Rc Heli Accident photo (Bodily injury warning)

wolfman76

Lol i saw that episode of cake boss the guy that sold them that heli should take a big portion of the blame he should have known they didn't know how to fly it by questions they were asking.... I mean come on you just know if some one had never even flown one by the uninformed questions they had to have been asking

BOKI

wolfman76 I think most people think that flying helicopters & airplanes is easy! Are good RC pilots make it look simple & it can be very dangerous though! The best Fly Safe :lol: :twothumbsup:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Now that we are at it .... I want to bring up something else.

By standers... Are not safe either. Doesn't matter if you are a Rc pilot or not.. Anytime you have a plane or heli flying in the vicinity ... PLEASE keep a close lookout all around you.. Keep your head on a swivel. It's not a joke .

Pilots : please, if you hear a kid behind you , around you... Suddenly feel like you are surrounded please get your heli or plane on the ground ASAP, see whats the crowd/ situation, and please warn everyone around you to be very careful before you go up again. I might sound overly cautious here but it's worth it.

At 114th Rc field where I fly sometimes, there was an event that happened just a couple months ago. A regular weekend of flying.. And all heli pilots.. All pretty well trained and pros... These guys were standing behind pilot lines.. Much behind them facing away from the flying area... A pilot's logo 600 got out of hand.. And next thing we knew was that heli went into that by standing pilot... The guy was knocked pretty badly. Carbon fibre blades spinning 2000 rpm means destruction of anything in the way.

The victim, was in a coma for 3 weeks and has lost sight from one eye, and is handicapped in the lower body almost no movement as the heli hit the spine.

Don't mean to be ugly here guys. But the truth is the truth. He was nice enough still not wanting to sue the pilot but AMA wouldn't reimburse anything till he sued the pilot. So you can imagine how much heart ache and physical pain it can cause. Please take this as an advice. It sure opened my eyes. And I fly very carefuly now.

It's not a made up story y'all. So please .. PLEASE be careful!

That's when I added my tag line ---->

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

BOKI

coolgasbi; I was at & airshow this summer a huge guy was working on his plane because it wouldn't start on the flight line! A plane went out of control & back 100 feet into this guys rear & he had his back to the airfield! The only thing that kept him from getting hurt is it hit him in his big rear! So I know it just takes seconds & a person can get hurt in a freak accident! Be Safe Fly Safe & be alert ! The guy never got hurt but he was really was shocked that he was hit! The best in safe flying & airshows! :lol: :twothumbsup: Stay Alert!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, it sucks when you have to sue a friend and fellow pilot, but if that is the only way to get anything out of it, then it is what it is. This is one reason I don't like flying around people. those that don't know these things are oblivious as to what can happen if a servo dies, a link pops off, something breaks and that sucker is coming towards you as fast as it can. Hit me, that's fine, I"m the one that was in control. But don't risk the safety of others.

Well put Gaba and such a true story.

Derek

I think you are definately right, BOKI! I remember before I flew my first heli, I was thinking, "Well, it can't be that hard to fly an rc heli!" WOW, was I wrong! My first heli flight was on a simulator, thankfully. I learned many lessons. Heli's are NOT like planes. Planes go up and down and forward and left and right. Heli's go every direction and you most certainly have to learn to hover in order to land without breaking something.

THEN...consider the heli blades. Just on my 500...the blades are carbon fiber, 38" from blade tip to blade tip, and spinning at an amazing 2200rmp.

I am very glad that I bought the simulator first. I practiced my orientations, hovering, slow curcuits, and landings on the sim for about 3 months before I bought my 500 and I'll be the first to say that I still don't know it all, lol.

Tony

Staff member
You are running a higher head speed than that on the 500. The 600's (which by the way are 55" across ;)) spin at 2200. I think the 500's are closer to 2800.

Lee

My 600 at full speed is doing 2300rpm. I just worked it out. Thats 340mph tip speed!!!! 60cm carbon blades doing 340mph is not something you want to joke with.

stokke

That's a horrible story Gaba. Why can't you tell a story were a RC Heli save someones life instead?

LOL

But seriously, I hope I never have to be near an RC related accident.

BOKI

I have a friend with a Synergy 90 & he is a good RC pilot but that 12 lb helicopter & huge blades can kill you or injure you very quick! So flying helicopters & airplanes be alert things go wrong fast! Be safe & be alert also! & have fun! :eek2:

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
That's a horrible story Gaba. Why can't you tell a story were a RC Heli save someones life instead?

LOL

But seriously, I hope I never have to be near an RC related accident.

Sorry man.. It's just horrible what happened..

On the bright side.. In Dubai.. Rc helis have saves many a lives

Fire department uses these rigged with fpv gear to assess situations , get reports if there are survivors and guide rescue ;)

Lockheed Martin here in the US is working with SMU on a full scale Rc / autonomous water bomb heli to help fire departments across the nation. Technology like this can definitely save lives ;).

Only if handled with care :)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Graham Lawrie

Ouch!! Very lucky, but a good reminder to fly safe fo me as a newbie. I burnt my finger tonight shorting + - trminals plugging battery in, no heat shrink on terminals as i forgot to put it on before i sodered it!!

zenmetsu

lol...

T-Rex 250: rotor diameter 460mm. (0.460m * π) * (5050 rev/min) * (1/60 min/sec) = 122m/sec... 273mph. I was actually more apprehensive of the 250 due to the head speed, but now I'm not so sure. Circumference matters, lol.

(0.97m * π) * (2800 rev/min) * (1/60 min/sec) = 142m/s = 317mph... plus extra inertia. Great, more reasons for me to get nervous with my 500. :)

wolfman76

ok i know this has been awhile since anyone has posted up on this thread but i just found this video and i had to without a doubt post it... this is a very serious hobby especially when it comes to heli's and in the video the take note that the injuries were made by a 450 heli and could have been deadly this guy was very lucky seeing as he also has a trex 600n and 600e... AS STATED BEFORE THIS VIDEO REALLY IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
That guy didn't have any fail safes setup. this is the reason I posted the failsafe video that I did on the DX8. He said it stopped responding. Well, if the failsafes were setup correctly, the motor would have stopped and it would have went to a slightly negative pitch which would have dropped the heli out of the air and not into his face. There is no excuse to not properly setup a heli.

Lee

Not responding could be something other than loosing signal. He could have stripped the servos, meaning he wouldn't have been in fail safe. Thats why Throttle hold must become an instinctive reaction for all you beginners out there.

Top Bottom