Quad QAV500 FPV Quad

Tony

Staff member
No, you will need to run a Rx tha tis compatible with your Tx. I would put one of the 6115's on it. Very light, and decent range. If you are going to do long range FPV, then put the AR6210 on there with satellite.

Lee

I will be using the Ar8000 that came with my DX8. I have the open pilot Coptercontrol that also allows you to use the Sat RX only if you want.
When todays stock is gone of the frames, it will be two weeks till the next batch is ready.

Lee

You are a lucky boy Sam. A lot of people were waiting for them to come into stock. I'm going crazy here waiting for my ESCs. i have everything for the quad and all my fpv gear, and i can't do jack with them till the ESCs arrive :(

Lee

There have been reports of pancake style motors stalling and cogging due to timing issues with certain Flashed ESCs.
So i decided to do a test with one kindly donated to me by Jose at Openpilot EU until mine arrive from customs.
And yes before you ask, i know the motor prop combo is spinning the wrong way. his was to stop it flying away while i held the camera and moved the TX stick :D

Last edited by a moderator:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
So what is it sapposed to do by stalling? Quit running? I ordered the esc from Them. They are 18a turnigy pluses. I'm just waiting for motors to be restocked to get them too.

Lee

You'll be fine with those ESCs. Its the various brands of SimonsK Flashed ESCs that on some pancake style motors (40mm Stators) have had problems stuttering with and losing timing with quick throttle adjustment. Glad to see our motors work really well. At a later date you could get your Plush escs flashed. This give a faster throttle response to the motors producing a vastly more stable quad.

Lee

Well guys,
I was that close to finishing this quad. Just doing the ESC calibration and getting everything talking to the Board. 1 motor calibrated,2 then 3 and pop WT??? 4th motor twitching and the smell of smoke. The 4th esc lost its magic smoke :(
So its gonna be a few more days before this sees the light of day. At least Jose at the Open Pilot European store stands by his gear. A replacement is already in the post to me. I have a tonne of photos to upload, but i'm waiting till i have finished everything.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ah to bad Lee. I saw the post and was hoping to see her in the air. I got my tx rx av today from tony. Can't believe how small they are! Now if only some of my other parts would get shipped! Lol. My fpv camra won't get shipped till Monday cause they're on vacation. It's coming from Austraila so it will take time getting to the USA. Oh well!

Lee

I hate waiting for the postman.
I spent a long time today trying to get the radio and RX to talk to the board with no luck. I was using my AR8000. Changed it to my old AR6200 and everything worked perfectly. Not sure what the issue is. I really want to put the telemetry on my quad

Tony

Staff member
Did you have the plugs the correct way Lee? From the 6200 to the 8000, the plugs are reversed I think.

Lee

Yep i got that. I will try binding it again once my replacement ESC arrives.

Lee

Yeh, I was so excited to finish it today :( and the weather looks great for flying over the next week.

Keith

Hi Lee,

I have a sort of jig that I put the motor and ESC on to check them before installation. Also use it to balance motors. I try to hide everything in the arms so they are hard to get at later. Testing one the other day and out popped the 'magic smoke'. Seemed to be a lot of it. Anyway tried a new ESC and nothing. The wires from the battery to ESC had shorted and burnt out, that's why so much smoke. The wires were insulated so had me stumped. May have got too hot and melted together... Glad the ESC was OK... Hope yours arrives soon, seems to have been a long time getting it together...

Listen.... is that the postie I hear...

Top Bottom