Rc-Help Trainer IS BACK!!!

Tony

Staff member
That's right, the RCH Trainer has seen the sky once again! Thanks to Travis (RCD), I have a brand new motor on the trainer that pulls this plane around like it's nothing. I had to jump up in prop size just to take advantage of this added power.

I'm still using the 2200mah 3s battery and 3 9g plastic cheap servos. I'm still working on the CoG but I think the air foil I'm running has a lot to do with the way it's acting. I would just replace the wing, but I have way too many hours into that wing with all of the lights lol. Yes, I will be doing a night flight shortly.

The plane flys like it was never put up. adn when I say put up, I mean it. For over a year it has hung from the ceiling upside down. This has forced dihedral into the wings since they were unsupported. But, this makes for a crazy stable plane. Now I know what it would be like if I would have built it with dihedral lol.

I am working on the daddy to this plane as well, the Mini Telemaster. Again thanks to RCD I have a motor for that one as well. But, I need servos and another ESC to fly that one. I know I have the ESC somewhere for it, I just don't know where lol. But it will see the sky before too long.

So sit back and have a watch. The video is 15 minutes long but it's 4 videos put together over the course of a day. From the first flight with the new motor to the last flight where I run it until the battery died. All in all, it was about 8 hours of daylight but only about an hour of actual recording. But it was fun and that is what counts.

Remember, you can download this plane in the store. You have to have an account here on the forum to see the store however, but it's free to sign up, and it's free to download this plane! Full Specs Below!

Plans: Rc-Help Trainer Free Download
Motor: Alpha 450
ESC: Proton 30a
Battery: 2200mah 3s 35c (can use 20c if that is all you have)
Servos: 2 Dynam 9g plastic gears and one T-Pro 9g
Control Horns: Dubro

Hope you enjoy!

http://youtu.be/KQ1zdNRJXS0

murankar

Staff member
Nice flight, I got the pans already. I think it is the older version though. I would like to get my oldest son building this and flying it.

Tony

Staff member
If you got the plans since you were a member, you have the new plans with the down angle already in them. This plane wants to fly slow so the faster you go, the more lift the wing generated and the more it will climb. I'm going to play with a new wing sometime to see if it helps with this issue. I just hate to take off my night wing lol.

Tony

Staff member
It was pretty windy when I was flying that plane. If you want to see stable, watch the night flight. I moved the CoG to the front a little more and it was rock solid. Too bad I don't have a good place to land the thing lmao. but I think the warp in the wing had a bit to do with how the ailerons were acting, and why it hated the flaperons.

llommel

Tony, I built the RC Help trainer, I've crashed it about 4 times & it still flyable. What angle did you mount the motor to the right & down?
I have mine down & right about 1 degree.
It's been a good trainer for me.

Tony

Staff member
If you downloaded the plans the way they are now, then you already have some down angle built into the motor mount. I think I have about 3 degrees of down with no right angle.

I have crashed mine so many times that I have proven it's a tough plane lol. I am going to be playing around with some new wing designs to try and either simplify the build, or make a more aerobatic trainer.

the way the wing is made now is with a kFM 3 air foil. It's known as the "heavy lifting" wing. with that in mind, I figured it would be best for slow flight, and it's done very well in the tests I have done. I'm going to try the kfm4 to see if I can get a little more speed out of the plane with more agility as well as making some changes to the rudder for the reasons you saw in the video.

I would really like to see a video of you flying the trainer. I think Gaba was the only one to actually put it on video and he ended up smashing it into a poll lmao. I'm trying to get some more ideas on this plane and how it helps true "new" pilots. Any input I can get will help with future upgrades to teh plane.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
Nice video Tony! I like the sound of it flying! That natural dihedral is pretty awesome! lol

Tony

Staff member
Thanks Travis. Now you need to build one and get it on video of how it flies. And I think the "natural" dihedral actually hurt the plane more than it helped. There is a warp in the ailerons that caused a small bind when moving, and they are not straight to the wing anymore. But I will be fixing that issue soon. Now get to building :D

llommel

So far I've crashed it into the trees twice, Once in the tall grass & once it got away & finally crashed in the neighbors grain field. I know what you mean when you say it needs a rudder.
Next time I get it out to fly I'll try to get some video.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, as stated in teh video, the rudder needs to be about an inch taller. When I build my next one, i will put a rudder servo on it and make the rudder control surface the same size as the elevator control surface just in case you were thinking about it. However, by using the 450 motor with a 12x6 prop, it works much better. Not only because of the increase in air movement, but you can gain more speed in a turn to keep air going over the tail. i will look forward to your video.

llommel

Sorry, no videos of the trainer yet. Put it another tree today. :grumpy: Took me 60 shots from my 223 rifle to shot the branch off to get it down from the tree.
Already mostly repaired. I took your advise Tony & raised the tail & put a rudder on it. Will give it another try when all glue is set.

Tony

Staff member
get video this time lol. I would have loved to see the ".223 recovery" lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, what motor/prop are you using on it?

llommel

I'm using an E-Pro 10 x 4.7 prop with Powerup 400 slowfly motor, 930KV.
Any suggestions are welcome.
10-4 on the "recovery" It brought the neighbor over to see what all the shooting was about.
He loves to shoot also so its no problem.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm using an E-Pro 10 x 4.7 prop with Powerup 400 slowfly motor, 930KV.
Any suggestions are welcome.
10-4 on the "recovery" It brought the neighbor over to see what all the shooting was about.
He loves to shoot also so its no problem.

Tony

Staff member
With a motor that low on kv, you can go to a 10x7 or 10x8 and should be safe. My 450 motor is even lower kv and I had to go up to a 12x6 as you saw in teh video and the plane woke up very well. I'm just interested in how it flies for you to see if I can give any pointers.

Top Bottom