600 Redline nitro engine tuning

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for the pictures & maybe you have a bad servo! The new motor should solve the problem! The Best with your heli! :lol: :twothumbsup:

The servo seems to be working fine and a new engine wouldn't solve the issue, the engine is working fine as well.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
ok YES like tony said, man, this needs a fan blowing on your engine. :) through that shroud.

Servo doing that is definitely something to do with the electronics (servo / goveernor)

I had that happen to me.. What happened was that my governor didnt know the end points on the servo and thought that the low position was "30percent" or "engage" position, and as soon t would start, it would think, that the servo is going lower throttle than higher and shut itelf down.. disengage.. then over and over again.

All about redoing your end points. Now if you didnt have a TX hooked up to this heli at this moment, bro that is dangerous.. :)

Any waz.. yeah.. for now put that servo right on the rx straight up for now.. and start it again.. :) It should do better.
Drill start.. Nice!

Just be careful.. if your engine gets hydrolocked.. drill wont care and keep torquing the engine.. and you can bend your piston rod.. :) please be careful. Nothing wrong with that method... I used that for a while too :) :)

Let us know how it went bro :)

kiwi_flyer

so after a epic all nighter, 20 cups of coffie, pack of ciggs, a couple of striped screws here is the outcome. Still have alot of tinkering to do but im half dead now. Time for a nap..
- - - Updated - - -

so after a epic all nighter, 20 cups of coffie, pack of ciggs, a couple of striped screws here is the outcome. Still have alot of tinkering to do but im half dead now. Time for a nap.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdGIeGVaGtI&feature=youtu.be

- - - Updated - - -

As for the drill start the proper starter was on the charge ;) . I also have the gearbox on the drill set to 4 so if I flood the engine the gearbox in the drill just clicks rather then buggering the heli up . But keep the advice coming, this is all ver new to me .
ok YES like tony said, man, this needs a fan blowing on your engine. :) through that shroud.

Servo doing that is definitely something to do with the electronics (servo / goveernor)

I had that happen to me.. What happened was that my governor didnt know the end points on the servo and thought that the low position was "30percent" or "engage" position, and as soon t would start, it would think, that the servo is going lower throttle than higher and shut itelf down.. disengage.. then over and over again.

All about redoing your end points. Now if you didnt have a TX hooked up to this heli at this moment, bro that is dangerous.. :)

Any waz.. yeah.. for now put that servo right on the rx straight up for now.. and start it again.. :) It should do better.
Drill start.. Nice!

Just be careful.. if your engine gets hydrolocked.. drill wont care and keep torquing the engine.. and you can bend your piston rod.. :) please be careful. Nothing wrong with that method... I used that for a while too :) :)

- - - Updated - - -

As for the drill start the proper starter was on the charge ;) . I also have the gearbox on the drill set to 4 so if I flood the engine the gearbox in the drill just clicks rather then buggering the heli up . But keep the advice coming, this is all ver new to me .

Drill start.. Nice!

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek

I know very very little about nitro's, but I am curious...Is the Pitch Curve on this heli set right? To me....upon spool up, the smoke is getting blown straight up instead of down and away until right before there is a bit of a "hop" from the ground. I've seen, on YouTube, a few videos of the Pitch Curve being set wrong and, upon spool up, the blade pitch was pushing the smoke straight up and there was some very serious vibrations because the heli is being pushed down via negative pitch and then....the heli actually exploded into pieces.

It's quite possible that I'm seeing this wrong. I wanted to say something because I'd just hate to see that happen to this heli.

- - - Updated - - -

I know very very little about nitro's, but I am curious...Is the Pitch Curve on this heli set right? To me....upon spool up, the smoke is getting blown straight up instead of down and away until right before there is a bit of a "hop" from the ground. I've seen, on YouTube, a few videos of the Pitch Curve being set wrong and, upon spool up, the blade pitch was pushing the smoke straight up and there was some very serious vibrations because the heli is being pushed down via negative pitch and then....the heli actually exploded into pieces.

It's quite possible that I'm seeing this wrong. I wanted to say something because I'd just hate to see that happen to this heli.

Tony

Staff member
He just had a lot of negative pitch. I'm pretty sure he has a linear pitch curve setup and not one that only has a few degrees of negative pitch at low stick.

Derek

ahhh, that very well could be. didn't think of that.

- - - Updated - - -

ahhh, that very well could be. didn't think of that.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Well good that you got the engine idling and not dying on you... :) you fixed it!! ;)

As Mountain Dew dude said... Smoke is going up way too much.. Please be very careful spooling up... Don't spoil up to anywhere till the bird is ready to tip/ fly away. Not doubting your skills in flying but just that its not setup right it seems.

