Off Topic Chit Chat

Eggy 71

IMG_1392.JPG Been busy at work, traveling coast to coast in Canada this month. A great sunset on Wed in Dawson Creek BC. Looked like a flare going off. Sunrise 9:30 am sunset 4:20 pm high of -20F

IMG_1392.JPG

leedude1

Gentlemen, I haven't been able to get to the birds lately..pretty busy..but wanted to take the time to wish you all the very best of holidays whatever it may consist of. I myself have only a few days off and will be working through most of it , but it is what it is. Take the time and appreciate what you have because there are all a lot more folk that have a hell of a lot less and we are all on borrowed time so to speak. Things can and regrettably do, at times, change quick so smile and let it shine folks.

May there be fewer crashes for you al (and me) in the new year.:biglaugh:

RandyDSok

Tony... did you verify that it was the actual pump that went out and not a dirty switch, clogged line going to the switch or possibly the air bag in the tank being low on pressure?

Some duck on a local neighborhood pond here in Norman...

DSC_1998-Edit-1_1024.jpg

DSC_1998-Edit-1_1024.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I have about had it with the united states postal service. Was supposed to receive a key piece in the mail today and they put down they did not have access to my 'facility'. Complete BS!!! It's no wonder why they are losing so much money, they don't do their damn jobs!!!! And because of them not doing their damn job, I can't do my damn job.

RandyDSok

Since I couldn't sleep... thought I'd add yet another Moon pic to the collection... ( like I needed another )... :D

DSC_2011-Edit-2-1_1024.jpg

DSC_2011-Edit-2-1_1024.jpg

Tony

Staff member
You should have took a picture when it just came over the horizon. Almost deep yellow and quite large. But, you live in the city lmao. Great shot though.

RandyDSok

You should have took a picture when it just came over the horizon. Almost deep yellow and quite large. But, you live in the city lmao. Great shot though.

I wasn't trying to go to sleep when it was just coming over the horizon... LMAO

I do need to get some with the Moon just coming up behind a tree or something... The tough part is also getting the tree ( or other whatever ) also in focus enough to look cool.

RandyDSok

I only use a 300mm lens ( actually it's a 55mm-300mm zoom... so zoomed all the way out ) then I crop in to the shot resulting in it making it look even larger. I suspect you'd even get a pretty good shot with a 200mm but not quite as much definition.

Last night while shooting the Moon ( no pun dang it ), I also grabbed a few shots of the Orion Nebula but I'd left my f-stop at f29 so they didn't show anything more than the stars by it. Had I done it right, I still didn't expect much since the noise level would have been pretty high. I had planned to take some pics of it tonight but the skies were overcast.

So I tonight I played around with the shot I got last Feb. I say shot... but really shots may be more accurate. To recap, I took about 100 2 second shots of the Nebula, then 30 more each of a dark set ( ie lens cap on ), a bias set and a grey set. All of these are used to reduce the noise level in a high ISO pic. Then the combined info is used to make a TIFF that you can do further post processing on to tease out the faint light. Even though the shot was only 2 seconds long, there are still just the start of trails on the stars since the lens is zoomed to 300mm... the more the magnification the more the objects appear to move across the field of view.

This time, since I've learned to post process a bit better... I was able to tease out more of the nebula and still keep the background relatively dark. To try to get the colors as accurate as possible ( since I don't have a telescope big enough to see the colors ), I had to compare to other pics I found on the web and process to match those as best I can. In this case I was primarily trying to match the reds ( actually magenta's more than likely ) and blues the most.

Autosave-Edit-2-1_1280.jpg

Autosave-Edit-2-1_1280.jpg

RandyDSok

The Orion Nebula - Jan. 20, 2017 taken in Norman Ok.

I think this is the final shot of the Orion Nebula for now. With tonight’s shot, I was able to tease out more of the nebula and I believe I got a bit more detail to show as well...

... Although, a friend of mine with an 8" telescope is trying to get me to use it for a shot. I'm sure it'd be much better than just my 55mm-300mm camera lens

OrionNebula_12800_0-6-Edit-1_lzn_a_1280.jpg

OrionNebula_12800_0-6-Edit-1_lzn_a_1280.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks Randy for sharing. I enjoy your pics but better yet, :warning: the wife enjoys your pics alot more! :biggrin-new:.

Top Bottom