250 Ordered a 300x today

xokia

I was debating between the mcpx BL and the 300x and at $300 I couldnt resist the 300x so I ordered one today from ultimate hobbies and will post up pictures when I recieve it.

I think they need to start a helicopters Anonymous cause this hobby is to addicting. I started all this in December and I already have 7 helicopters LOL!!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the club bro! lol. At one time, I had 10 helis from the mSR and mcpx, to the craptastic HK600GT and everything in between. If nothing else, fly the skids off that heli, then stuff that 7200BX in a flybarless bird. It's a great purchase no matter how you look at it.

xokia

Welcome to the club bro! lol. At one time, I had 10 helis from the mSR and mcpx, to the craptastic HK600GT and everything in between. If nothing else, fly the skids off that heli, then stuff that 7200BX in a flybarless bird. It's a great purchase no matter how you look at it.
That is what I was thinking. If I don't like the 300x and my upgrade to the 3GX for my 450 isn't to my liking I thought I might swap units then sell the 300x.

The wife bought me a coaxial helicopters back in December that you control with the iphone. so I get to blame her with each purchase. :)

Last edited:

Lee

LOL yep its worse than Crack. :D Same here for heli over kill. One month in and i had 7 helis as well. Now i have calmed down a bit and only have 3 helis, oh and 3 quads, oh and 5 planes :D My name is Lee and i have a problem :D

xokia

LOL yep its worse than Crack. :D Same here for heli over kill. One month in and i had 7 helis as well. Now i have calmed down a bit and only have 3 helis, oh and 3 quads, oh and 5 planes :D My name is Lee and i have a problem :D
Everyone else looks at me and thinks I'm nuts. I'm thankful to have a job were these purchases are no big deal otherwise I'd be in big trouble.

I think I will be down to 4 helicopters soon and maybe 3 if I get rid of the mcpx. Mcpx is getting a little boring to me.

Lee

This winter was a bit different. Normally we do go to other places. But my wife had a contract with a company here for one year. So we decided to stay here even though i would have no work. It will look good on her CV for future jobs to have worked for the company. So it just meant me being unemployed for 3 months so she has the chance of better opportunities in the future.
Anyway getting a bit of the topic. Lets see this 300X ASAP :D

xokia

I recieved the helicopter today. I got to say my first impressions aren't that great. To me it seems like a giant mcpx. It seems severly under powered. Just some hovering and pitch pumps I did the battery came down pretty warm. Warmer then any of my other batteries on my other helicopter. The 130x to me seems more responsive. Also I learned the ESC doesnt really warn you when you are near LVC. It just shut down and the dang thing just falls. Luckily I wasnt very far from the ground and just broke a blade grip. They are cheap plastic. There is no autorotating this thing since there is no one way bearing in the drive gear.

Maybe the stock batteries just suck, I'll get some more time this weekend to put some real flight time on it.

EA069D91-39D0-4FC4-9779-B4730EB255B1-90375-000018AEE8650CEC.jpg

Last edited:

Lee

Good to hear your first findings dude.
Blades seem to be releasing so many new helis in quick succession recently, that maybe there end products are suffering.
I hope that the new 550 is better quality. Its all well and good if a sub 300 size, 130X MCPX fails in mid air, but a 550 is a deadly machine of something fails.

xokia

Let me give this thing a fair shake this weekend before we draw any conclusion. I only have one battery for this thing the one that came with it and it doesnt seem to be up to the task for this helicopter. Its got the EC3 connectors on it which I am finding out I really dont like!! I am going to cut them off and solder the XT60's on there.

The dropping out of the sky part does suck but that's partially my fault for not having the timer set up correctly. When this thing starts to die you better be inches from the ground. It shuts off quickly when it reaches LVC and with no autorotation one way bearing its fighting to spin the motor as it slows down.

I only have one flight on the thing which was on my lunch break after unboxing, charging the remote, and setting up the remote. Build quality is what you would expect in a $300 helicopter of this size I suppose. If I paid $400 I would start to feel ripped off. The rotor blades stick much higher above the helicopter then normal FBL DFC helicopters. I priced some commonly crashed parts, main rotor blades, landing skids, blade grips, rudder blades, tail fin, and they are right there with the mcpx,130x. So pretty cheap, difference is just about any strike with the ground will result in broken parts with this helicopter. This thing is large enough that the extensive use of plastic parts starts to be questionable.

The charger that comes with it is absolutely worthless. I'm not even sure why they include it because they dont include a power source for it. It also only charges through the balance port at 1C.

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
That is what I was thinking. If I don't like the 300x and my upgrade to the 3GX for my 450 isn't to my liking I thought I might swap units then sell the 300x.

The wife bought me a coaxial helicopters back in December that you control with the iphone. so I get to blame her with each purchase. :)

What went wrong with the 3Gx?

You Don't Like the Ec3's? I love em .... only thing I trust to hang together in my 600 (Receiver Battery Pack)

Last edited:

xokia

What went wrong with the 3Gx?

You Don't Like the Ec3's? I love em .... only thing I trust to hang together in my 600 (Receiver Battery Pack)
Nothing went wrong with the 3GX I like mine so far. Everyone says the beastx is better and I've had no experience with the beastx up until now to say one way or another. So I figured worst case I would have a beastx controller.

Nope I really dont like the EC3's. You have to fight to get them together and fight to get them apart. I like the XT60's signifacantly more. This has been my first experience with the EC3's.

So I was able to actually put some flight time on it and my second time out is better then my first. The thing still "feels" cheap. But flys pretty decent. I chopped the EC3's off and put XT60's on there. I'm thinking maybe I didn't get the EC3's all the way plugged in the first time out since they are so dang hard to get together. Which probably caused the lack of power I experienced. No such problem this time out. Seems to be plenty peppy at 75% throttle.

People do a lot of comparison shopping between this helicopter and the 130x and they automatically pick this one over the 130x. Personally because I am still learning 3D I prefer the 130x. This helicopter doesn't take much of a strike to break something. Just about every strike with the ground is going to result in a lighter wallet. Even though the 130x is being a pain to me right now I still prefer it. The mcpx was great at learning orientation. The 130x is even a more significant training tool at learning 3D in my opinion. Many strikes with the ground result in little to no damage on the 130x.

One cheesy thing is the canopy nuts. You WILL lose them if you are not careful they pop right off the cheesy canopy
To fix the problem I used shoe goo on the back side of the canopy and now they no longer fall out when you're trying to put the canopy on.
IMG_0611_zps5d17a8c6.jpg

IMG_0612_zpsbc69cb69.jpg

blade 300x - YouTube

Last edited:

Lee

Funny you say the EC3 is hard to put together and take apart, and the XT60s aren't. I found it to be the other way around. :)

Top Bottom