Rc-Help's New Toys (Extended Version)

Tony

Staff member
I did some looking at the damage, and there is just no way it could have happened if everything was working correctly. The wing that still has the landing gear, has damage where the wing swoops back up in the rear. It hit the ground. I think the servo arm broke (as stated in the video) and that gear didn't come down. Causing the other landing gear to dig in and slam the other wing on the ground.

But you are right, all warbirds are prone to tip stalling if you go too slow. With these planes, you have to keep your speed up on landing and you have to have a really good roll out on take off.

RandyDSok

Mine actually flew pretty well considering I had added too much weight to it... I put it a big azz motor and had to counter weight it. I can't remember the details now... that was quite some time back. The only thing I didn't care for was how the folding LG worked... similar to the Corsair but folding in instead of the direction yours does.

Tony

Staff member
You know that the P-51 folded in towards the fuse, right? The Corsair folds back and thus needs to rotate the wheels to tuck them up in the wing.

And mine requires a .46, and I have a .61 on it. So it may be nose heavy and thus the reason he needed to keep so much speed to land which could have caused the crash. Will have to check the cog before the first flight.

RandyDSok

Tony... I said they folded in lmao

Mine was a 49" version that I don't find on the website now... suppose to have used a 3748-10 ( 770kv ) motor... I ended up putting a Turnigy Aerodrive 4250-650kv motor. While it was much bigger than needed, it allowed me to also use a bigger prop and it'd pull up until it was out of site had I let it.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, just ordered the retracts from that site. They are located in california. The retracts that I ordered from Tower Hobbies are now the right retracts. Not sure what I'm going to do with those since they are useless to me. Just hope these other retracts are the right ones.

As for the wing, I have looked at the pictures and the wings that they are showing have one locating pin in the front center. Mine has two. So that wing won't work. It's either rebuild this one, or rekit.

trainrider06

Well looks to me like you got a deal, with all that cool stuff you got but I'm probably a boarder line R/C hoarder...
Myself I've been tossing around tilting over to the planks, so I'd like to see some how to's on fixin em.
Although, maybe some organization and general clean up is in order in that shop huh...haha...
You know your wiring messes you hate to see? I have that with work spaces...lol
But thanks for the update on the plane stuff...entertaining video!
The thing I like about your video's is they are real...
Thanks Tony!

Tony

Staff member
What is it that you want to see on the planes? I have already fixed the wing in the f4u because I was not sure what needed dineand jjust wanted to get it done. But if you have some specific videos that you want to see, let me know. I might do one on repairing monokote if anyone wants to see it.

And yeah, that garage is driving me crazy with as dirty as it is. And you didn't see all of the crap behind the banner lol. I'm trying to find time to clean it but there are other things to get done before I do that. But it will get done.

trainrider06

I woulda like to have seen how you fixed the wing on that Corsair, but yeah mono coat would be interesting to see also.
Maybe a weight and balance instruction too. All of it would be informative for me though since I know not diddly squat about the wingers! Lol

Oh shoot I was just ribbin ya a bit on your shop....tell ya the truth I don't see how ya have time for anything with this site and all to do anything....they always say wanna find the best at what they do find the ones who's own stuff is a mess, because they are always busy fixin other people's messes! :)

Tony

Staff member
I will see what I can do to get another wing to show the repair. But who knows, I may crash this one lol. It's just been so long since I fixed a wing I wasn't sure if it was going to work.

I need to get some red and white monokote and when I do I will shoot a video on how to repair hangar rash.

Tony

Staff member
That is good news to know. I did already get the covering for the f4u, so that color is going to have to work for now.

trainrider06

I will see what I can do to get another wing to show the repair. But who knows, I may crash this one lol. It's just been so long since I fixed a wing I wasn't sure if it was going to work.

I need to get some red and white monokote and when I do I will shoot a video on how to repair hangar rash.
That'd be dandy! Thank ya Tony!

Top Bottom