Quad QAV 500 Build Thread

Lee

Just like helicopters, i use the blue thread lock on all metal to metal screws. So all frame screws except the nylon locknut ones and the motor screws. Hoping to do my first FPV tomorrow. Its all set up and charged :D

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Cool. I just thought the less hard tread lock was used on these incase you had to split the frame to get at electronics. Ok that's what I'll do then still waiting for my motors to come in so I'm kind of stuck at the moment. Good luck with the fpv flight tomorrow!

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Not that I've ever seen. If you hit hard enough the arms will bend. The frame is a fixable carbon fiber.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
The QAV 500 is a top line machine. Designed to give the best quality videos and at the same time if you want a fast agile machine you can set it up that way. Of all the crash pictures I've seen the hardest crashes bent the aluminum arms. They are quit expensive to replace at $29 a piece. Also you may break a bobbin or two.

flye

Hi,from fpv manual:Frame Kit Materials – the materials of the kit are light and stiff black G10, milled aluminum, and custom aluminum spacers.

So what i would like to know is the thickness of theese plate

Lee

They are 1.5mm G10 ,Not carbon. Carbon is a bad material for FPV. It blocks the signal.

llommel

Great looking build, looks really neatly done, Lee.
I was thinking of building my own quad but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Need more info .
My question: Is there an optimum size for the frame measuring from motor to motor, meaning the length of the arm from end to end?
What is the best shape, "H" or "X" or other shape?

Lee

H is best for getting video without props in the picture. I built an H quad out of wood for about $6 not including Elecs. I also built a X quad using aluminium tubing. Both builds are in the Multirotor thread.
Some people are scared of building them, due to the misguided thought that they are complicated. All the frame needs is a centre platform for the Elecs and 4 arms for the motors. All you need can be bought at your local hardware store. With all the Multirotor specific electrics coming out, its super easy to build one in a couple of hours.
As for arm length. Shorter will make it more agile, longer more stable. The most common size is 450mm from motor to motor.
So i would suggest to build yourself a cheap scratch build quad, thrash it to death then buy a QAV500 or one of the quads from Hoverthings.
Good luck dude. Let me know if i can help.

flye

What are the lenght of quav500 arms?16 cms or something like that...

Last edited by a moderator:

flye

Good guess. They are 16cm from frame to end of arm with 4 cm going into the frame. So 20cm in total.

Thamks Lee so this mean probably 13 or 14 cms from frame to motor shaft......

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

Heres one.
post-1375-0-75723800-1345873221_thumb.jpg

Top Bottom