Paul's Flight Thread

pvolcko

So I've been keeping separate threads for each heli up to this point. It's getting a bit burdensome to keep track of the threads and flight counts on each and all that. Plus with all the flights separated out by heli it is a bit difficult to tell chronology and track overall progress. Soooooo.... new flight thread to bind them all. :)

First, some links to the old threads. I don't anticipate adding into them from this point on. I may in the event of a crash and needing to do a remaiden or some kind of setup thing that is heli specific. But in general all my new flight vids will be going up here.

Old threads: 550X Flights, TRex 700 Flights, Goblin 500 Flights, Goblin 700 Flights, 300X Flights

And now onto new business! :)

I'll probably end up dropping flight count from these. I've been having to fudge/guess numbers quite a bit anyway so they are practically meaningless outside of a general idea of flight count anyway. I'll move to using date stamps and per day flight numbers when needed.

5/22/2014 Flight 1 - TRex-700
[video=youtube_share;hfQEaNZHWVw]http://youtu.be/hfQEaNZHWVw[/video]

5/22/2014 Flight 2 - Blade 550X
[video=youtube_share;8pcqbXnSCa4]http://youtu.be/8pcqbXnSCa4[/video]

Working half-piro flips still. I believe they are improving once again. Tail down tictocs are improving. You'll see some I am going to nearly flat upright but only about 45 degree's inverted. I'm doing this on purpose, trying to figure out a problem I've been having with them where the heli will "creep" along a left ail roll progressively. HArd to tell if it is a setup issue or if I'm thumbing in some left ail while snapping front and back elevator. Most likely the later. Trying to keep an eye on it and train it out.

Otherwise some small controlled loops in various directions. Rainbows. etc. I'm still working on the setup for the 700. I like the roll and piro rates now. But I need to work on tail hold on collective hits. It's stepping out after I removed tail pre-comp settings. I'm wanting to see if I can work on I gain settings to keep it in line better without the heavy pre-comp setting I have been using.

550X is pretty locked in.

Last edited:

cml001

Werd! I like your idea.. I need to get back to logging flights. I was using a mobile app, but often forgot to plug in the data.. Need a better solution. Plus now I'll be saving ESC files. Do u use anything to keep track other than blog/thread post? Nice flights bud!

EyeStation

Got a little scary??? I was freaking out at 3:17 of the first video too. That 700 sounds mean.
The 550 looked and sounded good too.
Your timer sounds like the beginning of the tv show 24. I thought you were landing to pick up Jack Bauer.

pvolcko

Most flights do not get recorded or posted about. I just recently started using an app to track batteries (and through them flights), but its got some oddities to it I'm not too fond of (in particular the way it tracks cumulative charge on batteries, as if I'm interested in total charge over the life of the pack or something). I may write my own instead as a learning project. That or see if there is a better one out there.

murankar

Staff member
Which app are you currently on? I have rc log. I just found out I was doing something wrong in the app.

I too am only using it to track just a few things; things like flight time, battery cycles and total cost of the kit.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

pvolcko

Yeah, same here. RC Log. print out QR codes to tape to batteries.

The colored bars in the batteries screen show current charge state. It shows cycles, "loaded" and other info per battery too. My issue is that "loaded" ends up just climbing and climbing. Putting a flight on a pack doesn't remove anythign from that "loaded" value, it just accumulates total charge over the life of the pack. I guess it makes sense since cycles just increases too. Dividing gets you an avg charge amount. Just kind of useless info to me, though. Also don't like that the interface offers charge amount bar and whatnot in the charge screen. Would rather it just assumed full charge. Allow a default discharge setting. And track IR to tenths. I like the QR code feature. Very handy. Just wish i could tweak some other aspects of it.

Like I said, I need to do a mobile/tablet app project or two. This may be one of them.

murankar

Staff member
One thing I found out is when you track a post flight pack. On the screen you need to enter the mah left in the pack and the time flown. I just figured that part out.

Unless you charge the pack to get the correct mah you will never know exactly. So I need to go through all my packs and update that info.

I wish I could track ir, since I don't have have any meters it will stay blank.

pvolcko

Well. That's what I get for videoing to show off my mad skilz. Crashed it. Hard.

