General Really Confused

Was setting up my Hk450pro, thought I had done it, minus working out gain settings, so I went out for my first spool up and see if I had done most of the set up right. First time the heli just wanted to pirouette even on the ground, I got some control, eventually gave up to work what I had done wrong. Worked out I had put the tail blades in backwards, so fixed that up checked a few other things n tried again.
Went out and it was doing the same thing! Checked servo direction again amd everything as it should be. It was then I noticed one of the tail blade grips working loose (after being loctited) and noticed that the shaft had also been bent. Would that still cause the thing to rotate like mad? Getting frustrated with this heli. Any hints and suggestions would be great. Have learnt heaps but now its driving me nuts!

Lee

99% sure you have you gyro comp set the wrong way. Use my gyro set up link in my signature below this post, and let me know if its right.
Also check your tail blades are spinning the right way. CCW when looking from the right.

Tony

Staff member
20:1 your gyro is reversed. Try reversing your gyro and try again.

You will need to replace the tail shaft as that will cause a horrible vibration that will throw off the gyro.

Make sure to take the tail and head apart and soak everything in alcohol (rubbing, can't waste the drinking :biggrin1:). Use a Q-Tip to clean out the threads and get all of the oil off the bolts and out of the feathering shaft and tail hub. Once that is done, and they are dry, dab a bit of thread lock on it and let it cure for about an hour or so.

On your tail, looking at the heli FROM the right side, the tail blades should be spinning counter clockwise. If you think about it, it will be picking up the tail if it were to hit the wall, not shove it down.

Let us know.

Edit: Lee wins this one hahaha. His link is great!

Being a belt drive the tube should be fine.
I'm going to cough up n get an align belt drive complete set up. Hk crap giving me thevyou know what's. I'm sure gryo had been set up right, but will go through it all again when the new rear end arrives. By the time I finish I shouldve just coughed up the extra n got the align or blade model I had been looking at.
Thanks guys, I'm not going to be defeated by this thing.
I might end up sticking to planes! Haha

Tony

Staff member
Planes are easier, but helis are more fun lol. It's a common oversight with the gyro reversed. Just make sure the tail blades are spinning in the correct direction and the blades are on the correct way and make sure the gyro is correcting in the right direction.

We are here to help with any issues. Just let us know what ti's doing. Video will help out a lot for us if you can.

Planes have just been where I've had an interest for many years. Always been keen on warbirds from the 1930s up to the mid 60s.
This heli is a stepping stone to scale birds. That's my interest but need to fly the things first!
When you say looking from the right how do mean?
If I look from the front or from behind, just don't want to get my rights confused haha

Tony

Staff member
Any time we say "right" or "left", we are speaking as if we were sitting in the heli flying it. The tail blades are sitting on the right side of the heli for example. Hope that makes sense. Sometimes hard to explain in text lol.

Tony

Staff member
You may get a little better idea in this video. You have to look fast, but you can see the blades, in this angle of the camera, are going clockwise (from the left of the heli). When setting up the belt in the tail, from perfectly straight looking from the front to the back of the tail, I believe you put 1/4 twist clockwise.

Align 450 Pro V2 AR7200BX Maiden Flight! - YouTube

Ok my tailblades are spinning in the opposite direction. Which when I get the new tail i'll fix that up. But in reality should it matter? In the end the direction of rotation of the tail shouldn't matter, as long as the blades are spinning in the right direction for create lift, and then the gyro is set up correctly to compentate, which i think in the case of my heli, needed to be done to the reverse of what you would normally do.
Just a thought, but i'd need to sit down and work it out looking at the heli, which i can't be bothered doing at the moment, as it's a cause of annoyance at the moment, but that's ok, for now, i'll get the new tail section and worry about it then

Tony

Staff member
Centrifugal force is what matters here. With them spinning in the correct direction, it's picking the tail up. If it's backwards, it's in reality spinning in the same direction as the main blades thus not being as efficient. Will it work? Yup. Just not that well. And all TT tails will spin as the 450 did in that video, such as my 600N

Ah ok well that does make sense then...
It's ok, I'll wait for the new belt unit to arrive and then I'll make sure I set it up properly and have everything operating in the right direction.
Just wish i had crashed the thing to warrant all the new parts for it....
Bent main shaft from new, burnt out servo, and then accidently stripped a gear from another servo, and of course they had to be on the collective pitch, and cos i really wanted to get the thing up and running this weekend, I had to get 3 new servos cos no one had another on the same!
Oh well.... such is the joy of flying

Top Bottom