Quad QAV 500 Build Thread

Lee

I have another thread discussing this quad, but i wanted to do a separate build thread.
So here it is.

First look at whats in the box,

100_2617.jpg

The arms are machined aluminium. The quality is very good.

100_2618.jpg

The PCB to connect all the ESCs and FPV gear without needing miles of wiring.

100_2620.jpg

The Bobbins that separate the lower frame from the upper frame.
WARNING pre cut the thread into the nylon nuts using a 3M screw before attempting to use them on the bobbins. The bobbins can be damaged otherwise

100_2623.jpg

I went for the FM4008 motors from FPV Manuals that sell the frame. There are more expensive options but these looked good enough for what i want.

100_2619.jpg

First job was to mount the ESCs. Make sure you put the spacer on the board to get the right positioning for the escs

100_2644.jpg

100_2633.jpg

Putting the arms on.

100_2626.jpg

I braided all the wires, motors, esc/RX wires to reduce RF noise. This should help my FPV equipment work better.
Also I covered the wires, more for aesthetics than anything else.

100_2637.jpg

100_2640.jpg

Bottom section called the Dirty frame finished. All the moving vibration parts are in here, and the bobbins separate it from the upper section where the Control board and cameras are.

100_2638.jpg

100_2630.jpg

Starting to Program the Open Pilot CC Board

100_2645.jpg

I will finish the programming tomorrow and hope to get it airborne and tuned.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Looking great Lee. I only hope my build look has good! I noteist that you put the green covering on the side instead of the front. Won't that mess you up flying? Or do you have green props for the front?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh ps did you use the nylon washers that Tim talked about?

Tony

Staff member
Actually he put the red on the left, green on the right, it's the FAA standard for lights on the wings of aircraft. My Night Trainer is the same way.

Lee

Being a sailor i did the colours for Port and Starboard. The colours are so small you wont even notice for orientation. My props are the grey APC ones, but as i will mainly be doing FPV with this i don't need different colours for orientation.
I'm going to buy some nylon washers right now Sam :)

Lee

I did the maiden today. I did get some hat cam video but unfortunately none from the quad GoPro. Stupid me had it set on picture instead of video :( But i will be out again tomorrow so stay tuned.
It flew really well on the stock settings with the Open Pilot CC board. I have some settings to change from another pilots exact same set up, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Lee

All finished and ready for flight.

100_2648.JPG

The Open Pilot CC Board with protective case.

100_2649.JPG

100_2651.JPG

I added some little door stoppers to protect the frames base.

100_2652.JPG

100_2653.JPG

hal9000

That's one slick build there mate.

Just goes to prove that time spent thinking about how to run the wires and socking them make heaps of difference to the look of the craft. I don't know how many times I've looked at multirotors and thought that the wiring detracts from the look of the machine.

I think I need to go earn some money and get this frame. It's the best looking one I've seen so far.

murankar

Staff member
Yes this is one beautiful looking piece of machinery. I am thinking about the wire coverings myself. Will that help protect wires from C.F.? j.c. If so I would like to order some in black, so I can hide the wires better.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Man it's looking great Lee! My motors should be on the way Monday. So may be next week I can start dry assembling her. I'm still having trouble flashing my KK blackboard. I finally got the program to work. Now it keeps aborting the upload! Hmmmm! Oh well! I'll try again Sunday! Lol

Lee

Ok so i had the maiden flight today (video is uploading) All i can say is WOW!!!! this this is awesome. I tried flying it in Attitude mode but it was constantly fighting my inputs, so although i could fly it, it just wasn't what i wanted. Changed it to Rate mode and boy o boy what a machine. This thing flys on rails. No wobble goes exactly where i point it.
Just one downer, the motor shafts on 3 out of 4 motors have come loose. Lucky i spotted this before flying again. So Sam, when yours arrive, i would re-do the grub screw holding the bell to the shaft.
FPV kit will be going on next. :D

Lee

Ok heres a clip of the maiden flight. Enjoy it, there will be many more to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith

Nice Lee... I think you will be stood at that bus stop for quite a while before a bus comes along....

Tasajara

I like what you have done so far..... I have one thing to add, that may help out that is if you want to use one.
I bought a tripod mount for my GoPro which would let you bolt the camera case to the quad . They are $7 to $8
I found mine at B&H Photo.
GoPro Tripod Mount

Lee

Thanks for the link. But it will be coming out of its case tomorrow to make room for the FPV camera to sit next to it. I only used the case to get the CoG right with the heavy 3500mah 4S battery, but with the FPV gear it will balance without the case.

Lee

Apparently NASA are using this quad now for test the anti vibration equipment. Talking about NASA, there Mars rover is landing tomorrow. Cross your fingers.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Hi Lee. I was just wondering. Did you use lock tite on your build? And if you did what kind and where did you use it?

Top Bottom