Rc Heli Accident photo (Bodily injury warning)

Adam

So i still consider myself a newbie and have had many flights and setups under my belt. Well the trex was crashed and the trainer last weekend. Then i crashed the hk 450 flat on it landing gear lol so i wanted to rebuild and check that one. So i got the trex repaired and maidened perfect. Worked on the Hk 450 rebuilt and setup time to maiden right. Dummy me and if you learn anything from this always always dont trust anything saying that this is what i did. After all setup with throttle hold on. Well i decided to take it outside to do a maiden and i have done this many times with power to the heli and throttle hold. Well when i went to set the heli down low and behold that safety switch was flipped i had one hell of a reaction time but lets just say that this hurts. Safety Safety Safety people.
20120825_182823-1.jpg
And yes i still maidened the heli and all is perfect but now cause of this bruising i cant get the trainer back together but i have both helis good to go and thats what matters. I hope this teaches some of us exactly how careful we should be.

20120825_182823-1.jpg

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Looks painfully Adam! Man never leave power hooked up on a heli or anything for that matter till you set it down and are ready to fly. Then and only then hook up the battery! You could have done even way more damage to yourself!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks painfully Adam! Man never leave power hooked up on a heli or anything for that matter till you set it down and are ready to fly. Then and only then hook up the battery! You could have done even way more damage to yourself!

stokke

Ouch!
Good you're posting this.
Great reminder to the rest of us that safety should always come first!

Hope it heals up nicely, Adam.

Adam

And yes i have always been cautious when operating these check everything twice tx and controls. But there are those times that i trust that throttle hold way too much and let me tell you that is for when you are in flight only people. I am fine this time its kind of like an archery injury of the bow hitting your forearm unbeleivable the hk has that much force.

murankar

Staff member
I had a very close call when I was doing my initial build. I was checking something with the heli like servo reversing or something cant remember. Anyhow I had a tx that had to be connected to the pc to be programed. I had throttle hold on and I accidentally reversed channel 3. My stick was in the down position and once I clicked the save button my heli just shot up into the ceiling and came crumbling down. My face was mere inches from the glass fiber blades.

Consider yourself lucky. Most people hit by a 450 need stitches or staples. I am glad thats all that happened. Be safe and happy flying.

Adam

oh i know i consider myself very lucky. If i didnt react fast enough it could have been ugly. I turned the heli so quick and hit the throttle hold at the same time and got struck in the forearm 3 times now thats some reaction it was the first strike that did the most damage though. This morning no swelling and is already healing but now the bruising is setting in.

wolfman76

i got lucky with my hk500gt i was checking sumthin on it on kitchen floor first mistake never happen again.. OUTSIDE OUTSIDE OUTSIDE!!!! well whatever it was i was checking did'nt realize swash was not leveled in idle up mode extreme newb mistake did not know if it is leveled in norm mode that you then have to level in idle up mode... Well don't remember what it was i did but i accidently hit idle up switch when i did hell quickly spooled up and flipped on its side both rotor blades hit front of the fridge and put 2 4-5" dents in it but not before tail blade and grip broke off and flew threw 15' hallway to the living room and somehow don't know how it did it made a turn round the corner of the wall and brushed my lady on her cheek let me tell you a night filled full of i am sorry i am sorry hun.. Tony i think i told you bout this....I now have a checklist for anything rc...

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Ouch man!! Be careful everyone! :) this hobby is not worth loosing an extremity .. Lol

Hey aren't you thankful it wasnt a 600 or a 700 lol

Lee

Yes everybody be careful. I saw a tv program called cake boss. They were doing a cake for a helicopter company and decided to try to teach themselves how to fly rc helis. They had a 450 on the table in the bakery surrounded by people when the idiot boss just started flipping switches to find out what does what. Heli went into 100% idle up and flew straight into one of the staff. luckily he wasn't badly hurt and they just started laughing. They had no idea how close they came to a nasty accident. 450 blades have a tip speed of 300mph. THEY ARE NOT TOYS!!!
Be Safe People :)

murankar

Staff member
Really and it took you two attempts to figure that out! moron! I loved how he thought he was going to fly that 450 in and land it on a cake, like it's that easy. Man I should be a pro then.

Adam

I remember my first coaxial even took awhile to fly

- - - Updated - - -

the funny thing about that video is the blades are the exact same ones I hit myself with

Tony

Staff member
I deleted the image due to being WAY too graphic for a family friendly website. Please read the rules of the forum before posting.

Derek

ok, now I have another reason to NOT watch that show. This is one of the dumbest things I've seen yet. The guy that got hit with the 450 blades is incredibly lucky.

Truth be told here....I was hit, on my right leg, this summer by the blades of an "out of control" MCPX. The MCPX is much smaller than a 450, yes, but even the headspeed of the MCPX was enough to give me a red mark for a few hours. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to get hit by the blades of a 450 and then have my friends laugh at me.

So...the moral of the story here is...if your career is based on making cakes.....just make cakes.

Tony

Staff member
:werd: lol. I know what they were thinking though. Same as we all have thought at one time or another. "flying heli's is easy, I gotz dis!!!". Then the truth comes out lmao.

Top Bottom