OMG it FLIES my 450 FBL actually flies

Well it's 7am on Sunday and I'm off flying, wind is low but it looks like rain soon...no camera woman coz she's still in bed... Kuh....

Just got back from flying, another vid being published on YouTube, can't believe it though, I took 6 lipos, perfect flying weather, no wind, no rain YET... But those dam midges were all over me...ruined a perfect morning. Anyway I managed to practice landings/ take offs... Done ok I think, I was going to start on orientation practice, but the midges got the better of me....lol. I'll take some repellant next time, got some good stuff from Scotland a few years back, and they know a thing or two about midges....

Graham Lawrie

Midge net Tony, that's what you need or skin so soft repellent. I also use stuff I got issued in the Marines, it kills everything:)

Midge net Tony, that's what you need or skin so soft repellent. I also use stuff I got issued in the Marines, it kills everything:)

Thanks Graham, I knew you Scottish folk would have the answer, I got a small spray can of it in fort William years ago, it was brilliant, it might have been Oban actually... The mrs has just said she's got some of that so soft stuff, is it Avon product.

Graham Lawrie

Yes Tony Avon:) we issue it at work to our engineers it works well, but midge net is the way to go:) Surprised you have midges in England?

Yes Tony Avon:) we issue it at work to our engineers it works well, but midge net is the way to go:) Surprised you have midges in England?

Brilliant, mrs has got some, so I'll be back up the field later... Oh yes we have them here, nothing like up Bonny Scotland though, especially the west coast... You can see the odd one fly past the camera on this next vid, but they were all over my face... Ok eBay it is for a net...lol

Thanks Graham.

Just bought a Camo hat with net for £4.99, it's from Lanark so should be ok..

Last edited:
this is flight #4 practice take off and landing

next up some orientation hopeless at this so im going to do some practising off camera

flight #5 is uploading to youtube, i have some serious probs with throttle, its super sensitive but not sure how to knock it down, dont think i can do this in TX only ZYX....HELP needed when you see the vid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek

Ummmm....what is a "midge"? lol.

As for your flight video Tony......YES YES YES!!!! Very well done!!! It's such an awesome feeling when the helicopter behaves, lol.

You were saying something about the throttle being sensitive. What are your throttle and pitch curves? Do you fly, at all, in Stunt Mode?

Ummmm....what is a "midge"? lol.

As for your flight video Tony......YES YES YES!!!! Very well done!!! It's such an awesome feeling when the helicopter behaves, lol.

You were saying something about the throttle being sensitive. What are your throttle and pitch curves? Do you fly, at all, in Stunt Mode?

Hi Derek

I have never flown in stunt mode yet (except on sim)... In fact my stunt settings are the same as normal ones in case I flick that switch unintentionally.. Think Lee suggested that, not sure..

Anyway

Pitch is.. 42.5, 46.0, 54.0, 75.0, 91.0

Throttle is.. 0, 40, 65, 65, 65

It was ok yesterday and early on this morning, just the last couple of flights during orientation...I've never changed those settings either. I did change dual rates from 100% down to 70% on aileron and elevator..

Ohhh a midge is a pesky little fly that bites, awful things. Ask Graham.... Haha...

Last edited:

Derek

Ok, I was asking about the curves because I thought that we had suggested a flat curve above mid stick. It has really helped me....immensely. Have the same curves in Stunt Modes isnt a bad idea...just in case you do accidentally flip the switch. Were you getting much wind gust? A sudden wind gust will make the helicopter "balloon" up a bit and if you aren't prepared for it, it can surprise you.

I'm just happy that you have gotten the helicopter airborne...several times, lol.

Ok, I was asking about the curves because I thought that we had suggested a flat curve above mid stick. It has really helped me....immensely. Have the same curves in Stunt Modes isnt a bad idea...just in case you do accidentally flip the switch. Were you getting much wind gust? A sudden wind gust will make the helicopter "balloon" up a bit and if you aren't prepared for it, it can surprise you.

I'm just happy that you have gotten the helicopter airborne...several times, lol.

No wind whatsoever Derek, which is why it's strange as yesterday it was very gusty yet the heli held it's altitude much easier.

I can't remember what your curves were...

Lee

Adjust your pitch curve to 50 at mid stick. That should reduce the pop into the air being so sudden.

Adjust your pitch curve to 50 at mid stick. That should reduce the pop into the air being so sudden.

Cheers Lee, I've just changed that..

Just come back from field, and the heli flies ok over Tarmac like it did yesterday, but flying low over long grass and the down draught must be having some strange effects. Take it up to 20-30 feet and it's ok, just catches the wind slightly..

I tried doing a circle up at that height it's hard....lol, so easy on the sim... I managed it but couldn't keep the momentum going so it kept stopping in mid flight... I'll get there, going to take loads of trips up the field, but I enjoy it so all good fun...

I'm not going to record ALL flights, but if I'm making some progress then I will so you's can see..

Thanks guys, I'll try that new setting in the morn Lee, around 7 ish..

Lee

Cool deal Tony.
If you are coming to a stop in the circuit, it could be that you are adding too much rudder.
Can't tell unless I see it.
I always video my flights with a head cam, but don't always publish them. Its just incase something happens, I have the evidence.
But 90% are just erased when I get home.

Cool deal Tony.
If you are coming to a stop in the circuit, it could be that you are adding too much rudder.
Can't tell unless I see it.
I always video my flights with a head cam, but don't always publish them. Its just incase something happens, I have the evidence.
But 90% are just erased when I get home.

Yeah I think I do give it too much rudder, I also try and give some aileron and elevator to keep it going and tip it slightly around the circle... I'm just going to try a lazy turn I think with rudder only.. Trying to run before I can walk... I can do it great on the sim, practised so many times on that...

I need to invest in a gopro I think, the mrs just won't get up at 7am....lol..

Derek

Yeah, I'd like to have a GoPro, too. I'm working on it, lol.

You mentioned that you didn't remember what my curves are set to.

my normal mode curves are:

Throttle: 0,35,70,70,70
Pitch: 46,48,50,75,100

I have my 450 and my 500 set this way, in normal mode, and I really like it. Using that throttle curve allows for a nice spool up and a constant head speed from mid stick to high stick. I really like it. Using that pitch curve allows me to control the helicopter with the linear pitch above mid stick, and it works very well for me, but then if I get into a panic situation and drop the throttle, the 46 and 48 numbers allow me to put the helicopter down without slamming the helicopter into the ground.

Many people are different and use different settings. It's just up to the pilot to try the settings and make adjustments accordingly. My settings might work two or three people I talk to but then there may be 10-15 other people that disagree.

Keep practicing, Tony! You're doing great!!!

Thanks Derek, I'm going to try those too today, I'm tempted to go out now. 06:30 but those midges are a nightmare...lol, I've ordered a net off eBay for future flights. I'll see how it goes. The SJ4000 camera looks good, and a fraction of the gopro price

Top Bottom