newbie from illinois

bvarney

hi everyone,
I'm new to the RC Heli sport, flown a few small heli's, a couple fixed wings and built a couple of my own fairly simple planes. I just purchased an Exceed G2 Heli w/ an Exceed OS. any tips, don't do's or comments are most welcome. I'm going o take tony's advise and follow the flight instruction school and start with a simulator before I try to wing this beast myself. I did some online reviewing of this set up and reviews were positive for this set up, although an upgrade to the main rotor and tail rotor assembly are probably my first upgrades. I'm pretty mechanically sound so setting up the upgrade should not be a bid issue. I'm looking forward to talking to all of you and any input is greatly appreciated.

Glad to be a part of your world!!!!

Regards,
Bruce

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the forum Bruce, that is some helicopter to start out on lol. But, if you have single rotor fixed pitch experience, you should be fine. I'm not up on all of the nitro stuff, But we are here to try and answer any questions you may have. just let us know.

bvarney

the Exceed G2 is an electric, brushless motor design, so i'm safe with you guy's lol. built on the same format as a walkera 36 (been doing my homework). I want to get into 3-d heli piloting, and plan for bigger better things in the future, but I'm a newbie in the sport, and want to do it right. I was impressed with Tony's video's and his support. anyone who has any info on the new exceed transmitter is most welcome to comment. I plan to start with a sim before I even fire this thing up, just waiting for the heli to arrive on thursay. Ordered a tool kit, cause I know I'm going to need it LOL Thanks for the support, keep it coming!!!!

Thanks, Bruce

bvarney

I bought a camera for the beast so I can videon all the fantastic crashes LOL, I'll be sure to send!

bvarney

Anybody got feedback on X-heli.com? Seems kind of lame, been watching other threads and they don't seem to respond well. did I make a mistake ordering my heli from them?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hey are ok. Never had issues with orders.. But, what they sell isn't their fault... You pick what you want from their selection. And if you pick come thing bad, it's kind of not their shortcoming (until it just doesn't work, then it is) ..

But they have some good things.. Some ok and some bad.. Just take advice here before buying and you'll be golden..

murankar

Staff member
I had one issue with them that was it. Took a really long time to get my order. Their customer service is ran through a forum rcdiscuss.com. I bought my EXI 450 from them, so far they have not impressed me. use them a couple times and see what you think.

bvarney

Thanks everyone for the input. My new Heli should be here today, then the fun begins! I'll post and give everyone the skinny.

Thanks,
Bruce

bvarney

Sorry for the long post, but thought everyone should read this. First hover flight with the G2 went well, getting my bearings, no issues. Charged the battery, went for second hover flight. 2 minutes into second flight THE ESC EXPLODES INTO BALL OF FIRE, COPTER GOES HARD RIGHT. Dug the main blades into ground and strips 2" of teeth off of main gear. I check transmitter settings, I'm only at 75% power at full stick, no 3-d switch. I contact X-Heli and got ABSOLUTLEY no help. O.K. fine, I'm on my own. Oder $114.00 worth of new parts with next day shipping to find out that after removing all the main frame screws to replace the main gear, the entire frame is GLUED TOGETHER! After careful muscle, got the parts replaced, to find that the aileron servo gears are stripped too. ENOUGH for me! Want to by a G2 with controller dirt cheap? contact me! So, I go online, buy an Align Trex 450 sport super combo. Then a Spektrum DX6i transmitter with receiver. I know....over the top for a newbie, but I'm not the kind to buy junk! Tony's great info on the controller will serve me well with set up. The copter from what I have read is easier to repair, parts are available everywhere. Plus, no more X-Heli for me, absolutley 0% customer help or willingness to make it right. I'm confident that there was nothing I did to cause the ESC to explode! I'll let you know how the new copter build goes. Probably going to need help from Tony for set up.
Thanks!!!!!
Bruce

Lee

Welcome Bruce.
Not good news regarding Xheli and that G2
Let us know what help you need with the 450. You're gonna love it. :D

Tony

Staff member
Wow Bruce, that really sucks. There was a time when E-Sky was bursting into flames like that but they got that fixed, maybe this company bought all of their bad ESC's lmao.

As for the trex, you will love it bro! Everything is pretty much perfect out of the box, just put it together like the manual shows, and you won't have any issues. All of the setup videos I have done on the HK450GT will be exactly what you need to do to this new heli. Same goes for the DX6i obviously.

As always, we are here to help 100%. There is almost always someone on here willing to lend a helping hand no matter what time of day it is. And when Lee gets his butt back to Spain, it will be even better lmao. Good luck Bruce, again that sucks. Got Video of the fireball? That would be epic and why there is almost always a video camera rolling, you just never know what is going to happen lol.

bvarney

Thanks lee, I'm excited to get into flying, and I know it's a game of patience. I'm at my wits end with the cheap products selling for big money! sso, I bought what I have read to be about the top of the heap. Help me out guys and we will get this right.

Bruce

bvarney

Thanks Tony, no video, I bought the cam, but was concentrating on getting the bird in the air first before messing around with the cam. It was spectacular fireworks! this ESC literally EXPLODED!
After I hooked up the new ESC, all the electronics, receiver, servos etc. worked fine except the servo that must have took a hit too that I didn't know about. No more Walkera or X -heli for me!
I'm pumped about the TREX and the DX6i, and I know you guys will guide me right. Like I posted, over the top for a newbie, but I'm determined to do this right.

Thanks Tony, I'm sure I'll have questions as we go.

Bruce

Lee

Not over the top at all mate. The 450 was my first heli and i think Tonys too.

@Tony Not long now mate and i'll be back over the other side of the pond. Did you see my new video in my office job thread? Been windy here the last few days. :D

bvarney

Anybody that is experienced, willing to take the G2, tune it up, and give it to a newbie that maybe doesn't have the funds for a copter is weclome to it. not the best copter for a newbie, but willing to help someone get into heli's. All I ask is the cost of shipping. I have bunch of blades, a couple batteries etc. to go with it.

Bruce

Lee

I actually rebuilt one of those when i was in Cape Town South Africa last year for some one. I'm a bit far away to take it on though.

bvarney

Thanks Lee,
Maybe I started something, anybody got copters that are usable, (fixed blade, coxaxials etc) that they are willing to donate to boost the sport? I'm willing! I'm sure there are folks out there who love the sport, but lack the ability to afford the cost. I'm more than willing to help the cause. Maybe a new post for RC-Help?
Bruce

Bruce

Tony

Staff member
Not over the top at all mate. The 450 was my first heli and i think Tonys too.

@Tony Not long now mate and i'll be back over the other side of the pond. Did you see my new video in my office job thread? Been windy here the last few days. :D

The Dynam E-Razor 450 was my first heli, and I'm lucky to be where I am now after that POS lmao. and I have not watched it yet, but the still pic on teh video is great with the guy inverted lol.

I sent you a PM on the helicopter, just let me know.

Top Bottom