Paul's Flight Thread

pvolcko

I almost always fly with canopy. Only reason I didn't this time was because I was thinking I'd do some auto-rotation practice with the wind and all. In case I crashed I didn't want to have the canopy on. But the direction of the wind (in my face) and my limited flight area in the back yard didn't work well for into-the-wind approaches, so I just did a normal flight. Practicing flips and rolls and rainbows in the higher speed winds. Trying to keep them in place or correcting as needed without deliberate stops in the maneuvers. That all went fairly well. Timer beeped and was going to bring it in. Decided to do a little but of hover practice and was still toying with the notion of an auto-rotation from 30ft up or so when things went awry.

I have the parts on hand to fix it, I believe. I lost a set of edge 550 blades in it which I'm quite upset about. I love edge blades and they are out of biz now so no replacements. I have a set of AMain's store brand blades and I may also have a set of 550 cyclones? I know I bought 3 sets last time I crashed. Maybe it's just another set of stock revolutions. Will find out this weekend when I fix it up. Already have the TRex 700 on the bench and the Gob500 on deck for repairs. TRex 700 is ready for swash leveling and re-setup. Gob500 has all parts ready (except the replacement ESC that's in transit from Castle), so I could make that ready to go up pretty quickly. Of course the 550 is looking like blades and links only. Maybe I'll grab them from the work area and bring them up tonight to install.

Last edited:

Ken Jackson

I do do that sometimes, Lee. I'm aware of it. But even when I was being careful to keep centered or even when trying to counter the twist mid maneuver it was still doing it.

I do want to increase stick tension on my DX9 to help combat the thumb induced movements. But I'm pretty sure this was not totally explained by thumbing in some errant ail input. Even on hard collective (thumb off the cyclic) it will tend to angle a little bit. Either a peculiarity of this heli (550X), something in my setup, or just a normal interaction that can occur and the cyclic gain increase helped iron it out.

PLus, if this is tail down skid out tic tocs, I would expect my errant thumb input to actually twist it right ail, not left. Unless I'm over extending through the middle section of the cyclic, which would induce some left... USually I start off in a good middle position and I will end up thumbing a little right ail in at the extremes, when this occurs. The twisting I see is universally left ail.

Better late then never Paul. I missed all this. Looked more to me like you were already off getting into the invert and it just followed through the move. Just my thought. I know I have days I add stick I'd swear I didn't.

Top Bottom