Other New Tx? Looking for Feedback

Heliman450

Hi all, I'm looking for some feedback on possible wear on my 7 years old JR ProPo DSX9 potentiometers and if so, what replacement I should buy. Here's the story..........

For a while now, I've been getting buzzing noises from the servos on my Blade 450X (mainly the tail) but now that I've just fitted a Spirit Pro to my Align 550E, the diagnostic tab is showing bold for the tail servo and the aileron. According to their instructions, this is indicative of wear on the potentiometers. Indeed, when I move the sticks slightly and release them it stops on the aileron but comes back on the tail.

This is the first real evidence of the problem rather than just my own suspicions.

The replacement? I believe that the Jeti system doesn't use potentiometers but the Tx's are much more expensive than say Spektrum. Over to you guys for comments.

Smoggie

Have you tried fine tuning the centre point with sub trim in the Tx. I've often found that stick centre does not always correspond with 'neutral' in the FBL setup, but a click or two of sub trim usually fixes it.

Heliman450

Have you tried fine tuning the centre point with sub trim in the Tx. I've often found that stick centre does not always correspond with 'neutral' in the FBL setup, but a click or two of sub trim usually fixes it.

Hi Grunpy, I checked out the dead-band adjustment under the "Advanced" tab in the Spirit software and it didn't seem to make any difference. The instructions say not to use sub-trim for the cyclic control but it's ok for the pitch. I am running 6 points of sub-trim in the collective to get zero degrees pitch at 50% stick.

However, the problem I'm describing existed pre my Spirit Pro purchase. It's only now that I'm using a PC for the first time with this gyro that it's showing something in the software to explain why I hear the buzzing.

Heliman450

Hi all, yesterday, I did a test on my three flight ready helis and all are spinning wildly before lift-off. Currently, I'm working on the assumption that there is too much positive tail rotor pitch in the neutral position. I tested the Blade 450X at 10mm, 15mm and 18mm between the blade tips and got the same result. It just doesn't seem to make any difference what the setting is. Could it be my Tx.?

All feedback much appreciated.

Smoggie

if you are using heading hold then too much positive (or not enough) would not cause the heli to spin. If it's spinning in heading hold that can only really mean that either the gain is turned way down or the gyro response direction is reversed.

Take the heli in hand and yaw the tail left and right and make 110% sure that the response direction is correct.. Rule is that the trailing edge of the tail blades should respond in the same direction that the tail moves... Lots of people seen to get this wrong, and the result is the heli spins.

Heliman450

Hi Smoggie, I'll take another look in order to be 110% correct, but what puzzles me is that it's doing it on the Blade, which hasn't had any changes made to its gyro or Tx. settings only a rebuilt main rotor head. The other two are carrying new gyros albeit that the Beam is a flybar heli.

Smoggie

Possibly on the 450X you got the twist of the belt reversed so driving the tail rotor backward.. that would do it.

Heliman450

Possibly on the 450X you got the twist of the belt reversed so driving the tail rotor backward.. that would do it.

Hi Smoggie, the Blade doesn't have a belt on the main rotor, only the tail rotor and that hasn't been touched since it was last in the air. I'll check out the gyro actions as you suggest and get back.

Smoggie

i knew, I meant the tail rotor... 'if' you had removed the tail belt when doing the head you could have got the twist reversed making that tail rotor spin backward... But if you didnt remove it then that's obviously not it.

So that only leaves gyro setting, the response reversed (unlikely if you havent touched the gyro or tail mechanism)... or the gain is turned way down (that's very possible if you have set it up on a new Tx?) Failing that then it could be a basic hardware problem such as the tail servo not working. Any of these issues should be apparent if you check gyro response.

If it all checks out when you test the gyro response then the only other possibility that i can think of is high vibrations knocking out the gyro.

Heliman450

i knew, I meant the tail rotor... 'if' you had removed the tail belt when doing the head you could have got the twist reversed making that tail rotor spin backward... But if you didnt remove it then that's obviously not it.

So that only leaves gyro setting, the response reversed (unlikely if you havent touched the gyro or tail mechanism)... or the gain is turned way down (that's very possible if you have set it up on a new Tx?) Failing that then it could be a basic hardware problem such as the tail servo not working. Any of these issues should be apparent if you check gyro response.

If it all checks out when you test the gyro response then the only other possibility that i can think of is high vibrations knocking out the gyro.

Hi Smoggie, thanks for getting back again. I'm checking it out this morning. I think it could be the gyro sensitivity being low. How would you define "way down"? For example, on the Blade, the AR7200BX indicator lights alter in a range of about 4% variation in the Tx. setting and the 'H' indicator light was on. I just increased the setting to switch over to the 'G' indicator and currently have 54% for the 'GEAR' channel this was equivalent to about 7% increase.

