Projects Scratch built hovercraft

wolfman76

WOW!!! it has definitely been a long time sine i have posted anything about this project but just to let everyone know it is not forgotten just been shelved and i do have every intention of continuing it. I will be starting it up again very soon just been working alot and have had a ton of other projects going on more to come very soon...

Tony

Staff member
Kyle, it's about damn time you came back and posted up!!! lmao. I was just thinking about you the other day. I think we need a tree skimming run in RF!!! Phoenix is just not the same.

wolfman76

i am totaly updated on both now have RF 7.5 now and just re installed phoenix but i think i need to do some tweeking on it how you been man i got the message you put about Sam HOLY CRAP man major loss of super great guy last i had talked to him he seemed like he was doing better was really heart broken to hear about his passing. will pm you my new cell plus i am still on skype under same name it is always on my cell

- - - Updated - - -

bout to post up pics of some new shells i have done and will be doing
plus putting my 3.3 t-maxx up for sell getting into 1/5th scale got a kingmotor x2 (5t)

wolfman76

as soon as i can get some actual time to myself i will get it out of moth balls and start working on it again... going to remove some of the gromets from the skit to lighten it up a little bit and rubberize othe side of the skirt to make it completely waterproof. i want to get it done so i can play with it lol

wolfman76

as soon as I can get I am planning on getting going on this project again I really want to finish it I have always loved hovercrafts which is why I started this and I do intend on finishing it hopefully sooner rather then later

Stambo

I got mine working ages ago, it's a lot of fun.
Didn't like the water though, needs some mods. :)

Stambo

Plenty of air, just not so good design, the bag was filling with water, I do have some ideas to improve it though.
Was a bit of a learning curve for control too, they don't turn too well at low throttle.
The rudder works from prop airflow, not the same as an airplane, so it will only turn with enough throttle input.
Here's a vid of it working, it's a bit long but you will see we get there in the end.

I used a plastic rubbish sack for the skirt which does not last long.
I just tried some heavier plastic but it does not work as well, need something somewhere in between.
I have the lift motor on a dial and the thrust motor on the throttle, both are shut down by the throttle hold switch
I set the dial to where it needs to be and leave it there and switch it on and off with throttle hold.
I have some pics somewhere, I will see if I can find them and add them to this post.

RC Hovercraft Maiden - YouTube

2016-06-19 22.49.18.jpg

2016-06-19 22.25.14.jpg

2016-06-18 21.38.03.jpg

Last edited:

wolfman76

is very similar to my design but might I recommend a second rudder for more control I am going to be using a dual rudder on mine I used a single rudder on my giant snow skidder and control was so sluggish once I added a second rudder it had way better control I did small holes on the entire bottom of my skirt cause I figured it would be more even airflow and less likely to teeter totter

Stambo

I found once I understood how it worked, control was not an issue.
It just does not turn well without power on.
I will soon try duct tape to see if my idea works so I can run it on water.

wolfman76

I just can't wait to c how mine is going to run not sure if my design for the skirt will be to heavy or not but I guess I will find out soon enough right... lol yours is coming right along great job buddy

Top Bottom