Quad Problems setting up a homebuilt quad (cc3d, Afro ESC, Diatone frame)

Stambo

You have tried running all the motor/ESC combos straight from the throttle channel on the RX right?

I tried running each of the motors from channel 4 and they all functioned ok. Which gave me an idea. If i go through a calibration process for each esc, but only have them plugged into channel 4 (ie. NW into ch4, calibrate, then NE into ch4, calibrate etc) what would be the implications of that? I assume that when i then plug all the motors into the correct channels and manipulate the levels in the input tab of librepilot i will be running as system as close to fully callibrated as i can get

Stambo

Just a thought, is the minimum throttle set up properly in the FC.
If there is a very slight difference between the outputs it may not allow the other ESCs to initialize.

I think it is - unfortunately I had to leave my baby at the office this evening, so no chance to work on it this evening :) How could I check it? Apologies for the n00b questions - I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually!

I went for a cc3d again, but mainly because i wanted to see if the issue was the original board. If this one does the same thing then i can assume it is an issue elsewhere in the system, but if i got a naze then it's another variable to consider

ok, status report! plugged in the new cc3d board I got through - all the ESC turn green, no beeping! However, I now have to try and connect the board to openpilot and it doesn't have a usb port. I assume I connect via bluetooth so am just trying to sort that bit then I should be getting there.

well, the reason it doesn't have a usb socket is because it seems to have been damaged before sending - but this does mean that when they send out a replacement it looks like I will be good to go :)

So! The replacement flightboardvfor the replacement arrived today (with attached usb port ;) ). Finally got time to connect up the esc and the rx. Plugged in the lipo and all esc boot normally! Will plug in via librepilot tomorrow and calibrate / setup tx rx and then hopefully to the skies!

Just one final note to the thread - it's all calibrated through librepilot now, all the rotors turn in the right directions (well, the rolled up kitchen roll until I fix the props tomorrow for the maiden flight ;) ), tx and rx are talking perfectly.

So, it's all working! thanks once again :)

smorrison047

Hello,

After watching your video, I see you are using Afro ESC's with I assume SimonK firmware. If so, I have recently learned that for those esc's with SimonK firmware, you should have the esc type set to pwm sync 490. Also, after calibrating the esc's you should power cycle the board. Additionally, you are waiting too long to hit the stop key when doing the esc calibration step in the setup process. You should hit "stop" immediately after all the esc's beep for the first time. It sounded like 1 or 2 of the esc's were in the second step of configuration when you hit the stop button.

I hope this helps as I am learning the CC3D, CC3D Revolution and CC3D Atom right now and am having an issue with the Revolution.

Scott

Hey there, thanks for replying :) i discovered in the end that my original theory of a dead board was correct. I grabbed a new board, plugged in and breezed through the setup. At some point i may try and root out the problem with the first board. What problems are you having with the rev?

Top Bottom