500 Raptor Titan X50 with Torque Tube

bweber

I have noticed that this forum seems to be primarily about electric helis and even planes. Tony I'm a huge f%an of electric but even a bigger fan of Nitro. I recently purchased a Titan X50. possibly one the best nitro's ever made. i do realize that this forum is for a lot of beginner's but i also see a lot of experienced pilots as well. it would be nice for those of us that have flown electric for a while and would like to move into nitro to get some help to those people as there are plenty of differences between the two. I myself say if you don't give at least one nitro a go you don't know what your missing. More about the X50 itself. The X50 is made by Thunder Tiger a name we are all familiar with. It has aluminum everything, the entire head is solid aluminum and the majority of the tail rotor is also aluminum with part available to add even more aluminum to the tail. Both the main and tail shafts are heat treated hardened stainless steel. 90% of the body including the main rotor blades and the tail boom are carbon fiber. The torque tube is and solid drive shaft geared from the main gear to the tail gears for virtually 0 power loss between the two. I could go on, but just Google the thing. Needless to say this is definitely one of those "not so cheap" heli's as it cost $600 for the Kit with the engine. Now i decided to upgrade from my cheap POS Hitec TX/RX and go with the Spekturm DX8 TX and the AR8000 RX because i had to purchased all of this for the first time that is another $400 or so. i also needed servo's and only digital will do for this one. Ended up getting the Spektrum H6010's for the 4 swash and throttle servo's and the H6040 for the tail. now I've never used Spektum servo's I'm hoping they work. the Build went great, no hang ups and very easy step by step manual. i have yet to install the radio and do a final set up on this heli, but i will be doing this very soon. Im hoping that withing this forum you guys can give me what it takes to dare get this thing in the air, because right now "YIKES"

Tony

Staff member
Back when I was racing at the local track, I was heavy into nitro. and I do agree that everyone should try nitro at least once. But, as you have stated in your thread, they are quite expensive, and you can get into electrics much cheaper. With that said though, i do agree with what you posted above. sounds like a great helicopter you have. Cant' wait to see some pics and videos of this thing.

bweber

so i guess after all that rambling the question really is was it worth the money, and is everything I'm putting into it (radio ect.) good enough for said heli? also i here that a 450 or 500 can be easier to fly compared to a 250 or 300. Is that true or does it all depend on you skill level?

Tony

Staff member
Well, the DX8 is one of the best Tx's you can get. I'm not sure either about the servos, but they should work. IMO, what you have invested is worth it. As for the size being more stable, bigger is always better. Small heli's are very twitchy and you need to be up on the sticks at all times. With the 500's or bigger, they are just so much more stable in the air. I really miss my 500 and wish I had it back.

bweber

thanks for the vote of confidence Tony really hope i can fly this thing. As for video and pics i will get something up in the next few days when i can a little more spare time lol.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
U'll fly it man. This is a 600 sized bird. Go to that thread, and you'll see my nitro birds and people helping me with them.

I have a jr vibe .50 and a century .50 ...

Thunder tiger x50 was somethig I was considering before I got myself a great deal on vibe! :) :)

Hope I can help you sometime... :)

I am still re building the engine of the vibe... I just rebuilt the engine of my century.. I use os 50 hyper engines and Curtis youngblood mp5 mufflers..

Last edited:

bweber

Here is a quick look at the Titan x50 . sorry about the audio and picture quality i recoded it with my phone because its the camera i have

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XKaTASngQEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bweber

well guys and gals the X50 build is finally finished all that's left is to fly. Can not wait to get this bird in the air. Unfortunately mother nature is a cruel person and it could be a few months before that happens i get to just sit and stare it until then.

bweber

Hey hows it going every one. So its been awhile and the X50 has yet to leave the ground. I know its sad but this summer went way to fast as I'm sure we can all agree on. I did how ever truly finish the build and it is truly flight ready, with one exception. The cooling fan for some UN-know reason becomes UN-screwed from the shaft of the engine and gets sucked into the cowling that directs the air back onto the engine. Almost like the threads to the whole thing should been reversed. I get the fan screwed on as tightly as i can then it seems like the quick snap of the starter initially hitting the engine pops the damn thing loose and as soon as the engine fires off the fan like i said un threads its self thus seizing the operation and killing the engine. I know what I'm going to do to fix this problem, but the question is should i have to fix it in the first place? Any one else ever see this happen?

Tony

Staff member
Sucks about not getting into the air. And are you using thread lock on the fan or is it plastic? And I would think you shouldn't have to do anything to keep it on. The engines spin counter clockwise so a right hand thread should stay put.

bweber

Hey guys. Just started Looking at this thing again now that I've some experience on other heli's i would like to get this one air born. I fired the engine and took it for its first spool up and seen that i have what i think is a pretty good vibration going. triple checked all the nuts and bolts i could find, rebalanced the blades and so on. They weight on the tail is merely for balance of the heli its self. Any suggestions would be appreciated YouTube

bweber

Sorry. Try this. <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qQgEIRvdp6c?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tony

Staff member
still private. You need to go into youtube and change it from private to public or unlisted. Unlested, only those with the link can see it. Make sure to click save.

bweber

Last time i hope<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qQgEIRvdp6c?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tony

Staff member
Success. Sorta lol.

To me, that looks a lot like your gyro gain is a bit too high. Have you taken it up into the air yet? If so, did it get worse? If so, then it's definitely your gain.

Also, make sure your tail boom supports are tight. I would loosen the clamp on the tail boom and slide it as far forward as you can, just ever so slightly lifting the tail boom, and tighten it down.

Also, make sure your blades are balanced and CG'd correctly. Hope this helps.

bweber

it did seem to get a little better once it got in the air. I'll try your suggestions and get another video of it in the air one i have a camera man. lol

Top Bottom