I need to do a test hover later on, I can't just go outside and do it, I must go to the flying field (Swiss rules, I'm sure someone would come knocking or I'd get a fine through the door :nono:).

However, the main reason for my thread is to get some feedback on the Tx. issue. Since getting my Spirit Pro and setting it up with a PC it's the first time I've had an opportunity to actually see a diagnostic, hence, my comments in thread #1. I have to confess that I once came off my bicycle with my Tx. in its case in my rucksack. It was a full upturned tortoise impersonation :Opps: really knocked the wind out of me as well as maximum embarrassment :homer:. It's since then that I've noticed the buzzing from the servos, which seems worse as time goes on. My "flying" consists only of test hovering with a bit of more adventurous moves that have resulted in crashes so nobody else is at risk yet. I'd like to feel confident that my next crash isn't as a result of any Tx. failure(s).

Smoggie

If they are digital servos then some buzzing is normal, they all do it.

As for the centring and the Spirit not showing exact centre.... You can use sub trim to fix this, trust me!. You will find a click or two of sub trim will centre the indicator up perfectly, and as long as it now consistently centres (and not drifts each time you centre the stick) then all is perfectly fine. This is how I set up all my FBL controllers and even with a brand new TX I usually need a small adjustment on sub-trim to get a perfect centre indication.

If you think about it all that matters is that the FBL 'sees' a centre signal when you centre the stick.. The FBL has no way of knowing or 'caring' if you needed to use a little sub trim to achieve it.

What you can't use sub trim for is levelling the servo arms, that must be done by adjusting in the Spirit software.

Heliman450

Cheers Smoggie, I have set up the Spirit Pro using sub trim as you describe and levelled the servo arms as per the setup. Let you know how it goes for the gyro tuning....................... wife took the car for an appointment, so not this afternoon!

murankar

Staff member
Okay my a.d.d. is kicking in. So if it's spinning while in hh mode then try this. First put the heli in rate mode; fly it and see how bad it spins. My guess is the tail rotor is not mechanically setup. The heli should not drift or spin while in rate mode.

Once the tail is setup then go and flip into head hold. If it still spins then it's the gyro. It should hold rock solid with maybe some shaking which is a gain issue. Also don't use any sub trim in the tail.

Heliman450

Okay my a.d.d. is kicking in. So if it's spinning while in hh mode then try this. First put the heli in rate mode; fly it and see how bad it spins. My guess is the tail rotor is not mechanically setup. The heli should not drift or spin while in rate mode.

Once the tail is setup then go and flip into head hold. If it still spins then it's the gyro. It should hold rock solid with maybe some shaking which is a gain issue. Also don't use any sub trim in the tail.

Hi murankar, thanks for the feedback. We just had about 3 inches of snow here with some more forecast soon. I'm expecting a delivery of turnbuckles anytime now so as soon as they're fitted and the snow situation improves, I'm going for a test flight.

Heliman450

Hi all,

I'm still around but have been very busy working on my new transmitter. I decided to buy a Jeti DC-14..................why? I hear someone saying.

Well, I wanted the superior technology contained inside the box (much better stick quality) and as an added bonus, I can now adjust the settings of my Spirit Pro directly from the transmitter using the Ex-Bus system. Of course, this meant that I slipped down the learning curve as it's very different to what I've been used to, but I made it and am ready to do the (delayed) maiden flight of my T-Rex 550E as soon as the field has cleared of snow. Can't forecast when that will be, but asap.

Of course, I'll do everything I can to include a video.

Bye now!

Heliman450

Hi mate glad your sorted a video is a rule of the site , so you better do one lol, you did read item on the cyclic ring of the spirit pro is wrong and will make the heli explode you need the max of 10 degs pitch we was all getting 17.5 to 19 degs, it here if you missed it
If you have a Spirit gyro you must read this

Hi Neil, thanks for the heads-up on this. I'll follow all the contributions and digest it all tomorrow.

I can set a cyclic ring in my new Tx. but working on the same basis that there shouldn't be any conflict between the Tx. and the gyro, I left it disabled when doing the setup. I checked it out though during my exploration of the new Tx.

Before I test fly, I'll give the Spirit Pro settings the once over again.

Cheers!

Smoggie

The DC14 looks like a really great piece of kit. The only thing i don't like about the Jeti approach is selling the Tx with only quite basic programming options and making you pay extra to add features. It just seems like sneaky marketing to me, which is why i also dont like the Mikado or Beastx way of doing business.

Does it come with voice alerts or is that also a paid upgrade?

It would be a big decision for me to swap Tx brands as receivers for my helis and fixed wing fleet would cost a small fortune.

Top Bottom