Paul's Flight Thread

pvolcko

It was cool. And some very talented pilots flying them too (yours truly not included :) ).

Today I took the gob500 for a flight. All good up until I killed the pack and it went into lvc shutdown. Almost landed the auto. Broke a servo horn. Hoping that's it.

pvolcko

Flight from Sunday to test out the cyclic gain changes I made on the 550X.

[video=youtube_share;k34MDpaujoA]http://youtu.be/k34MDpaujoA[/video]

danhampson

I've been having the same sort of ail creep while doing hard cyclic manoeuvre's. I'll have a go at increasing my ail gain a couple of points and see if it helps.
Great flight mate loving those continuous flips.

Lee

I find on Aileron tic tocs, my thumb movement adds a bit of elevator just because of the angle.
A possibility is, as you pull back elevator is your tic toc your thumb movement is restricted and gives slight left aileron.
To counter this, I have to concentrate hard to make sure I only move the stick on the one axis.
Another thing I did was to add some dead band to cancel out my slight thumb error.

pvolcko

I do do that sometimes, Lee. I'm aware of it. But even when I was being careful to keep centered or even when trying to counter the twist mid maneuver it was still doing it.

I do want to increase stick tension on my DX9 to help combat the thumb induced movements. But I'm pretty sure this was not totally explained by thumbing in some errant ail input. Even on hard collective (thumb off the cyclic) it will tend to angle a little bit. Either a peculiarity of this heli (550X), something in my setup, or just a normal interaction that can occur and the cyclic gain increase helped iron it out.

PLus, if this is tail down skid out tic tocs, I would expect my errant thumb input to actually twist it right ail, not left. Unless I'm over extending through the middle section of the cyclic, which would induce some left... USually I start off in a good middle position and I will end up thumbing a little right ail in at the extremes, when this occurs. The twisting I see is universally left ail.

pvolcko

Ugh. Severely crashed the trex 700. Batteries, esc, boom, tt, tail and main blades, main gear, skids, canopy, probably shafts all over, probably a set of servo gears, and who knows what else...

Lee

Double OUCH!!!!
You and Graham are the winners today, for most destruction.

murankar

Staff member
Someone is getting a target bag award, lol. Shame yall are crashing and crashing big. Tis the hobby.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

stokke

Ugh. Severely crashed the trex 700. Batteries, esc, boom, tt, tail and main blades, main gear, skids, canopy, probably shafts all over, probably a set of servo gears, and who knows what else...

Ouch! That's gotta hurt :( What happened?

pvolcko

Sad thing is I wasn't even doing anything complicated. Simple forward flip to inverted push out. Not sure what happened. I think I Homer Simpsoned it and went positive collective instead of negative, after going over what I wanted to do in my head saying (flip, negative, flip, negative,...). Tail went in hard. Snapped it off right at the boom support block. Big divot in the ground.

Didn't have the heart to strip it down and figure out what I needed to buy last night.

It's going to be my most expensive crash ever, for sure. Guessing $600ish all told.

stokke

Sad thing is I wasn't even doing anything complicated. Simple forward flip to inverted push out. Not sure what happened. I think I Homer Simpsoned it and went positive collective instead of negative, after going over what I wanted to do in my head saying (flip, negative, flip, negative,...). Tail went in hard. Snapped it off right at the boom support block. Big divot in the ground.

Didn't have the heart to strip it down and figure out what I needed to buy last night.

It's going to be my most expensive crash ever, for sure. Guessing $600ish all told.

Sorry man :(

pvolcko

Ugh. Did a little bit of teardown. There are some stress cracks in the frames near the tail servo cutouts. I really do not want to have to replace them... Tail servo is grinding a bit, so need gears there. One ail servo is totally frozen, so hopefully all it needs is gears too. I already had a "possible" buy list going that added up to over $600. Bought two new turnigy packs to replace the ones that got damaged, $150. This is getting prohibitively expensive. This heli may be down for some time.

murankar

Staff member
That's why i love my 450s. A crash like that would set me back about $200 or $300 and that's with good blades. Unfortunately the bigger birds are more fun to fly.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

pvolcko

So 700 is getting stripped down. Tail faired better than I thought it would. I broke open the esc and replaced the throttle wire that got yanked apart. Otherwise it looked in good condition. Glued and screwed it back together. Will test it tomorrow. Hopefully it works and I save myself $180 for a new one. Also found I had a boom, tt, boom supports, main, feathering, and control arm shafts, and main blades (radix). So a bunch of money saved (for the moment) there. Still working out what I need to buy for replacement parts. Def a set of servo gears, skid pipe and struts, tail blades, main gear, tail control rod.

Graham Lawrie

Unlucky Paul:( My last one was expensive to:( still waiting for parts:(

Went to fly my 450 and the torque tube is bent:( realised I have next to no spares for the 450, shows how well it has flown:)

Big birds are expensive but flying them out weights that for me:)

pvolcko

Yeah, I was really starting to like flying that 700. IT was a great flight up to the crash. Nice controlled rainbows about 10 ft up flying across the field each way. Tic-tocs still needed work, but they seemed better on that big heli than the 500/550 size.

So I tested the ESC and motor, all seems good. I heard some rattling. Was thinking it was the external support bearing below the pinion, but took it out and cleaned it up and no notching or anything from it, so lubed it and put it back in. Noise got a little better. Ran the motor without the bearing block in below and it was noise free. So hoping it was just gunked up a bit.

Got the buy list done and ordered it up. I've blown mine and my wife's monthy fun budget. Thinking I gotta put some stuff on the block for sale to cover this. :)

pvolcko

Confirmed that I went hard positive collective in my 700 crash, because I almost did the same thing with my goblin 500 today! Luckily I started out higher and continued the flip instead of trying the push out finish, so it didn't tail dig the ground.

I did it correctly after that several times.

Speaking of which, got the g500 back in the air after the botched, forced auto-rotation landing a few days back. Servo horn replaced and swash releveled. Flying great.

Derek

It sounds like you've had some "real adventures", Paul! I'm glad to hear that the heli's are recovering!

Top Bottom