General Second Hand T-Rex 550 - Shall I buy it?

Heliman450

Hi all, I know I'm quoted as having said that I wouldn't buy second hand, however, that was from e-bay and unknown sources. A customer of my local heli shop is selling his T-Rex 550 (he's scared of it) for the equivalent of $450. It has only been in the air 5 times and the original build was overseen by one of the guys in the store so he knows the bird. The original kit was in the store 4 years ago. I looked it over and it all seems perfect (no spool-up). If I went ahead, it would be a second one to my next new purchase.

I'd appreciate any feedback to help with my decision. Thanks in anticipation.

Tony

Staff member
What gyro does it have in it? Align servos? If it has a good gyro, I would get it. You can fix anything else later.

Tony

Staff member
Your first upgrade, get a better gyro. I can almost guarantee you the 3GX is why it scared the last guy. These cost about a grand new so even with the purchase of a gyro (which I have seen CHEAP on other forums) you will still come out ahead! I would do it if I had the money.

bbj

I agree buy it but change that gyro. I now see helidirect reduced the price of the Ikon. Its now $149.99 or with a Bluetooth $161.99. Its a nice bird and very stable.

Tony

Staff member
That is a great price on the Ikon. And the blue tooth is awesome (I have it on my 600) if you are running an Android phone.

Heliman450

Your first upgrade, get a better gyro. I can almost guarantee you the 3GX is why it scared the last guy. These cost about a grand new so even with the purchase of a gyro (which I have seen CHEAP on other forums) you will still come out ahead! I would do it if I had the money.

Guys, thanks for the feedback. I'll sleep on it and let you know what went down.

Heliman450

Guys, thanks for the feedback. I'll sleep on it and let you know what went down.

Well here we go! As you can see, I went ahead and bought it. As I didn't want the 3GX, I was able to get it for $358. I think a very good deal.

Batteries were another matter and as expected when making the upgrade in size there was a big outlay to go with it. I only need to decide on my gyro and then I can begin the checking to make sure everything's on top form.

My Helis 01.JPGMy Helis 02.JPG

Bye now!

My Helis 01.JPG

My Helis 02.JPG

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Fantastic. Seeing as your JR Tx is DSM2, you can use any gyro you want. I suggest teh Ikon and as stated before, they are on one hell of a sale right now.

Congrats on the purchase and NOT going through the hell that is the 3GX!

trainrider06

Whew weee that's a big ol heli! Great deal too!
Those AR7300BX I noticed at Amain hobbies here in the states were like $129.00-$130.00 really cheap!

Heliman450

Hi all, thanks for the positive feedback. I'm looking forward to the challenge of checking it over and figuring out the wiring :homer:. I'm currently trying to source an iKON gyro here in Switzerland. Failing that my next choice is a Bavarian Demon, which I can get from over the border priced 279Euros. We're due to pop over there for a few other things, too.

Bye now!

Heliman450

Hi all, thanks for the positive feedback. I'm looking forward to the challenge of checking it over and figuring out the wiring :homer:. I'm currently trying to source an iKON gyro here in Switzerland. Failing that my next choice is a Bavarian Demon, which I can get from over the border priced 279Euros. We're due to pop over there for a few other things, too.

Bye now!

Hi all, just finished the order of my Aluminium iKon with the Bluetooth interface. This particular one isn't in stock yet, but I couldn't resist how cool it looks compared to the plastic one.

Tony

Staff member
I have thought about getting the aluminum one just for the bling factor on the 600. Wonder if they are going to sell just the case... lmao. And I love the bluetooth adapter. Sucks that you have to purchase the app, but it's worth it when you are out at the field and you don't have your computer. Just remember, it's for android only unless something has changed.

Heliman450

Hi Tony, thanks for the reminder. I still have an Android phone from a while back as my spare, so no problem there. It'll give it something to do in future.

Tony

Staff member
Don't tell me you are using an iphone... Oh it seems I need to teach people a little better on here hahahahaha

Heliman450

Don't tell me you are using an iphone... Oh it seems I need to teach people a little better on here hahahahaha

Hi Tony, it will have to be pretty convincing to overcome the dictate of the one who must be obeyed LOL!!!!

Tony

Staff member
I don't like the ipnone because it's too limited. It looks like the icons on it should be on a childs toy or something. And there is very little you can do with the phone (stock that is, jailbroken phones are a little better). But, with Android, stock to stock vs the iphone, you have much more you can do with the phone, you can add widgets to it to do just about anything you want it to do and when rooted, it blows the iphone out of the water.

With all of that said though, if you are just looking for a phone that works, you can get internet and apps for, the iphone is great. If you like to do stuff a little more indepth, like playing around with settings and such, then the android OS is where it's at.

Speaking of rooting a phone, I think I'm about to root my note 2 and my Note 4! This is going to be fun... When I have time to do it hahaha. Might have to make time.

Sorry for the thread jack... :threadjacked:

trainrider06

How dare you attack my IPhone! Lol
Yeah I am just into an occasional game (WGT golf)
Making calls/text, and finding info on stuff on web.
I use my PC for the rest of it....I am sure I am a dinosaur for using
a P/C too. Besides some of these phones I've seen are so big and honkin
people are gonna have to have back packs to carry them in soon! Lol
I understand what your saying though......back to thread sorry...

Top Bottom