General Nitro questions

Tony

Staff member
Yes, it's the same as an automatic glow starter. You just have to flip a switch on your Tx to activate it. And IMO, what they mean by hot start is starting an engine that is still hot. Those are harder to start than a cool engine, but once started, easier to keep running since it's up to temp. But, I may be thinking something totally different.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
That product seems pretty good. Cause the equivalent was switch glo. But it's more expensive. I don't know what difference in features

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

stokke

OK. The 450 is sold - well, a guy said he wanted it delivered this weekend anyways - so now I can start planning my new purchase!

Here's the shopping list:

• Starter
  • Starter shaft
  • Tail blades
  • Main blades
  • Helicopter (bare)
  • Auto Glow Starter
  • Aux Fuel Tank
  • Fuel pump (manual)
  • Motor
  • Muffler

These are things I'll have to source individually:

• Servos
  • DSMX Sat's
  • IKON
  • Fuel
  • Fuel filter
  • Rx Pack
  • Backplate sensor

Remember, I do not know nothing about Nitro. So what am I missing? Please double check :D

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Marius, have you made up your mind on a bird yet? If so, do you know eat comes in the kit? I kind of jumped the gun a little myself. When I started assembling my 700, I found that I bought double on some parts. They came in the kit. If I were you, I would get my bird first. Then see what's in the box. Then order the rest.

stokke

Marius, have you made up your mind on a bird yet? If so, do you know eat comes in the kit? I kind of jumped the gun a little myself. When I started assembling my 700, I found that I bought double on some parts. They came in the kit. If I were you, I would get my bird first. Then see what's in the box. Then order the rest.

Here's the kit I'm buyng (the site may be a bit slow atm). I've also read through the instruction manual on their web site, and it looks like there's nothing included but the bare helicopter, engine and muffler. I'm really eager to get started with this :D And everything I order from that site takes a week to deliver, so I do not want to make many orders. But the first batch on my list there; it's what I'm getting from Flying Hobby.

You see, to save money I am best off ordering outside Norway (and usually outside Europe as well), but this makes delivery that much longer. So if I want to fly this thing within a month, I'll have to start ordering :D

Thanks Sam ;)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
if you are buying the align starter, you get a shaft with it so you dont need to buy a seperate. Chekc if it comes with a battery.. it runs a 3S pack .. similar to what the 450 used.

Fuel filter (2 of them) ..

Order extra Fuel lines. You will need them. I recommend a temperature gauge.. like an IR temp gun.. but if you dont want it... its perfectly ok.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
see if you can find a pic of the backplate of the Gaui engine. I wanna make sure before you make an order that the spektrum backplate sensor will fit. The dimensions on screw are not an issue, but the free space inside the back plate for the haul effect sensor is what i wanna see. engines can differ a bit.. I am trying to find that too

stokke

Thanks Gaba. I have NO idea whatsoever if that sensor will fit, so I put my faith entirely on you that it will :D It's the OS 37 engine, or also known as the Gaui 37 engine.

About the fuel lines, are there many sizes to choose from? What are the pit falls when choosing fuel lines?

Tony

Staff member
Gaba, even if he has to use some shims, he can get the Hall Effect Sensor to fit. Yes, Hall, not Haul lol. I had to. There are some OS 50's that you need to shim to make work unless you get a custom bracket.

Stokke, each engine uses different size fuel line. On the 600's and 700's, we use 2.5mm x 4 or 5mm. Meaning 2.5 mm ID and 4 or 5 OD depending on your pressure setup. Muffler pressure, run the 4. Pump pressure, run the 5. But, on a 37, I'm not sure if they are going to use smaller tubing or not.

stokke

Gaba, even if he has to use some shims, he can get the Hall Effect Sensor to fit. Yes, Hall, not Haul lol. I had to. There are some OS 50's that you need to shim to make work unless you get a custom bracket.

Stokke, each engine uses different size fuel line. On the 600's and 700's, we use 2.5mm x 4 or 5mm. Meaning 2.5 mm ID and 4 or 5 OD depending on your pressure setup. Muffler pressure, run the 4. Pump pressure, run the 5. But, on a 37, I'm not sure if they are going to use smaller tubing or not.

I found it uses 5mm on the inside of the fueltank, and 5.5mm on the outside.

Does the glow plug come with the motor? Or do I have to get that separately?

Thanks Tony

Tony

Staff member
It should come with the motor. Most do anyway. But, it's a good idea to get a few extra. When they go out, it will ground a bird until you can get one.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Marius, I thought you might like to see what typical fuel line routing looks like. Here is the fuel system that I've installed on my 700. You can see the line at the top of the tank. Is has a one way valve installed in it. That's to prevent fuel from backing up into the motor, or muffler in your cast. This is the pressure line. It goes thru the frame to the other side and hooks up to the pressure feed for the system. My os 105 uses crankcase pressure to feed the tank. I believe your will go to your muffler. You take the line off the tank to vent it while fueling. When fuel runs out of the line the and is full then you replace the line into the system. The feed line going to the carburetor has the fuel filter in it. Then there is a u shaped line coming off the top of the filter hooked to a plug. You unplug the line and fuel the tank from there. I hope this explains how a typical fuel system works and is installed. You should get motor instruction manual with you bird. It should have a diagram in it for your particular system.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Good pics sam.

Just one thing: Marius you wont need that one way valve thing on your heli, as you are not using a regulated carb and crank pressure..

So yes you can use sam's pics as guide, but just eliminate that one way and that line from "top of the tank" will connect to a nipple on your muffler for muffler pressure :)

stokke

I was at the local field today flying. I got into talking to one of the other members who's also purchased the NX4, and he could tell me that the backplate sensor will NOT fit.

What do I do now? What GOV is compatible with the IKON?

Top Bottom