Scale OH-6A "Cayuse" (450 size)

danhampson

just a quick update started to fill the rear windows the picture gives a better idea of what the rear windows will look like.

IMG_20140303_150911.jpg

hopefully another quick skim and flat and that side should be done.

IMG_20140303_150911.jpg

danhampson

thought that i would put the mechanics in the fuse for a bit of fun and to get and idea of what mods if any have to be done to the fuse or heli.
IMG_20140303_182244.jpg
IMG_20140303_182259.jpg

so far the only mod that i can see needs doing is either the opening on the top of the dog house has to be enlarged to fit the anti rotation bracket or the anti rotation bracket has to go on a diet. At the moment i think that the anti rotation bracket diet is the best option as there is less risk involved, if its a bit rough most of it will be hidden away in the fuse.

IMG_20140303_182244.jpg

IMG_20140303_182259.jpg

Last edited:

danhampson

finished the filling and pinhole filling on the starboard side and done a first fill on the port side. Im hoping that my new rotary tool arrives today so that i can start work on the skids.
IMG_20140304_160252.jpg

The edge of the window is going to be trimmed with some black piping (im unsure of what im using for that yet) so im not too bothered about the finish on the edge of the window bottom, the starboard side is quite sharp, but at the moment the other side isnt as sharp, some more filler may resolve this though.

IMG_20140304_160252.jpg

Admiral

Looking good, following with interest, I have become bogged down in a couple of scale builds that are just sitting there, following your build may spark some life back into them.

danhampson

Looking good, following with interest, I have become bogged down in a couple of scale builds that are just sitting there, following your build may spark some life back into them.
I hope this give you the inspiration to resume your scale builds, im just finding it so much fun.
After finding out that the previously pictured m134 minigun was going to be too small so i ordered another one. this one is a die cast keyring and looks pretty good but weighs a whopping 40grams.

IMG_20140305_173925.jpg

The size of it is perfect but im unsure if it weighs too much. other than this im really struggling to find one that is too the right scale.

IMG_20140305_173925.jpg

Admiral

The size of it is perfect but im unsure if it weighs too much. other than this im really struggling to find one that is too the right scale.

Why not use it to make a mould to cast one or two out of a lighter material, some form of plastic or FG? Plenty of how too videos on Youtube.

Lee

You beat me to it Admiral :)
A simple plasticine mould should do the trick.

danhampson

You beat me to it Admiral :)
A simple plasticine mould should do the trick.
Just too late Lee I found a 1/16th scale terminator figure that has a m134, the quality looks awesome and the finish is perfect, it also has an ammo chain i can feed through the door opening for an even more scale look. The only problem with it is its coming from China so it will be 2-3 weeks before it arrives.
t2 M134.JPG

t2 M134.JPG

Last edited:

danhampson

started to work on the skids as the weather is too bad here to be outside using body filler.

IMG_20140306_161736.jpg

ive removed the foot step , filed the ridges off and shorted the skids to give the fuse the correct stance for an OH-6A. Ill post a picture of the fuse when the other two skids are completed and dry fitted to the fuse,

IMG_20140306_161736.jpg

danhampson

IMG_20140306_180434.jpg

Im pretty happy with the mod to the skids, the rear will sit a fraction lower when the skids are epoxied in as they are riding down a little bit because of the skid tubes. Ive not gone too low over all just to keep the tail blades well clear of the ground.

IMG_20140306_180434.jpg

danhampson

cheers kev. ive just epoxied the skids in place, i will try to get a shot if its gone off before i have to head to work.

philmill

Just too late Lee I found a 1/16th scale terminator figure that has a m134, the quality looks awesome and the finish is perfect, it also has an ammo chain i can feed through the door opening for an even more scale look. The only problem with it is its coming from China so it will be 2-3 weeks before it arrives.
View attachment 10753

Terminator looks good how about using him for the pilot , bit of cutting and chopping or maybe hanging out of the rear door with mini gun ????

danhampson

I had been thinking about it Phil i will have to see how much space ive got once the mechanics are in place.

IMG_20140306_192123.jpg

The angle of the boom in relation to the ground looks pretty good compared to my reference photos.
The weather report for tomorrow isnt too bad for the afternoon so im hoping to get the last of the filling done on the doors, cut the over sized exhaust off and a thin coat of primer all round. That will leave me in a position to start marking up for lights and rivets

IMG_20140306_192123.jpg

danhampson

ive managed to do a bit more filling and put a coat of primer on its starting to take shape.
IMG_20140307_163802.jpg
IMG_20140307_163818.jpg
IMG_20140307_163833.jpg

If yo look closely at the last shot there is a small hair line crack in the bottom left hand corner of the rear window, i think to sort this out i will just paint some 30 min epoxy over the crack and let capillary action do the rest and give a quick rub down to finish.
So far ive put about 14 hours work into the fuse (not including any time for mechanics) and im still quite a way off, its a good job i enjoy doing bodywork.
Tonight im going to work on some prototype winglets (housings for the port and starboard nav llights), if you look at the ref picture on page 1 you will see they are to the rear of the back door just infront of the bandits graphic.

IMG_20140307_163802.jpg

IMG_20140307_163818.jpg

IMG_20140307_163833.jpg

danhampson

rubbed down. i should have just primed the doors locally really and was not at all happy with the finish on the skids. so this morning i have painted the skids with epoxy and will rub down, and repeat until i have the desired finish can get h, bog (fill) the port back door. and may be prime if i get the skids finished today.

IMG_20140307_215026.jpg

I also got the 11t pinion and the last of the mechanical set up last night and am going to try to get the DIR set up done on the 3GX.
Just out of interest what software versions are you guys running on your 3GX's?

IMG_20140307_215026.jpg

Top Bottom