600 Redline nitro engine tuning

kiwi_flyer

Hello, so the wife bought a nitro heli for me for christmas . Everything is setup ( I think ) but the engine is being a arse. Managed to get it to idle but give it a little throttle and it dies. Theres only one ( that I can see ) tuneing needle and no matter how much I muck around with that it doesnt help. The engine was second hand. The guy the wife bought it of haddnt used it for 6 months or so and ran 15% nitro through it. Could the problem be the fact im using 20%? Also it put the ****s up me as it was idleing then all of a sudden it had full revs, abit of smoke ( witch I understand is normal ) and fuel started spweing out of the muffler, but it was thick looking. Should of stuck to electric ;) Any tuneing help or links to other threads would be appreciated. Will upload a video later today once I get the muffler back on
Regard's Steve

_MG_8732.jpg

_MG_8733.jpg

_MG_8734.jpg

_MG_8735.jpg

_MG_8736.jpg

_MG_8737.jpg

_MG_8738.jpg

wolfman76

Re: Redline nitro tuneing help

i have 2 nitro planes which are different from helis that are nitro but i am sure not too much in way they run but to me i would think you should run same fuel the guy she got it from run through it mainly i guess because that it was the engine is use to so should stay with that might be wrong though... Second thing considering it was secondhand i would recomend a complete tear down of the heli in order to check bearing clean out the engine check clutch bearing one way bearings ect ect ect better to do this cuz you don't know how well the guy maintained the heli better to be SAFE THEN SORRY if you know what i mean... it is a shame tony has not posted the rc-help heli videos yet of the T-REX 600 nitro the site has just aquired i am sure they would be very informative for you TONY'S VIDEOS ARE TOP NOTCH!!!! hope this lil bit helps you and that is a very nice heli hope to get me a nitro heli one day also...

kiwi_flyer

Re: Redline nitro tuneing help

Hi there, thank's for the quick reply. The heli itself was new and it had been put togeather as it should be. The head had also been stripped apart and checked before being put pack togeather. Ill go pick up some 15% thismorning and see if that helps, im prob wrong but I was under the understanding you could go higher % nitro not lower?. Another question, do the nitro cars and helis use the same blend of nitro? The stuff I have now I used to run in my traxxis without a problem. It's a NZ blend, " nitrowitch " with Methanol, coolpower Synthetic lube and nitro

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
20percevt heli fuel??? If using plane fuel there is the first problem . Too low oil content for heli engine

I will move this thread to 600 helis. This is a 600 heli Aeolus 50 :) I am on of the mods here :)

Just yesterday at my field I started and idled a redline 53 for someone.. Good engines.

Like wolf man said

First thing you do is tear down and figure if bearings are good and piston ring is in good condition if its a ringed engine.

I have been flying nitro helis for over a year. Helping out people here.. Hope to get you in air soon bro! :)

Good heli.. Similar to the outrage design

:)

Also.. See how far open your tuning needle is .. Keep it at factory and then try. If not, lean it just a wee bit.. This is usually when engine is too rich..

But first .. Only use heli fuel.. Those field have 21+ percent of oil content..

30 percent fuel is best.. But 15 or whatever should work for now .. :)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Last edited:

wolfman76

i would go with what gaba says he knows more then me i am still learning and only have nitro planes gaba is the guru around here he knows his stuff... as far as being a new heli that is all well and good but seeing as someone else set it up it always best to recheck and setup yourself because yo trust yourself more then anyone else right??? is why i said a complete tear down always a good idea in new rc anything...

kiwi_flyer

Guess I better get started with the stripdown :), what better way to spend a week of work anyway, im sure the mrs can mow the lawns :wink: . Have just orderd some Hobby Hangar (fuel), hopefully that solves the prob. Will keep you all up to date with how I get on. Cheers dudes

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Sorry that you are paying that price for fuel bro!

Normal fuel prices here in the US are 33 USD for 30percent fuel 1gallon (3.8lts)
See if you can order from websites like Curtis Youngblood or power master and have then ship you a crate of 6 or 8 and might end up being much cheaper than this

Last edited:

kiwi_flyer

lol yeah ****s expensive here, the 20% I orginally bought was $39 per ltr. I will look into ordering from over seas, just with the holidays ect I thought id better get what I can on it's way for now so atleast I can have some fun :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
lol yeah ****s expensive here, the 20% I orginally bought was $39 per ltr. I will look into ordering from over seas, just with the holidays ect I thought id better get what I can on it's way for now so atleast I can have some fun :)

39 a litre or gallon? If its a litre than man!!! Wow! Lol ;)

Either waz you have fuel now... :) or will have it soon. Excited to help you get in the air .

Have you flown helis before?

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I am not shure about this, but, it you do not have a muffler on the engin, get one! That alone might be your problem. Not enough back pressure for the motor to run right! In did not see a muffler in the pics!

kiwi_flyer

$39 NZD per ltr, thats from the one and only local hobby store, I can get it cheaper like I have just now but was excited so just went down to the local store. This will be my first nitro but have been flying electric helis for a while, started with a trex450 that cost me $1300 RTF and 2 hours driving each way to pickup. That ended really horribly, I thought helis would be just like planes, hell was I wrong so after that expensive mistake I went to coax helis, esky lama ect, then a belt cp, then came the KDS 450, then the HK500 both of them I still have and fly. Wanted a trex700 but the price of them over here made the wife have a fit. She managed to pick up the nitro for $600 including shipping witch believe it or not is cheap over here. This will also be my first flybarless heli, and being the first in the local club with not only a nitro but flybarless heli should be interesting :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey there, I do have a muffler, it was off in the pic just so I could seal it up again so I new that wasnt a problem :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
What muffler is it.. I am sure you had that on the Evans when you started it right? :)

Tony

Staff member
As gaba stated, do not use the same fuel that you used in a Traxxas truck. Those are only 12% oil and you need 21%+ as gaba stated. Plane oil is not good either. When you rev these things up, you should have a bunch of smoke coming out. Check out Gaba's videos to see just how much.

And gaba, I can't believe you missed this. Where is the fan ducting on this heli? The fan that is on the engine should have some ducting going down over the head. If you dont' have this, the engine will over heat with no air flow. Below you can see the duct on my 600 nitro.

attachment.php

IMG_0945.JPG

kiwi_flyer

Couldnt help myself before I pulled it down, Cranked it over and it started but the throttle servo seems to be opening and closing itself? As for the ducting, when I took the motor out to check everything I ended up breaking it so have a replacement on the way :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for posting that it was moderated. I have approved it.

And good deal about teh ducting. Make sure not to run it very long until you get it on there. the smoke that was in that video seems to be okay.

BOKI

Nice looking heli hope you can get the motor running OK! Someone here should be able to help you! :lol: :twothumbsup:

kiwi_flyer

Thats cool I understand :) . Do you have any ideas why its reving on its own?? Think im going to pull a all nighter to get it stripped down
Thanks for posting that it was moderated. I have approved it.

And good deal about teh ducting. Make sure not to run it very long until you get it on there. the smoke that was in that video seems to be okay.

BOKI

Thanks for the pictures & maybe you have a bad servo! The new motor should solve the problem! The Best with your heli! :lol: :twothumbsup:

Tony

Staff member
I thought there was someone on the Tx in the background. Missed that part in the post lol. I'm tired and it's late.

Did you have your Tx on? Is the Tx bound to the Rx? do you have a GOV on the heli?

Top Bottom