I still didn't see a cooling shroud on the engine... Man you are running this engine with almost no cooling. I think looking at the video at least it seems like I can see the redline's red head. That is not good bro. That could be causing his harsh sounding less smoke issue tony...

And your blade grips are waaaay to loose. Any load on the head, the blade might fold and hit the tail boom at much higher rpm and destroy it like it touched it in the starting of the video.:) so please be careful.

You might already know all this, but I saw some things wanted to make sure I pointed them out rather than assuming that it'll be covered probably ;)

There was some vibration... But remember a lean or hot running engine on a heli will produce a ton of vibration.. And we'll tuned engine will keep it smooth. Another way to tell if you are tuned right ;)

Heli looks good! :)

murankar

Staff member
unless your a skilled flier I would spool up with tail in. also you will want way more weight on those skids if you want to spool up to higher head speeds.

kiwi_flyer

Hey there all :) WOW I have just slept close to 12 hrs and I come back to this :) :) :) Where to start? I had a hell of alot of - pitch just to aid in keeping the heli grounded but gave it a little to much throttle. Im used to electric where they seem to be much more responsive so gave it stick and it took a couple seconds to catch up If ya know what I mean. The ducting has just arrived on my doorstep so ill be putting that on. The reason for the vid was just to show I had it running. I still have to double check the 3G settings, track the blades ect. Im hopeing to have everything done today so I can take it for a whirl. One thing I have noticed is when it's running it scares the crap out of me. Will upload a maiden video once shes all go. Cheers guys you a all awsome :):):)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey there all :) WOW I have just slept close to 12 hrs and I come back to this :) :) :) Where to start? I had a hell of alot of - pitch just to aid in keeping the heli grounded but gave it a little to much throttle. Im used to electric where they seem to be much more responsive so gave it stick and it took a couple seconds to catch up If ya know what I mean. The ducting has just arrived on my doorstep so ill be putting that on. The reason for the vid was just to show I had it running. I still have to double check the 3G settings, track the blades ect. Im hopeing to have everything done today so I can take it for a whirl. One thing I have noticed is when it's running it scares the crap out of me. Will upload a maiden video once shes all go. Cheers guys you a all awsome :):):)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
and tighten your blade grips! :D :D MUCH MUCH TIGHTER than that :D heehee

- - - Updated - - -

kiwi_flyer

hahahaha yes and tighten the blade grips :)

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

hahahaha yes and tighten the blade grips :)

- - - Updated - - -

BOKI

kiwi flyer; Just talked to a friend of mine & he said your blade pitch is reversed on the helicopter! He has a nitro & that's the first thing he said! He has been in RC for many years & belongs to our club! :lol: :twothumbsup: Hope it helps!

Last edited:

Derek

I'm definitely glad to see it running...that's awesome! It's always great to see a new toy come to life, lol. As several of us have mentioned already...definitely tighten up those blade grips. I'm pretty sure on a heli of that size, the blade grips should be pretty tight with equal pressure on both grips. You mentioned that this heli scares the crap out of you. I can imagine that it does, lol. I'm still getting use to my Trex 500 and it scares me, lol....but it's such a rush!!! Good luck buddy!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm definitely glad to see it running...that's awesome! It's always great to see a new toy come to life, lol. As several of us have mentioned already...definitely tighten up those blade grips. I'm pretty sure on a heli of that size, the blade grips should be pretty tight with equal pressure on both grips. You mentioned that this heli scares the crap out of you. I can imagine that it does, lol. I'm still getting use to my Trex 500 and it scares me, lol....but it's such a rush!!! Good luck buddy!!!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Boki I thought that too.. But as far as we know, he is just setting it up still.. Not done.. Second thing.. right around the end of the video, see that the smoke that was going up (because of the negative pitch) starts to settle down and come down, until he apparently pulled the stick down again and it went back up and then stopped. I watched that video a lot of times thinking the same thing.. That was my first impression too.. But I dont think thats a problem right now. Ofcourse.. i think as I read before.. he has ben flying helis..

I owuldnt discount that fact :D

But .. yes if they are reversed.. put them back to where they are supposed to be :)

- - - Updated - - -

Boki I thought that too.. But as far as we know, he is just setting it up still.. Not done.. Second thing.. right around the end of the video, see that the smoke that was going up (because of the negative pitch) starts to settle down and come down, until he apparently pulled the stick down again and it went back up and then stopped. I watched that video a lot of times thinking the same thing.. That was my first impression too.. But I dont think thats a problem right now. Ofcourse.. i think as I read before.. he has ben flying helis..

I owuldnt discount that fact :D

But .. yes if they are reversed.. put them back to where they are supposed to be :)

Top Bottom