General Second Hand T-Rex 550 - Shall I buy it?

Heliman450

Hi guys! No concept in my mind about thread-jacking. I enjoy everything about the Forum and chatting away in the lounge seems like the thing to do.

I'm back from the UK, so now I can look in regularly. Bought some cool stuff and will soon get round to sharing it with you in another thread.

Bye for now!

Heliman450

Cool! Waiting to hear about the new stuff!

Hi Rodney, apart from a lot of bits and pieces to help out with the routine maintenance (disposables), I picked up the items pictured below. The 1st Person Camera should help tremendously to satisfy the calls for video content in my threads :biggrin-new:. I have some ideas to come soon :yahoo:

1st Person Camera_01.JPG1st Person Camera_02.JPG100g Weighscale.JPG500g Weighscale.JPGWeighscales.JPG

The weighscales will help me with balancing things up where necessary. Today, I did some work using them to balance up the new rotor head for my Blade 450X. I plan to video the process with the new camera.

Bye for now!

1st Person Camera_01.JPG

1st Person Camera_02.JPG

100g Weighscale.JPG

500g Weighscale.JPG

Weighscales.JPG

trainrider06

Awe Phil, that is some waaaay cool stuff I really dig those glasses!
How do those work? Where is the camera in them or are they FPV glasses?
That's a nice scale also!

Heliman450

Awe Phil, that is some waaaay cool stuff I really dig those glasses!
How do those work? Where is the camera in them or are they FPV glasses?
That's a nice scale also!

Hi Rodney, the lens for the camera is right between the eyes, just below the eyebrow line. I'll do another picture sometime soon with better lighting. As everything is black it's difficult to see on that shot.

I tried out my best three videoing options (Handycam, Sunnycam and iPhone) and unfortunately, the FPV of the glasses is too close to the lens and with no "through the lens" view for the user, it gives a perspective, which is too high, so to get close-ups in shot one has to look lower than is comfortable. They should be great for the flying field (or walking through the woods). I hope to get some footage this week of the 450X's first testing since the new head was fitted. More on that later in another thread. Bye now!

trainrider06

Hmm maybe you could drop the glasses down your nose for close ups or something??
Dang! I just bought this Turnigy action cam, I'd much preferred some glasses like these! :(.

Heliman450

Hmm maybe you could drop the glasses down your nose for close ups or something??
Dang! I just bought this Turnigy action cam, I'd much preferred some glasses like these! :(.

Hi again Rodney, I'm sure there's a few tricks to try out. Trouble is that you can't see what you're recording. When the subject is up close it's just so much worse. It just means that the recording needs to be done again if it's not right so really down to practice, that's all.

I did some videoing today with my Sony Handycam and will upload it to my laptop after this response. File sizes are massive though. Yesterday, I downloaded some editing software but it's only on trial and posts a big warning right in the middle of the shot! File size was reduced with a format change (MP4), I need to spend some time with it to fine tune my output. I watched Tony's video on "How to" upload the videos, but it didn't really help unlike the PhotoScape software that's great for the pictures. Back to work on videos! Bye for now.

Tony

Staff member
I have had a few pairs of these glasses and didn't like them much. There is a sound when you move. Mine started to not focus on anything so the video was blurry, and about the only thing they were good for (when they focused) was action shots when flying. I tried doing some up close video of what I was working on (after taking the lenses out) and it didn't turn out well at all.

with that said though, this looks like a different brand than what I had. So maybe you will have better luck with them than I did. I sure hope so. lol.

Heliman450

Hi Tony, I'm hoping to give them a try tomorrow morning. Weather looks good but the wind's a bit high now and still forecast as such for the morning.

Any tips on the file size, what format's the best to use etc.?

Tony

Staff member
With mine, there was only one kind of file (and I can't remember what that is). If you have the option to shoot in different file types, I would start with MP4 or H.264. As for tips, Remember to move your head. The camera won't follow your eyes lol. I learned this the hard way.

Heliman450

I was just looking at the videos, not too bad for a first try. Definitely no oscar nominations to come!

Thanks for the tips.

trainrider06

Hi again Rodney, I'm sure there's a few tricks to try out. Trouble is that you can't see what you're recording. When the subject is up close it's just so much worse. It just means that the recording needs to be done again if it's not right so really down to practice, that's all.

I did some videoing today with my Sony Handycam and will upload it to my laptop after this response. File sizes are massive though. Yesterday, I downloaded some editing software but it's only on trial and posts a big warning right in the middle of the shot! File size was reduced with a format change (MP4), I need to spend some time with it to fine tune my output. I watched Tony's video on "How to" upload the videos, but it didn't really help unlike the PhotoScape software that's great for the pictures. Back to work on videos! Bye for now.

Ahh I understand, your talking about like the screen on the back of say like my Turnigy action cam....Yeah I saw the review the guy did of the glasses, and he said one would have to do trial and error video shoots with them to get the best shots....

- - - Updated - - -

I gotta check this out...Tony has such a huge lot of help sections I keep forgetting the guy has covered just about everything LOL

Heliman450

I think it will be just the thing for FPV of the action at the field. The heli will be well forward (hopefully!!) and I'll be concentrating on the action and not looking all over the place. Fingers crossed on the wind tomorrow and I'll shoot some footage of my Blade 450X's first test of its new rotor head.

Tony

Staff member
Didn't see the last part of that on uploading videos. I did forget to touch on the most important part lol, the editing! If you are on a windows machine, get windows movie maker. It's lightweight, but it will reduce your file size. You can also adjust the size of the video and such and also cut out bad parts. Once it's rendered, that is where the video deal was that I have on the site.

trainrider06

Didn't see the last part of that on uploading videos. I did forget to touch on the most important part lol, the editing! If you are on a windows machine, get windows movie maker. It's lightweight, but it will reduce your file size. You can also adjust the size of the video and such and also cut out bad parts. Once it's rendered, that is where the video deal was that I have on the site.
Where is this at?

- - - Updated - - -

I think it will be just the thing for FPV of the action at the field. The heli will be well forward (hopefully!!) and I'll be concentrating on the action and not looking all over the place. Fingers crossed on the wind tomorrow and I'll shoot some footage of my Blade 450X's first test of its new rotor head.

Hope all goes well!

Top Bottom