[video=youtube_share;uvTz1i15sHI]http://youtu.be/uvTz1i15sHI[/video]

I've done it a bunch of times before, but this time my brain went into stupid mode and pulled elevator instead of pushing like I wanted. Inverted, moving at a good clip, nose in, 2-3 feet off the deck and splat... Dumb thumbed it. Up till then it was going pretty well. Was having tic toc issues, but the half piro flips were looking pretty good.

Damage list: blades, boom, TT, couple links, main gear, bottom plate, skids, canopy, frame reinforcement piece on right side (not sure how it broke but the frame itself didn't), main rotor thrust bearings, top and middle main shaft bearings, tail control slider.

Amazingly the main and feathering shafts appear to be good. Need to look a bit closer at the head to make sure nothing bent. Also need to take it apart to clean it out. May be able to salvage the thrust bearings. Still need to take the tail apart to fully vet the damage. But front and rear gears looked good. Front spun well. Back gears are jammed up with dirt. Need to clean it all out before I can fully assess.

I have most of the parts, so far, on hand. Need to order canopy, some main shaft bearings (sick of replacing the whole block when all I need is the bearings), tail slider control, and I think that's it so far. They don't sell the frame reinforcements alone, so I'm going to either have to glue it back together or cut one out from some flat CF stock I have here.

cml001

Piro flips are getting cleaner bruh! Mine are so scary and sloppy.. Can't even call them a piro flip... Rarely do I feel it...but I'll get there.. Sorry to see her eat dirt.. But that was good flight up till then.. Fix it!

pvolcko

Have four parts on order. Canopy, tail slider control, main bearings, and main gear. Actually ordered more but those are the parts I didn't have on hand. Everything else is fixed. Feathering and main shaft were very slightly bent so replaced them. One set of main thrust bearings were practically ripped apart. Tail shaft was bent. It was a big crash. About $250 in parts to repair (with spares left over for some).

Lee

Ouch dude! That was a beauty of a crash.
But the rest of the flight was great. Piros are looking much better.

Tony

Staff member
OUCH!!!!!!!! Man that one made a thump when it went in. Hope to see it in the air again soon!

pvolcko

heh. Yeah. thump and a hop. :) Unfortunately the parts are going to take a week to get here (laid off so didn't spring for the fast shipping options). Luckily I have plenty of other helis to use until then. Hopefully the thumbs stop being dumb, though. Stuff's expensive.

EyeStation

Yessir, that is an expensive crash. Sorry to see.
There were a couple 'butt pucker' moments before she went in also. Got some big brass ones for flying that low, I give you lots of credit.

pvolcko

I wasn't nervous on anything except that one mini loop that came in a bit closer than I was expecting due to the wind gust. On the end there I was only nervous when the tail was kicked out a bit to the right. I corrected it, though, and thought it was all good. Like I said. I knew what I wanted to do, what I had to do to make it happen, etc. Thumb just pulled when it should have pushed. Going to do some inverted mini loops (a bit higher up for safety) to practice it and get rid of the nerves I know will be there next time I fly. Particularly because it will probably be with the Goblin 500 until I get the 550X repaired. :)

Derek

I just saw your recently flight/crash video, Paul! All those flips and piro's were looking good. Looked like a fun time...and then boom....ya just never get use to that sound. Sorry to see it go down like that.

murankar

Staff member
First thing i said was damn. That was not that expensive relatively speaking but when you laid off its costly. If I was to repair my protos mini I am looking at $240 and that's not including the blades.

pvolcko

Oy. Crashed the goblin 500 today. Another bouncer, inverted. This time on a poorly executed nose right half piro flip in poor light (just before 8pm on a cloudy day). Lost contrast against trees as it was falling and thought I had gotten it upright. Full positive pitch. It turned out it was just about perfectly level, but inverted. Thump... Amazingly it isn't damaged too badly. Tail blades are gone. Couple of servo horns shattered. Main gear separated from the hex hub (no stripping though?). That may be it. Main blades left a crop circle but they appear to be intact with no cracks. Boom got a small chip but that's it from the looks of it. Canopy is good. Tail stab is good. Skids. Amazing. Need to do some teardown to check shafts. Hoping I get away cheap on this one.

Top Bottom