OMG it FLIES my 450 FBL actually flies

Hey Guys

brilliant news, after my catastrophic crash in the garden and spending loads of time fixing and setting the gyro up the B450 flies great

i need to thank so many people on RCH for this, too many to mention, you all know who you are, so a HUGE thank you to each and everyone of you

im dedicating this FIRST REAL maiden and future flights to you guys.

before you watch this vid i need to tell you i was shaking like a leaf, the adrenaline rush was way OTT, i took 6 lipos with me yet didnt even get through ONE, too excited to fly anymore, so i brought her home in ONE piece...i drove 7 miles to this field as ive flown there before when it was FB, very safe, no one around and went alone.

the Heli does go out of frame on occasions but keep watching it comes back

oh i do say some naughty words on the vid, like Bl00dy and sh*t, but nothing more, i was too excited to control that TOOOO....lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek

Very nice job, Tony! What an awesome success story!!! I'm very very happy for you!!!

at the end of the video, I had to chuckle when you said that you were gonna take it back in one piece. It really makes you feel good to take your models home in one piece, lol. Very well done, Tony!!!

Very nice job, Tony! What an awesome success story!!! I'm very very happy for you!!!

at the end of the video, I had to chuckle when you said that you were gonna take it back in one piece. It really makes you feel good to take your models home in one piece, lol. Very well done, Tony!!!

Hi Derek, thanks mate

If it wasn't for you guys on here it would never have got off the ground, I'm so grateful for yours and many other members on here for their patience and guidance...

Haha yeah I was far too excited to do anymore flying..... But I've calmed down now and I'm off to the field again now, got the mrs this time as my cameraman.... Lol, feel much safer now, I've checked the heli out for anything loose etc and she's ready to go....

So catch you later with more vids.....

Thanks D

Derek

That's fantastic!!!! Two years ago, I was in the same position that you are in. Struggling. I found RCH and these guys just continued to help me..over and over. This forum isn't the largest forum on the internet, but this forum is the most helpful and supportive forum that I've found.

I look forward to seeing your next video, Tony! Have fun!!!

thanks guys, really appreciate all your support, im uploading another video now to youtube, unfortunately only got through one battery as the wind was just too much for my current skills to handle... it wouldnt have bothered you guys though... lol

i had a hard landing and all the cyclic servos were beyond their limits and then some!!!! i manually put them back to 90 degrees and powered up again it initialised ok and i spun it up but not airborne.... seems OK....nearly swore even MORE... haha, but Mrs stopped recording anyway, she knew...lol

it will be on here soon guys..

thanks everyone

your right eyestation, thats what i NEED now, some help with this ZYX-S gyro as i havent a clue what to do, at the moment everything is default other than the obvious servo/swash setup

EyeStation

My first occurrences of drifting were COG related. From there, the errors I noticed were the physical adjustments of swash links those last 1/2 turns. Finally into the gyro for servo recentering. I have not made any other adjustments within the ZXY to this point. Only transmitter adjustments to find "my" control zone. Just at that point of flying in windy conditions to make sure I understand how to correct. It'll be awhile before I have any feel for making Gyro adjustments.

heres my 2nd flight after repairs....video says it all i think

im going to take my home made landing pad next time, its a sheet of 12mm thick rubber, very heavy and about 800mm square..

i also think i lift off too quick, i keep remembering those words, dont touch cyclic till you airborne, and get it up quickly....(the heli)....lol

- - - Updated - - -

My first occurrences of drifting were COG related. From there, the errors I noticed were the physical adjustments of swash links those last 1/2 turns. Finally into the gyro for servo recentering. I have not made any other adjustments within the ZXY to this point. Only transmitter adjustments to find "my" control zone. Just at that point of flying in windy conditions to make sure I understand how to correct. It'll be awhile before I have any feel for making Gyro adjustments.

i did check the CoG after watching Lee's Video, some good info on here and youtube when you look...lol

i will re-check the swash today to make sure its spot on after those 2 flights... i cant fly today as the wind is getting worse...

thanks for tips

murankar

Staff member
Great flying tony. As fir the drift i dont have a clue on adjusting out the drift. I have a strong feeling its going to be in the advanced settings (P.I.D.). I was having the same issues with drift. I could not get the heli to sit still. Not saying it cant be done, i just could not get it locked in.

My advice is to start at soft 3d settings and go from there. Those settings should get you about perfect for gains.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Lee

Looks great Tony :thumbsup:
Def find a flatter place to take off from. I'd never launch from somewhere that deep in grass.
You do seem to punch it into the air a bit harsh.
Try letting it spool up a bit first and gently add collective. If it does start to tip, you can still punch it into the air as you are doing now.

Great flying tony. As fir the drift i dont have a clue on adjusting out the drift. I have a strong feeling its going to be in the advanced settings (P.I.D.). I was having the same issues with drift. I could not get the heli to sit still. Not saying it cant be done, i just could not get it locked in.

My advice is to start at soft 3d settings and go from there. Those settings should get you about perfect for gains.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Thanks Matthius, The zyx is already set for soft 3d, I just presumed it was the wind, it was really hard to control but kept quite level in the air, and the tracking looked perfect too...

- - - Updated - - -

Looks great Tony :thumbsup:
Def find a flatter place to take off from. I'd never launch from somewhere that deep in grass.
You do seem to punch it into the air a bit harsh.
Try letting it spool up a bit first and gently add collective. If it does start to tip, you can still punch it into the air as you are doing now.

Thanks for that Lee, yeah I'll have to find a better spot, or take my lawn mower... Lol... When I looked back at the vids it did look like it rocketed of the ground...lol, I'll try and be a little more careful next time, practice makes perfect... I'll get there, love that adrenaline rush though, mind you this morning there was a bit too much hence only a couple of minutes.

Derek

Outstanding Tony! Nicely done!!! I'm sure this has been a bit of a confidence booster for you. I'm very happy for you!!!

thanks Keith and Derek, yes its been great, took some advice earlier from Lee and ive been back out flying tonight, much slower take offs now, and a better surface to land on. its actually the carpark to that field, so ive gone through another 2 lipos, not much i know but im just getting the feel of the heli now, just more hovering, much different to the FB version, feels more responsive, sounds better, and battery seems to last longer...

ill post this video when its finished publishing.

im just going to keep this thread going with updates on my flight progress if thats OK with the Boss man....

Derek

two more lipos??? That's awesome!!! Great job, Tony! Just keep hovering around while you learn about the helicopter and the helicopter learns about you. I look forward to seeing your next video update. :chickendance:

hi everyone, hey Derek wait no longer. this vid took ages to upload to youtube... but its 11 minutes if hovering.... boring eh.... haha, today im going to practice landing and taking off...

Top Bottom