp.. are stripping gears. I stripped a tail servo and my cyclic is a bit gritty after one crash. Its normal .. any servo would do that..

Whats funny is that the tail servo didnt "strip" ..the output gear has a shaft connecting it to the pot... .. the shaft snapped in half right in the middle. GEars were perfect.. LOL

so.. its expected. I burned through a bunch of Align 410's too on my 450 pro which i sold .. they have to also be mounted right.. (at right angles and all .. ) or the cases tend to warp and destroy the inners of servos in normal flights.. Your is probablly not that.. but good to remember.

danhampson

I think im going to take the servo out tomorrow and have a look at its guts then i can work out what to do from there.
It does look like the output shaft is broken because of the play the servo horn screw move side to side when pushed/pulled.

danhampson

I think im going to take the servo out tomorrow and have a look at its guts then i can work out what to do from there.
It does look like the output shaft is broken because of the play the servo horn screw move side to side when pushed/pulled.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry bout the double post my phone being mental

danhampson

I ended up taking the servo out for inspection, and found that the screw retaining the servo arm had come loose with the impact do I checked it was at 90ish to the servo and reapplied blue lock tight and reinstalled.
Everything seems to be OK just waiting for a break in the weather to maiden.
My batteries are charged and I'm going on holiday for a week will they be OK to leave or should I discharge them?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I ended up taking the servo out for inspection, and found that the screw retaining the servo arm had come loose with the impact do I checked it was at 90ish to the servo and reapplied blue lock tight and reinstalled.
Everything seems to be OK just waiting for a break in the weather to maiden.
My batteries are charged and I'm going on holiday for a week will they be OK to leave or should I discharge them?

Recommended to out them at storage charge.. I am guilty of not doing it too.. But it's very good to. Charger should have a setting for it..

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

danhampson

Cheers Gaba will do that. I've been flying about 2/3 times a week since I got it so have just been charging the packs up knowing that I'm going to use them.
OMG I don't know if I can cope with no helis for a week.

Top Bottom