500 protos 500 build.

danhampson

another beautiful day here, i think im going to take the 450 out later.
20130526_093312.jpg
as you can see she is really coming on.
things to do are as follows:
tail servo horn
fit boom supports
fit push rod
install motor
wire electronics and tidy (wire OCD i can feel it already)
setup head (level swash, set pitch, ect)
setup gyro
so much to do.....

20130526_093312.jpg

danhampson

ccpm setup done, all the servos going in the right direction (at last).
i had a bit of binding on the elev servo and found the thread on the ball was catching the servo cage, ive given it a rub down with some 240 grit wet and dry, now all is good.
next to level the swash.

Last edited:

danhampson

thanks anthony. just taken the head off to level the swash. popped my swash leveling tool on and hey presto its perfect no adjustment needed.

danhampson

well shes nearly done. all there is to do is to set the pitch, ive had a quick look at low mid and high.
low is off the scale (pitch gauge only goes to 12°)
mid is -3°
high is 12°
might do it today or maybe leave it until morning its not like im going to be able to fly her until my washout arms arrive (tuesday).

danhampson

i've noticed a problem when spin the head, with no belt tension the mainshaft and all spin free and when the belt has tension there is resistance.
The belt is tensioned as stated in the manual.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
i've noticed a problem when spin the head, with no belt tension the mainshaft and all spin free and when the belt has tension there is resistance.
The belt is tensioned as stated in the manual.

I have had that issue before, one of the rollers was not set in correctly, be sure they are all pushed in. also check if there is any binding in your tail assembly. If all is good and smooth then you may have your belt twisting in your shaft. speaking of belt make sure they are twisted in the correct orientation .

danhampson

the tail binds a tiny bit, it didnt bind untill bolted to the boom. but ive heard polishing the tail shaft can stop that binding.
i'll check the pulleys and strip the tail tomorrow

might polish the main shaft while ive got the stuff out

Last edited:

danhampson

ok i think i might of found the problems, The guide pulley in the tail was a bit on the tight side and it looks like ive put the boom on the wrong way round

danhampson

ok turned the boom around stripped and rebuilt the tail (super smooth), i gave the ail shaft a very light polish with some scotch bright and a cape cod metal finishing cloth.
All the pulleys were seated correctly and run freely.
The head is spinning more freely than before but it does seem to slow down quite quickly

Last edited by a moderator:

callsign4223

Staff member
You still have some binding in there somewhere, that head should spin a lot freer than that. You might try taking the tail belt off to isolate the problem to the tail or the main shaft.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
If this is a brand new kit then you have to let it all wear in a bit with the belt driven system ESP this with belt from pinion to tail

How tight is your belt. Might just be a belt too tight or something

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

danhampson

You still have some binding in there somewhere, that head should spin a lot freer than that. You might try taking the tail belt off to isolate the problem to the tail or the main shaft.
ive been through every part of the drive train and all is running free without the belt.

i did think that was possible Gaba. The tension on the belt is about 3mm play, the manual states there should be 2-3mm play in the belt front and back.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Then I wouldn't stress on it too much until the thing makes too much vibration in flight or makes noise.

Let it all break in

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

danhampson

cheers Gaba youve put my mind to rest, i should have my washout arms tomorrow so ill be able to set the pitch and start bench testing.

Ken Jackson

Will loosen up once you fly it some. Looks good to me.
Ken

- - - Updated - - -

That's why I gave up on belt drives, TT is just too smooth and no guessing at proper tension or it changing on you.

Tony

Staff member
Also, make sure the belt is not twisted on it's self. You should feel a ratchet feel when spinning the head, but sometimes this doesn't happen. If your tension is correct, and the bearings all spin free, then just take it out and fly it. A belt will not rotate like a TT tail. My 600 will keep spinning for hours whereas my 450 is just like yours.

Top Bottom