Quad QAV500 Build....

Tasajara

Got my props in today... they are a lot lighter than I thought they would be...

24 - QAV500.JPG

I added my current sensor this evening

23 - QAV500.JPG

And I tied in my TBS Core to the sensor.
I will try to get a few more things done Sat.

22 - QAV500.JPG

22 - QAV500.JPG

24 - QAV500.JPG

23 - QAV500.JPG

Tasajara

Thanks Guys,
I was going to finish it this weekend BUT>>>> the weather was too nice had to go fly .... :highly_amused:
I am going to work on it some this evening..... may be a few days... still taking my time, I want to get it all
laid out so not to have to come back and change anything... by bad placement of equipment.

Last edited:

Tasajara

Got my OSD/Switching power supply all wired up.
The OSD will power my VTX and FPV Camera along with the heads up display
Showing Voltage, Current, RSSI signal strength.

I like this setup because you don't have to
worry about an extra battery to power the FPV
equipment. And the switching power supply want
tend to put out much RF.

This is my TBS Core

25 - QAV500.JPG

Made all the connections for video, current sensor

26 - QAV500.JPG

This is it all connected up.

27 - QAV500.JPG

25 - QAV500.JPG

26 - QAV500.JPG

27 - QAV500.JPG

Lee

I like the TBS core system. I may have to get one. But too many toys and not enough $$$$$ :(

Tasajara

I hear ya.... that is why it has been 5+ months on getting started on this build...
I was not wanting to short cut the quality of any components I was using...

Tasajara

Got a little more done today...

Got the TBS core shielded with the TBS shield tin.

30 - QAV500.jpg

also got my UHF antenna mounted far on the back of my quad.
Help keep it away from the GPS and VTX I will mount later.

28 - QAV500.jpg29 - QAV500.jpg

30 - QAV500.jpg

28 - QAV500.jpg

29 - QAV500.jpg

Tasajara

Well put the QAV in the air today....Just did a little hovering in the backyard, it's Nice and smooth
even with the cheapo props. Tried out the auto leveling, heading hold and altitude hold, seems to do pretty good.
I still have to mount my GPS, VTX and my Camera in a frame I made.
I was using some cheapo props to test... Didn't have enough time to balance my Xoar props yet.
If I get time in the morning I will try to finish it up and take it on a maiden FPV flight.... Wooo Hoooo

32 - QAV500.jpg
31 - QAV500.jpg

32 - QAV500.jpg

31 - QAV500.jpg

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Looking good Craig! Finished mine this morning. I hope it's nice enough tomorrow to fly mine. I just have to calibrate the GPS when I take it outside.

Tasajara

Thanks.... It should be 75 deg Sunday and Sunny... I hope I get it all together by then...
I am going to Get an early start on finishing it up..

Tasajara

Got to fly my QAV today... Didn't have time to set up the GPS yet but it flew pretty good.
I will do a little fine tuning later this week..
Here are a few pics from today. I will try to get some better picture later...

35 - QAV500.jpg

34 - QAV500.jpg

33 - QAV500.jpg

33 - QAV500.jpg

34 - QAV500.jpg

35 - QAV500.jpg

Tony

Staff member
coating that antenna doesn't hurt the reception? Quad looks great. Love the wood props

Tasajara

Thanks.... Guys... The wood props were way lighter than I thought they would be....They fly nice...
But I am really wanting to try the Tiger Carbon MultiRotor props.... They are Sweeeeeeeet !!!!

Tony the Antenna came that way from IBCrazy, Alex Greve... It is one of his newest FPV antenna's Called "The Mad Mushroom"
Funny the one I got is blue to match my quad... LOL the new ones are black dipped.
I did a flight Sunday and I noticed the Mad Mushroom did do better than my skew planar aka clover leaf antenna I had been using.

Got to hook up the GPS this week ... but all in all flew pretty good. I will have to get use to the heavier quad.
My IFrame from BlueSky RC is much lighter.

I did get some better pics today....

36- QAV500.jpg
39- QAV500.jpg
37 - QAV500.jpg
38- QAV500.jpg

36- QAV500.jpg

37 - QAV500.jpg

38- QAV500.jpg

39- QAV500.jpg

Last edited:

Lee

Nice Craig,
I flew mine yesterday in the trees. Not sure i like the durability on the Xoars. My friend destroyed all four of his on nothing more than thick grass.

Stambo

I like the look of these for space to mount everything. On my 450 X quad there is not much room.
I am actually toying with the idea of a simple wooden H quad "plank" as they have similar mounting room and I have most of the stuff lying around to build it. Then eventually one of these maybe.
I am still not completely happy with the way my 450 flies but I am beginning to think my ESC/motor combination may be a problem.
I have a friend who is building the same setup with different ESCs so it will be interesting to see the difference.
I may put some video up at some stage and ask for suggestions.

Lee

If you are using the Opto DJI ESCs my friend used them and didn't think they had very good speed for controlling the motors. Just felt sluggish compared to his tiger ESCs.

Stambo

Top Bottom