Rc-Help's New Toys (Extended Version)

Tony

Staff member
I know, I know, I said I purchased two planes and you all want to know what the other plane is. Well, in this video, I show you! However, there are some things that I got wrong in teh video.

On the "OTHER" plane (lol), I called it a 91cc (OMG that thing is HUGE!)... I was wrong. Not only did I mean .91ci, but it's not a 91. I just took what I read off of the post and stuck it in the video. It's actually an OS Max .61 engine. And this thing has MASSIVE compression. Took me forever to get it to start.

So it's not a 91cc, it's a .61ci lmao. I was worn out.

As of this post, I'm repairing the wing on the "other" plane and I have cut off the bad parts of the decathlon fuse. The fuse is ready for new monokote, I just have to find where my stash is lmao.

The "other" plane, it's getting there. Need to find a set of retracts.

Anyway, here is the video!
Caution for mild language.
20150215 161401 - YouTube

Tony

Staff member
Scratch that, I called the Saito engine cc, it's actually ci and put a period in front of it lmao.

RandyDSok

Tony...

On the electric starter... try reversing the rubber starter cup 180°... it may fit that spinner on the Corsair if it's turned around but you won't know until you try it.

Tony

Staff member
Randy, you are exactly right and that is how I started it. That thing has so much compression that I have to spin the engine to TDC just so the starter has enough time to spin up to spin the engine. But once it starts, it sounds great. But yup, turning that rubber around was exactly what I had to do. I remember Pete Sinclair having to do that on his B-25.

so when are you going to start flying again?

RandyDSok

so when are you going to start flying again?

Can't say exactly... but I did re-up my AMA and have the card now at least.

I even looked at a 70" Sailplane fiberglass ARF the other day and almost clicked the buy button on it... ended up getting some upgrade parts for my home computer instead though... dang it, my sensible side kicked in :)

- - - Updated - - -

Correction... 79" Sailplane...

sailmaster8.jpg

Tony

Staff member
You? A sail plane? I just can't see it lmao. Do you have any plans of going back to corcs?

RandyDSok

Corc's.... maybe, they've ( the members ) been ignoring the smoking ban rule that was forced on them... haven't fully decided yet.

Sailplane's have always been a favorite of mine... the only issue is getting them in the air and that one has a motor on it. Unless it's been beat, the world speed record holder for an RC airplane is held by a sailplane at over 400mph ... no motor. Look up dynamic sailplane for more info about that part of the hobby...

Another advantage ( because we don't have the cliffs needed for dynamic flying here )... you can fly as long as your receiver and transmitter batteries can hold up... which is longer than I can probably stand to fly one.. :)

My Dad has a Hobie Hawk sailplane ( no longer being made ) that really changed my mind on sailplanes in general. His friend also had one and I got to see it flying in 60mph winds ( with one pound of lead strapped to it ) off of a cliff up by Geary OK.

A good sailplane can be as exciting or as lazy of a flyer as you want... and looks great doing both.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, the ban is being ignored. Hell, Pete still has the big ass stogie sticking out of his mouth when he is up there lmao. If you see a cop though, put it out quickly lmao. Same with vaping. But if you are hitting a dripper (me lmao), it's kind of hard to hide that cloud hahaha.

Tony

Staff member
Oh, and I have seen those planes hitting those insanely fast speeds. I'm happy with my 3D planes lmao. Even though I do not fly 3d lmao

RandyDSok

If I do get a sailplane at some point... I probably should budget in one of those lounge chairs so I can avoid getting a crick in my neck.... lmao

Tony

Staff member
hahaha. I'm thinking that with these nitros. I'm used to 5 minutes of flying. And from what I'm seeing, they can fly for up to 15 minutes lol.

Tony

Staff member
The wing in that one is a bit different, but the link you sent me to RCG is the exact plane that I have. I have sent an email to world models to see if I can get a replacement wing for this plane. I did get it started, and it runs great. Can't wait to get them in the air.

Tony

Staff member
Found the site you meant to link to and wow, they are proud of that wing lmao. Might just order a new kit. The wing alone is $130 and the cowl is $25. The whole damn plane is only $239 lol.

How did your P-51 crash? Plane fault, or dumb thumb?

murankar

Staff member
I am glad I found that ifo for ya, sorry about the wallet grabbing your backside while kicking and screaming.

RandyDSok

How did your P-51 crash? Plane fault, or dumb thumb?

Really dumb thumbed that one...

I was coming in for a landing from the north, about the time I came across the ditch on the south side of the road a gust hit me and rolled it to it's right.... instead of countering it... I continued the roll right into the back side of the slight rise on that side of the landing strip...

I've kept all of the parts just in case I felt like tackling it... but I suspect I'll just build up the Hyperion P-51D that I got on special a year or two later ( still new in the box )

WMP51_Gunfighter.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Had me worried there. This F4U crashed on the maiden, and I was wondering, since this is a chinese company, if the planes just don't fly well. I realize they are warbirds and have high wing loading, but sometimes, you build something and it just doesn't work. I guess we will find out when I get this one back in the air.

murankar

Staff member
That bird is prone to tip stalling if I am not mistaken. Maybe that's what happened. Maybe the pilot was not expecting a tip stall and lost some control.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom