newbie from illinois

bvarney

Hello RC-Help!
The Trex 450 sport super combo V2 was sitting at my door when I got home today. WOW, have I got some work to do. As you might know, this entire Heli has to be assembled. I am extremly impressed with the quality of the parts. This is a really nice kit, and will require some time to assemble, but I think it is well worth the cause. I did a short video that I will try to post to youtube tomorrow. Can I be late for work tomorrow if I stay up half the night putting together my new ride?
I'll keep you guy's posted as we go, hopefully with some video from my iphone. Never posted anything on Youtube before, so keep your fingers crossed.

THANKS!
Bruce

Tony

Staff member
Bruce, this is the best way to get into the hobby bro. You have to build everything, you know where it goes, and how to get to it. The instructions are second to none and if you follow them exactly, you will have a better heli than I have ever had. Good luck, and can't wait to see the video.

murankar

Staff member
Good luck on the build. I was just looking at the tarot 450 pro today. boy sounds really tempting, all though it is the TT version.

bvarney

heloooo RC Help!
The Trex 450 Sport Super Combo V2 has arrived! What a machine! Even in pieces, it is one great looking heli. I can't wait to start slowly assembling this stud heli. Tony no doubt is going to get tired of hearing from me, but this is going to get built right. The DX6i transmitter and receiver will be here Monday. Won't need that for a bit, but on the way anyhow. Tony also suggested a different battery charger, so pull out the plastic again and went for the Thunder charger he suggested. (pretty soon the plastic will look like the G2 ESC fire bomb lol). I did a video on the Trex 450 out of the box and posted to utube, here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3kqv76uFQ Turn up your volume! This was my first ever video to utube and I should have been closer to the mic on my iphone. Enjoy, drool and I will do a couple more videos as we get this bad boy built.

Thanks to everyone for the support, the advise and the friendship, this is a great site!!!!

Bruce

Tony

Staff member
Actually, when you start installing the electronics, you will need the Tx. You will have to center all of your servos and adjust all of your links with it. The head alone could take you a day to setup, but it's worth it to do it correctly. Watching video now...

bvarney

I know the tx will be needed at that point, but it looks like I have a ways to go before I'm ready to set the servos. When it's needed, it's here.
I sent you a pm about the G2.

Bruce

Tony

Staff member
Did you look at the Manual I have here on teh site? It's a 450 SE manual, but may be close. I just tried to download the manual from Align, and it no workie lol. Hope you get it figured out soon. Can't believe they didn't send you a kit with an engrish manual :lmao:

Good luck man, and I will never get tired of people asking me questions. As long as you guys are doing that, I know you guys are learning and I get to provide the help. You just let us know what you need.

bvarney

should have signed up for a chinese heli class lol! (swash plate = rice bowl lol) not one word is in english. I have search the web and not found the manual in english. I downloaded a 450 sport manual which may help me cross translate some of the high points and the basics. There is a very big difference in the rotor head assy. and the changes they have made to the V2. No worries, we will figure it out. The nice thing about the kit is that every step is separatly bagged and numbered, then referenced to the manual. this helps at least identify the parts.

Bruce

bvarney

Hi everyone,
Thanks Tony for the manual help, between the one you found, and another one I found, chinese didn't slow me down much. The TREX 450 SS Combo v2 is mostly mechanically built. Just so you know, I have about 16 hours into this build so far, and still counting. First and foremost, alot of the assembly is yours to do, what is assembled is only loosley assembled and I spent 4 hours on blue loktite on every metal to metal fastener on this heli. Quality is Great! everything lines up pefectly, every fastener and part is pretty much obvious. Even with the chinese instructions, not bad. Every bag of parts is labled with a number that relates to the instructions.The standard 450 sport instructions do not quite work, this is the V2 (version 2), the head, gyro mount, receiver mount etc. is upgraded so the instruction for the standard do not work. The new DX6i TX and receiver are here. Now i have to mount all the electronics. A couple more parts I ordered are in transit, swash leveler etc. Will probably wait until the weekend to start all that as I want total concentration on set up. This is a killer looking heli, and seems like it's going to fly like it looks! Am I glad I bit the bullet and went with the TREX! Over the weekend I will do another video to post.
Tony... are the settings in your video's for the DX6i good for this heli? If there are tweaks can you make recomendations?
I have been looking at some of the videos posted and some of you guys are SICK!!!! I hope someday I can pilot this bird like you!!!!

Thanks to all for the support and wisdom! Post again soon.

THANKS
Bruce

Tony

Staff member
The setup videos I have will relate exactly to this heli and the Tx. Just remember, they are starting points and you should play around with them and adjust them accordingly to your liking when you get in the air and feel comfortable. Glad you are liking this build, can't wait to see it in action.

bvarney

Hi Tony,
I get it, starting points. I got a long way to go yet, have to get into the nuts and bolts of the set up now, both the heli and the TX. I have been doing alot of understanding in how all the functions work within the heli, and you were absolutly right, you have to build one from the ground up to truly understand the mechanics. It's much clearer when you put each part in place and uderstand what it does. I payed very close attention to building this heli, and my understanding of all that goes on is much clearer. I estimate the first flight at two weeks away, if I can stay at it. I want everything as close as possible before I attempt this. I have measured every linkage with a vernier, checked every screw as I went. I have truly enjoyed building this Heli. Thanks again, and I will post more video this weekend.

Bruce

Tony

Staff member
Not to sound redundant, but the linkage lengths are also a starting point. Although they are very close, even for a knockoff, there is still a little room to improve on it through setting the head up correctly.

bvarney

Hi Tony,
I understand it's a process, that's why I spent the extra money for some tools, like a swash leveler, tilt gage etc. to help get it close.

Thanks!
Bruce

Tony

Staff member
Ah, but with those tools, you will get it exact lol. Your doing it correctly man, keep it up.

bvarney

Hi Tony,
Slow and steady, the name of the game. I started doing basic servo mounting tonight, no arms or linkages, just the servos. Prep for the weekend when I can really get my head into it (before the alcohol does lol). Figuring out wire routing etc., I want everything to be clean and visually appealing as well. Looks like I need to shorten 1 maybe two servo wire sets, gonna have to do some soldering. I am not a fan of all the extra wire hanging all over, bunched up in a knot. That doesn't come from military, but machine builder experience. Friday night I plan to spend the evening sitting with the DX6i and your video's, plugging in the basic settings. Every time I work on this heli I get more excited for the day when she will fly. But patience is a must, and patience we will do. Heck, I'm even putting lights on this bad boy as I go. So far, working out good. No good way to get lights to the tail rotor area though, wires have to be exposed and that's just ugly. I'll figure out something.

The march goes on!

Thanks, Bruce

bvarney

Hello all,

The Trex 450 SSC V2 is mostly built and basic adjustments made. I have tried a couple of cautious spool ups and got really nervous! I ordered a set of oversize training wheels (LOL) for this bird before I go any further. In hover, the bird wants to lift the left skid first, and slightly nose down (looking from the tail end of the copter). I think this is some upper linkage adjustment and a little trim adjustment. The swash leveling is dead on, pitch in idle up is exactly the same from low throttle to high throttle (+10 deg. / -10deg.). Gonna wait for the training wheels begfore I even attempt hover.

Thanks everyone for the help! I'm sure I'll need more before this heli flies!

Bruce

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Looks beautiful dude!! Hope to keep
It in one peice..? Lol if not.. Hey! We all love building beautiful awesome things don't we? ;)

Top Bottom