Off Topic Chit Chat

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Maybe I should stick to forza or nascar heat, because I suck at this iracing thing. Sure wish I could get my money back on it...

I never tried iracing but Forza 6 and nascar heat 4 is fun. I'm also enjoying F1 2019.

Tony

Staff member
eh, I just run out of talent when I have to turn the car.

And to continue the issues... I went to setup surround (Nvidia) and found out I could not move my task bar to the left screen where I like it, so I disabled surround. Well, when it was disabled, somehow it also killed my 4th monitor. I tried to reinstall the AMD drivers, and they would not install because I have a mapped network drive.... Stupidest thing I have ever seen..

Whatever, I'm back down to 3 monitors so if I stream iracing again, i will not be able to see the chat until I stop racing. Today... could have gone better...

RandyDSok

To move the taskbar... right click and select "Taskbar settings", you should find a taskbar location setting that allows you to select left, right, top, bottom. They moved the setting from a drag/drop method to this because people kept accidentally moving their taskbars without knowing what they did.

I can only think of things to check, that you ( Tony ), probably have already looked into... Power cord is plugged in good, if it uses an external PS, also check that it is putting out the voltage it is rated for.

Verify the monitor is actually dead by switching inputs from the video card and/or cables. You can verify the output on the video card this way also.

It doesn't make logical sense that disabling sound would somehow cause a surge that could take out a monitor... but I could see a display setting getting changed somehow through a glitch. So, going off of a display driver issue.... Download the lastest driver for your video card and then use DDU ( display driver uninstaller ) from safe mode to uninstall the current driver, restart and install the driver again... Hopefully that will allow you to resetup your monitor settings.

Tony

Staff member
I did everything you just said, all the options were there, Top, Left, Right, Bottom. However, ONLY left and right would work, and that puts it on the side of the screen. When it was on the bottom, it was on the center screen, and when I had Surround enabled, there is no option to select the primary display. It was completely broke with Surround on.

As for the GPU, it is powered only by PCIe. This is just a cheap card that is pushing an image to a 23" TV above my other monitors. So not a power issue unless it killed the PCIe power. And my other GPU (primary) is working fine, however it is externally powered.

As for downloading the driver for the video card, I did that as mentioned above. Since I have networked drives on my computer for the documents folder, it will not allow me to update the drivers. Thankfully, I tried to update and/or reinstall the driver rather than uninstalling it and reinstalling it. However, in that case I would know what the issue is at that time, but the underlying issue would still be there.

And to answer the next question, I don't have the space on my SSD to move all of my files back to the SSD. I could keep all of the video files and download files on a separate folder and just do generic on my computer, but that is a pain...

I just need a GPU that supports 4 monitors... Easier said than done since I'm broke as a joke...

RandyDSok

Having networked drives alone... would not cause it to block an update to the drivers... but if something had one of the files open ( even just an explorer window ) it could stop it from completing. Of course, you still need to do it as an administrator ( but you know that ).

To clarify ... DDU is a free utility that is recommended to be run in safe mode... So the drivers could be uninstalled since it would certainly be in an admin account that you'd run it.

Tony

Staff member
I will take a screen shot in a bit of the error if I get back in the office. I think I'm just going to do a clean install.

RandyDSok

Let me call you first to make sure we aren't getting our wires crossed... but I'm going to finish my supper first.

RandyDSok

Let me call you first to make sure we aren't getting our wires crossed... but I'm going to finish my supper first.

Since there was no answer... I'll assume your busy with other things. Just call when you have time and we can verify that we are or are not talking about the same things... Hopefully it will save you some time .

Tony

Staff member
Yea, I went out and made a meal for the wife and I and left the phone in the room. I'm back in the office now since the wife is going to sleep soon.

Here is the error. All drives are accessable, but this program is stating that it is not. Drives like appdata are still on the C: drive and are as they should be. I tried seeing what powering the system down would do, and it did nothing. 4th screen is just not there. Well, it is showing (second picture), but it has no values at all.

amd_mapped_drive_error.png

4th_monitor_fail.PNG

And no, I cannot click and drag monitor 4 anywhere. The other 3 I can do whatever I want to them.

RandyDSok

I had forgotten that you told me that you had moved your user data folder ( s ) over to a network drive. I was also unaware that you had a Radeon graphics card... I thought it was a nVidia GTX 1050 Ti

Tony

Staff member
My main graphics card is the 1050 ti. It is powering the 3 main displays. The Radeon was pretty much a free card, and since I can only run 3 monitors off the 1050 ti (with hdmi, DP and DVI!! lol), I had to use the other card for the 4th monitor to read chat. That is all I use it for... But, I guess no more...

RandyDSok

BTW... You can temporarily move your user folders back to the C: drive, leaving their contents on the other drive... perform the installation and the reverse the process....

.... I think, since there are some user files that shouldn't be moved... USER.DAT and NTUSER.DAT to be specific.

Fly-n-Low

Yea... that 3-2-1-1-2-3 thing??? I have it too!!!

What do you .... "folks" think about this???

Amazon product
With that I will post a pair.... Then my machine! Working towards an aircraft sim.

The suitable hard parts (yokes, rudder pedals, throttle quadrants, etc) are the key. Some are "cheesey" as hell. So I have to find a balance there.

RandyDSok

For monitor info and reviews... I highly recommend watching the vid's on Youtube from Hardware Unboxed... very thorough. If you go into their playlists, their monitor reviews have their own list to help with needing to scroll and search so much.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm by no means a computer geek but the prices for a monitor are not cheap. I my self use a TV's for monitors for my surveillance camera and my computers. I can get a real nice size TV for half the price and size of monitor. That's just me :).

RandyDSok

I'm by no means a computer geek but the prices for a monitor are not cheap. I my self use a TV's for monitors for my surveillance camera and my computers. I can get a real nice size TV for half the price and size of monitor. That's just me :).

There is certainly nothing wrong with using most TV's these days and the technology is starting to merge in some of the higher end models... but in the general market, there is still a big difference between what a TV can do and a monitor is capable of. I use a standard 40" 1080p TV for my own media PC and video streaming from services like Amazon Prime, Youtube, Twitch etc. In fact, when someone I follow on Twitch streams ( usually it's Tony but also a few others ), I'll have the stream setup full screen on the TV and then pop out the chat on my other PC's monitor so I can increase it's font size making it easier to read comments.

TV's ( in general ) still lack good color accuracy for production type of work or speed and high refresh rates for gaming. If you are going to look for color accuracy... you'd look towards an IPS type of monitor. On the gaming side, you'd likely be looking more towards a TN panel which isn't great for color but doesn't have ghosting and other artifact issues and has higher refresh rates. However, there has a been a lot of work on IPS technology and it's starting to reach speeds that gamers prefer. As with anything, if you want the better or best in these categories, you will need to pay the prices they bring.

Tony

Staff member
Latency is what most TV's suffer from that monitors can do better. Yes, some TV's do have a game mode which does reduce latency (the time between pushing a button and it reacting on the TV), but some of the good monitors out there have <1ms which is smokin fast. I know my TV in the living room has a game mode, but I have never really played any games on it lol.

Top Bottom