Other New Tx? Looking for Feedback

Heliman450

The DC14 looks like a really great piece of kit. The only thing i don't like about the Jeti approach is selling the Tx with only quite basic programming options and making you pay extra to add features. It just seems like sneaky marketing to me, which is why i also dont like the Mikado or Beastx way of doing business.

Does it come with voice alerts or is that also a paid upgrade?

It would be a big decision for me to swap Tx brands as receivers for my helis and fixed wing fleet would cost a small fortune.

Hi Steve, I'm lucky to be doing the changeover when I only have four helis (1 is really scrap). That's one reason for biting the bullet now as my JR ProPo DSX9 needs minus five points of elevator trim and plus seven of aileron trim to give me a stable hover on the simulator. I just didn't trust it any more after falling off my bicycle some time back and badly damaging the case, although I couldn't see anything untoward on the receiver.

My supplier is just down the road so very handy. I was ready to cough up 1,600CHF (1,773USD!) for the DC-16 with all the options. However, he explained to me that I just won't need them yet unless I go for many more channels when I build a scale heli (hopefully in the not too distant future before I die). There are 5 from 10 announcements on events built in for the DC-14 but no voice outputs (I don't use them now so can wait).

I paid 800CHF and another 59 Euros (after using the included 30 Euros voucher). The add-ons aren't that expensive, but I didn't do a comparison to the in-store price if I bought everything this way. I have two more channels available to me if needed.

After looking at the manual and surfing around the menus, I can see that most of its features are geared up for aeroplanes rather than helis.

Can't say that I blame anybody for not wanting to pay for new receivers on a fleet of models to match the transmitter. I was really wanting to go forward with the Ex-Bus technology "under the hood". If you want any more info., fire away!

Bye!

murankar

Staff member
Here are the pros to the Jeti: there are at least three fbl units out there that are or will be supported in the radio, it has a high level of configurations one can do, it does has expandability to it, recently released a pre programed helicopter edition, Bert kammerer also has his version available at bkdesignsllc.com.

Come: cost. All I can say about the price is that while it is high it's not like you'll be buying a new one in a year or 2. This is a one time purchase for a wide range of uses.

Mikado is the same way. In the end ; in reality you will not be replacing this in a year or two. The only real reason to replace these radios is if you want something new.

Spectrum DX line is a great introduction type radio. Lots of people have them, most clubs have pilots that use them and there is a huge community out there for them. Down side, still can't program an FBL unit with it. At this point in the game I personally can't put Specktrum in the one time purchase category. From what I have heard, seen and experienced I don't think it's a one time purchase. There is something about the radios that leaves wanting more from it. Again that's just me, I know I'll get squashed here before to long .

Jr radio are just expensive for what you get. I wouldn't even consider Jr at thus point.

Graupner is also a great choice if you like frills bells and whistles. They have a color touch screen on the MZ24 which is priced well under $500. There rx options are inexpensive and again this radio lends itself to being a one time purchase. The only reason to switch is either it doesn't work for you or you want something new.

Lastly is futaba: nice radio, steep learning curve. Pricey all around. One time purchase. With the 10J radio it's even at a great price point. Along with that you get Futaba quality. I really like Futaba and it lost out the the VControl. Why, fbl programming.

I am not going to tell you to get any one radio. I like what I got but I won't say it's the best or another radio is the best. What it boils down to is what you think you need in the radio. If you want one that does not use "pots" then you going to have to pay for that. Make a list of Must haves and would likes. Then compare radios. I just gave you a bunch to look at. I only use one of them so I am not a subject mater expert on any of the. All I know is that some of them made my final list just before I bought mine.

Personally I wanted to be able to program my fbl unit. Since I wanted that I was stuck with one brand. That's just how it goes. Before I got the VControl I bought a DX6, and looked at side by side the Gruapner Mz24, Futaba 10J and the VControl. Almost looked at the Jeti also.

Last edited:

Heliman450

I followed the li K to this thread. What is it that you need help with exactly?

Hi Mathias, I don't need any help on this any more. My request was originally for feedback on the issue of a change to a Jeti transmitter. With no feedback, I just assumed nobody had any experience of them to give me so went with my gut.

The link is just to close the loop on the issue. Neil's contribution was invaluable as my T-Rex is fitted with the Spirit Pro and is now linked in with my new Jeti DC-14.

Thanks for looking in.

murankar

Staff member
As for Jeti I only know 2 people with it, that's it. It's a great radio for what it is. It is defiantly worth taking a look at. Justin Pucci at rchn has one and loves the crap out of it. He does speed flying so he has a robust telemetry system that talks to his jeti. Jlog is the unit he uses for his speed marines. You really can't ask for a better radio. I still won't say it's the best. You need to make that choice.

Smoggie

Jeti is certainly the radio brand everyone is talking about these days, the 3rd FBL integration is a great feature and unique as far as I know.

I'm a Spektrum user but I have got a bit disillusioned with Spektrum lately. They just seem to be behind the curve in a few areas, not even having integration with their own Spektrum FBL units is one such example of where they are lagging. But even so I'm still happy enough with my DX18. The new kid on the block that grabs my attention is the new FrSky Horus. it's got a feature set that leaves pretty much everything else in the weeds at a great price, plus it accepts modules so i could still fly my Spektrum receiver equipped planes and helis with it. FrSky receivers are cheap too so converting wouldn't be too expensive.

Hopefully 3rd party FBL integration will be something FrSky and others look at, i can't imagine it will stay unique to Jeti for long

Heliman450

I bought my JR ProPo in 2008 mainly because it looked cool alongside the others on the shelf. My then advisor was very helpful in many things and explained that it contained a lot of stuff I didn't need. That didn't matter at the time, so I bought it and it's looked good and has done what I wanted from it................until just recently. Now I know a bit more about the RC world, I think that I've made the best choice for me going forwards.

My old stuff? Well, if my JR radio proves to be no longer worthy of use, then I intend to buy a cheap Spektrum rather than upgrade the receivers to use with the Jeti. Otherwise, I'll just continue with the JR on my two small helis.

My future direction with the hobby.............I doubt very much that I'll buy anything smaller than a 700. I was thinking of 900 before embarking upon my scale heli project. She who must be obeyed wants to see me flying around with what I already have before I buy another heli. Sometimes the lady in your life just sees things too logically. We've already agreed the provisional budget and I'm pretty sure that it will cover the heli but the method of transporting it is another matter.

Have you still got your truck Tony??? :biggrin-new:

Top Bottom