700 Reserved for new 700e HV dfc project

xokia

Oh how I love the clean look of sleeved wires!
Yea took me a while to do stuck heat shrink at both ends.

This thing is almost ready to fly I just need to wire up the main batteries. I also want to hook up the TM1000. I was thinking of sticking the temperature probe on the ESC. Good idea yes/no? Also which battery voltage do you guys usually monitor? I assume the reciever battery?

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I did the same thing to the wires on the 600. It's a pain, but pays off in the end. As for the temp wire, I would put it around the motor where it mounts to the plate. That is where most of the heat is going to be. I'm not sure, but a lot of the larger ESC's will have a program, such as Castle, that will monitor the heat in the ESC and display it in a graph. As for the voltage, I would monitor it from the Rx. I don't think the telemetry can handle 12s or whatever you are running on that thing. I would just stick with what the Rx it putting out. You may check the manual though and verify if you can check the main pack voltage. If you can, then you could possibly wire up two sensors for voltage. One that gets it's reading from the 3 wire plug going from the Rx to the TM1000 and the other that is just the two wire, and solder that to the ESC leads coming from the battery. Again though, double check if you can do this and not blow up that telemetry module. That would suck lmao.

xokia

I was thinking for main packs a simple voltage divider would work. Wouldn't get the actual voltage but a multiple of it. Can the tm1000 support more than one voltage reading? Also which rpm sensor should I get?

Tony

Staff member
Yes it can support more than one. It has the Rx pack voltage and the Rx voltage I think. This is why I say check the manual before thinking about hooking it up to anything over 6v. and I have no idea about the sensor. I know nitro, but not electric sensors.

xokia

So looks like just plugging it into the data port I get the receiver voltage. And the external voltage sensor will read up to 60v so I should be good for my 12s packs. Looks like they recommend soldering the rpm sensor not sure that's an option anymore :(

pvolcko

Looks good. I am still deciding on to route the motor leads off the esc to the back (under the mounting plate) or off the top and do what you did. Except I wouldn't be running all the way under the main gear, I'd run motor leads straight back to the ESC location and would have to jam the esc motor leads into the area under the mounting plate and zip tie the hell out of things to keep it secure and way from the elevator arm. On the 700e V2 the elevator arm and antirotation are the same piece and the elevator servo linkage takes up more space so it is a bit of a tight fit back there compared to yours. I'll try to get some pics today and get it posted up on my 700e thread.

xokia

So here is how I routed my power wires. I think I could probably chop an additional 2 inches off the battery wires. What do you guys think to long?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
From the battery fathest from the esc, what's the length of the wire solder to solder to the esc?

Regardless you can definitely eliminate that series converter in the middle if you want by doing how I do on my 700.. Make the connector for the esc a "series" connector
Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Last edited:

xokia

From the battery fathest from the esc, what's the length of the wire solder to solder to the esc?

Regardless you can definitely eliminate that series converter in the middle if you want by doing how I do on my 700.. Make the connector for the esc a "series" connector
Got pictures?
Battery wire is 11 inches.
My series adapter is 2.5 inches

I could probably chop off 2 inches on both battery wires.

I think maybe you mean like this?
BF0BC8D1-5539-485F-85FC-3AEA1400A302-12355-000006A1483846D1_zpse6fcf221.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
That red cross over wire needs to be about double the size that it is in that picture. At least as big as the battery wires are.

xokia

That red cross over wire needs to be about double the size that it is in that picture. At least as big as the battery wires are.
It is its the same wire.
Battery wires are 10 gauge esc wires are 8 gauge
Crossover wire is also 10 gauge

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Sorry I couldn't take a pic in the morning.. Forgot as I was running late to work lol

All it is , instead of having a series adapter , wire your esc like that series adapter

That eliminates one connector abd couple inches of wiring

xokia

So I chopped off 1.5 inches from the batteries. So my longest battery wire is now 9.5 long.
I have no series connector I flip the battery connectors side ways. Then use a 8 gauge loop to connect the batteries in series. Same as in the picture posted above but now my battery cables are shorter. That was a good tip coolgabsi thanks!!

I hovered this thing for the first time today so I could set the tail. I love it!!!!!!!

Anyone know if I can feed the rpm wire out of the CC ESC directly into a TM1000?

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Nice!!!! Video!???!!!!!!????????????????????????

Maiden and no video? That is just WRONG!

xokia

Nice!!!! Video!???!!!!!!????????????????????????

Maiden and no video? That is just WRONG!

Wasn't really a mayden flight. It was a mayden hover in my driveway nothing exciting. About 3 feet off the ground that was about it just centering the tail.

The thing is so dang stable I'm not used to that I can take my hands off the controls and it just sits there. No corrections needed, I'm just not used to that.

This is what I ended up with for battery connections

Wasted a bunch of connectors before finally ending up with this. :(
Even let my attention slip for 1/2 a second and the wires touched just barely.
Even made the mistake of unplugging the charge wires from the charger before the battery. Wont make that mistake again.

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Wasn't exactly what I was saying to do. But ... Nothing wrong with it at all. Just one extra connector and a peice you have to carry.

More like this ... (Not my diagram) just snagged off the Internet .. But exactly my wiring minus the bec.

Dropbox - Photo May 25, 4 23 10 PM.jpg

Soldering does get stupid with that much wire And so much solder hahaha

I started doing it at 750F ...

Westy

LEGEND
So you guys aren't going HV servos? or are you just using a 2s Lipo with Voltage converter/reducer.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
So you guys aren't going HV servos? or are you just using a 2s Lipo with Voltage converter/reducer.

Well I am not HV at all. I run a LiFe pack straight to the ikon . With ds610's .. With those the heli is fast and powerful enough. I bet HV ones will do awesome . But I just didn't see a need for them

Hyperion Life 6.6 V 3800mah Tx pack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom